Tired of Being Bullied by Hair Stylists??

NuMe2004

Hi y'all,

I've read and heard so many stories about pushy hair stylists having their way with our tresses, and this leads me to beg the question: Why are we being bullied by hair stylists?

Any time we pay for a service, we should be able to get EXACTLY what we ask for. I'm tired of stylists doing what they want, regardless of the client's feelings.

I have put my foot down many times to get stylists to take their scissors away from my hair, but I realize that a trim is not the only thing to defend. I must also refuse to allow stylists to apply too much heat to my hair. I do my own hair the majority of the time, but the few times I crave that salon straight mane, it seems it's hard to find someone who can straighten hair without frying the heck out of it.

What procedure do you refuse to allow your stylist to do, and how do you get him/her to cooperate?

ellebelle88

NuMe2004 said:
Hi y'all,

I've read and heard so many stories about pushy hair stylists having their way with our tresses, and this leads me to beg the question: Why are we being bullied by hair stylists?

Any time we pay for a service, we should be able to get EXACTLY what we ask for. I'm tired of stylists doing what they want, regardless of the client's feelings.

I have put my foot down many times to get stylists to take their scissors away from my hair, but I realize that a trim is not the only thing to defend. I must also refuse to allow stylists to apply too much heat to my hair. I do my own hair the majority of the time, but the few times I crave that salon straight mane, it seems it's hard to find someone who can straighten hair without frying the heck out of it.

What procedure do you refuse to allow your stylist to do, and how do you get him/her to cooperate?

I leave! Girl, I am so sick of Black hairstylists having their way with my HAIR! Especially since I've become well-versed at taking care of my hair. Now its like when I ask a hairstylist not to do something to my hair that she usually does to her clients hair, she takes it as an insult. I'm sorry, but I can't have anyone whose mad at me doing my relaxers. Might turn out bald. :lol:

For real though, I really do want to know what they teach in Cosmetology schools because the information that I have learned here does not compare with the way that I see most African-American Hair Stylists doing hair.

I have found an awesome hair-stylist that I'm going to stick with. But as I said before, I no longer trust people with my hair who I don't think are competent in caring for hair. I may go back for an occassional style, but that's about it.

NuMe2004

ljbee said:
For real though, I really do want to know what they teach in Cosmetology schools because the information that I have learned here does not compare with the way that I see most African-American Hair Stylists doing hair.

I was thinking the same thing! The stylist I just went to a few days ago didn't apply any heat protectant to my hair before she started flat ironing it (I should have put a stop to that, I know). She said the "natural oils in my hair would come out." I asked my former stylist about this and even he said that was whack info. Everyone here talks about heat protectants pre heat. There does seem to be two schools of thought when it comes to hair care.

deejoy

I sometimes dont want a trim and I put my foot down. If they hem and haw or try to bully me/persuade me, then I stand firm and in some cases, switch stylists. If they can't cooperate, then I can take my money elsewhere. One former stylist told me I needed my hair cut and showed me where on my hair she wanted to cut to. I said no. This ***** said "Well if you gon get your hair done, you might as well get it done right". WTF? Is it my hair or yours? Am I not paying you? No means no.

ellebelle88

deejoy said:
I sometimes dont want a trim and I put my foot down. If they hem and haw or try to bully me/persuade me, then I stand firm and in some cases, switch stylists. If they can't cooperate, then I can take my money elsewhere. One former stylist told me I needed my hair cut and showed me where on my hair she wanted to cut to. I said no. This ***** said "Well if you gon get your hair done, you might as well get it done right". WTF? Is it my hair or yours? Am I not paying you? No means no.

lol. I totally agree. Just back in November, the hairstylist ASKED me if I wanted a trim. When I said no, she started forcing me to get one saying that its healthier for the hair, blah blah blah. Even after I explained to her that I just had more than a trim 3 weeks prior and didn't think it was time for another one (I just wanted my hair washed and conditioned), she still pried on. I consented after realizing that we were waisting too much time bickering. But I haven't back since!