Question about Braid-outs

newbeginnings2010

Hey everyone! Technically, I'm not a newbie, but this is a new account. I used to be Wishin4BSL, and I'm now transitioning at just about 10 weeks post relaxer. Family and friends are extremely supportive, which is awesome. Most of them are natural as well. I'm still wishing for BSL but I'm too scissor-happy as a relaxed head, so I want to try for BSL stretched as a natural. Anyways, I did my first braid-out last night and I LOVE it! It's now my new favorite hairstyle! Now I'm wondering how to put it up at night. Should I just stick a bonnet on it or re-braid it tonight with moisturizer and/or oil before bed? Advice much appreciated. Thanks!

westNDNbeauty

On my youtube channel FAQ's video I show how I tie my hair as night, as braid outs are my primary means of low manipulation styling and I refuse to have to redo my hair before wash day. My braid outs last all week.

LadyRaider

WestNDNBeauty,

1. Why do you use nioxin in your braidouts?
2. How do you keep body during braidouts? My hair is always kinda stiff (I guess because of fluffy roots?)

NikStarrr

There are lotsa ways to "style" your braidout for sleep. I've done them all:

1. Just throw on a satin bonnet
2. Pin back the sides, not too tight (so that I can sleep on either side of my head on my satin pillow case)
3) Put in about 5-6 loose jumbo twists before putting on the satin bonnet. Don't worry, on natural hair the loose twists won't disturb the pattern of the braidout.

The loose twist method is what gets me the most wear.

Vonnieluvs08

I find if I let my braids "set" for a long time before I wear it out I don't have to manipulate it much through out the week.

I'm lazy and hate to do my hair before bed so most times I just put on my bonnet and tuck the ends. A few times I have twisted first and it still looked good. I can get about a week out of any out style if I let it "set" the first time and use some products that hold.

If your hair holds a pattern easily (mine does) then you should have no problem maintaining a style.:grin:

prospurr4

I REMEMBER YOU...Welcome back! I wish you success with your transition.

Regarding my twistouts: at bedtime, I usually just hold my head upsidedown and put a satin bonnet over my hair. Unfortunately, my twistouts last 2 days max. if I don't re-twist at night.

LadyRaider

My hair won't twist out or bantu knot out. I can do a braid out. I'm wondering if my hair is too fine?

westNDNbeauty

WestNDNBeauty,

1. Why do you use nioxin in your braidouts?
2. How do you keep body during braidouts? My hair is always kinda stiff (I guess because of fluffy roots?)

1. I use Nixoin for detangling and just an extra boost of moisture, as it is a moisturizer, detangler, and heat protectant in one. I really don't care too much about the heat protectant property (simply because I don't believe in heat protectant and I think too many people are mislead/fooled by products labled "heat protectant").

2. I guess because my hair is well conditioned being the reason why I am able to maintain body throughout the life of my braid n' curls. I think the curled portion of my hair helps a bit in giving my hair movement.

hth