Question about bad stylists

Kaela

I've read so many horror stories on this board, and heard horror stories elsewhere about bad stylists. If they are so awful, why are they allowed to get and retain a beautician license? To me its seems like they would be failing all their classes....unless they don't test on actual, real life performance. Like, if you give your clients 2nd degree chemical burns.... I know nothing about how to become a hair stylist or beautician but it just seems insane that they would be allowed to do hair on living persons if they are so incompetent.

Can anyone enlighten me here?
(I'm not saying all stylists are bad I just want to know why there are bad stylists out there giving good stylists a bad name).

karezone

They do what they are supposed to do to pass the tests. In essence the beauty school teachs the skills and how to take the test and pass. Most Cosmetology board test basics like rollersets not chemical services.

Honey

The test to obtain a cosmetology license is very simple and virtually anyone who completes beauty school will pass. Half the test is written, the other practical were skills are tested using a dummy - not an actual person. The practical portion only tests roller setting, giving a basic blunt cut. You also have to set the hair on rods (curl/perm wave) but you don't actually apply any chemical to the hair. Nor are you tested on relaxers or anything associated with 4a/4b hair.

So having a license really doesn't mean anything. Most stylists develop the skill through actually real life practice, which unfortunately means that of the people in these salons don't know what the heck they are doing - especially some of the newer stylists.

Kaela

Wow thats kind of scary. I wish there was some sort of way to regulate this stuff. In Kaela's World, if you give your clients burns and bad service, you should be restricted from performing those services and banned from buying chemical products. Which also makes me wonder why it takes a license to buy certain products, when you haven't been tested or demonstrated that you have the ability to use them correctly...

northernbelle

I believe that the only recourse, short of a lawsuit, is to report incompetent stylists to the Better Business Bureau. After all, salons are in the business of providing quality services, and a report of a poor quality hair service travels quickly.

northernbelle

i agree with you ladies. i live in oregon and very few stylist have taken the time to read about blk hair. our hair is so fargile and senstive. one bad mistake and mean a short bob. my stylist still uses grease on all her clients. plus, i see women comint to her for and the just sit there and don't even ask questions. they just assume the stylist knows best. she just puts a perm on thier hair even if it's in horrible condition. i have personnaly given up on stylist unless it a wash and set.