Question for my 18+week stretchers...(LONG)

PreteeBella

Okay ladies, here is the scenario. I am 4b and I am currently at 21 weeks. This is my second stretch since finding LHCF (I'm a newbie). My first stretch was 14 weeks. I was able to hold out alternating between a sew-in weave and cornrows. I want to stretch to 27 weeks (for an event). I took my weave out tonight and I had A LOT of shedding and some breakage. Not too much where it was scary, but a good amount for someone who had just removed a sew-in they had had for 6 weeks who should be concerned.

Also I had a little section where my new perm hair had snapped off from my new growth :wallbash: so I was really concerned. I henna(ed), protein(ed) (with Aphogee-the strong smelly kind), overnight DC with Silicon mix, then this morning applied lacio lacio, and sealed with castor oil. I have my hair in two puffs right now because it's taking forever to dry (it's been over 6 hours and it's still slightly damp!)

My problem is this...I am still getting some broken hairs in my hands as I was sealing with castor oil and putting my hair in puffs. I'm not scared, just very concerned. I have a hair apt tomorrow to get my hair cornrowed ( I was going to wear it like that for 6 weeks, getting it re-done at the 3 week mark). Can someone please give me their opinion and let me know if I am on the right track or just what they think overall? Should I perm now or can I hold out for another 6 weeks? Do you ladies experience some breakage stretching this long? Is there something I need to be doing more of with a stretch this long? Is there such a thing as TOO LONG of a stretch? I'm just a little concerned right now (as I stated before) so any help, advice, tips would greatly be appreciated. Thank you ladies! Sorry about all the parenthesis' :look:

loved

I hope you get some good advice w/ this 1. I am a newbie in the middle of my first stretch since joining and I am also using a sew-in. I will have an idea of whether it was worth it when I take my hair down.

I see that you too are in the 4zzz class. Have you found a relaxer that you like?

IntoMyhair

Not a pro but i'll give my 2 cents

you used a lot of protein treatments in 1 day and i did not see anything for moisture

you need to do a few moisture (pure) moisture treatments or your breakage will become worse

i would hold off on the hair due appointment and focus on moisture treatments

< longest stretch was 18 weeks also>

chellero

Wife Supremacist
I agree that you need moisture. And make sure that you pay extra attention to the place where your new growth and your relaxed hair meets or it'll break off there.

Lady Esquire

The ladies are spot on with their advice. I am on week 20 or 21. Concentrating on the demarcation line is so important.

I have learned that when I do protein treatments, to do them as prepoos. And then follow up with moisture treatments, to maintain that balance.

But even with all the balancing, after braids you're bound to get some, hopefully not too much breakage, so try not to worry too much. Too much breakage is a sign of an imbalance OR a sign that its time to relax. You be the judge. Most likely it is the former.

I agree about not going to the hair appointment. When you have so much new growth, too much manipulation is a no no, especially if you just loaded it up with all of that protein. Plus if you're going to be braiding it, that will be adding too much stress on certain strands.

Focus on the moisture.

PreteeBella

Hi loved! Hope you had a great holiday! Yes I'm hoping more ladies will chime in. How long are you planning on stretching? As far as my relaxer goes, I'm using Affirm fiberguard and I like. What are you currently using? There are other's I'd like to try but I don't want to get ahead of myself! :rolleyes:
I hope you get some good advice w/ this 1. I am a newbie in the middle of my first stretch since joining and I am also using a sew-in. I will have an idea of whether it was worth it when I take my hair down.

I see that you too are in the 4zzz class. Have you found a relaxer that you like?

PreteeBella

Thank you for the adivce girl! I deep conditioned overnight with my silicon mix but obviously my hair needs more moisture. When you say pure moisture treatments, what are you refering to? Do you think it would be ok to proceed with the perm if my breakage cuts down? I wasn't going to perm for another 6 weeks...
Not a pro but i'll give my 2 cents

you used a lot of protein treatments in 1 day and i did not see anything for moisture

you need to do a few moisture (pure) moisture treatments or your breakage will become worse

i would hold off on the hair due appointment and focus on moisture treatments

< longest stretch was 18 weeks also>

Last edited:

PreteeBella

Hey lady!! You are so right. I knew I would have some breakage due to the braids so yes I was a wreck at first but then I had to realize it was inevitable. How do you wear your hair when you are stretching this long? When you say protein treatments as pre-poos, are you referring to ORS or something along those line? Sorry about all the questions!
The ladies are spot on with their advice. I am on week 20 or 21. Concentrating on the demarcation line is so important.

I have learned that when I do protein treatments, to do them as prepoos. And then follow up with moisture treatments, to maintain that balance.

But even with all the balancing, after braids you're bound to get some, hopefully not too much breakage, so try not to worry too much. Too much breakage is a sign of an imbalance OR a sign that its time to relax. You be the judge. Most likely it is the former.

I agree about not going to the hair appointment. When you have so much new growth, too much manipulation is a no no, especially if you just loaded it up with all of that protein. Plus if you're going to be braiding it, that will be adding too much stress on certain strands.

Focus on the moisture.

PreteeBella

Thank you chellero. Clearly this happened before so I have been extra worried, thus the reasoning for the thread! I was so focused on moisturizing my new growth, I think I neglected my permed hair :perplexed
I agree that you need moisture. And make sure that you pay extra attention to the place where your new growth and your relaxed hair meets or it'll break off there.

hothair

I'm natural but from what I understand you should concentrate more on your ends as your new growth is stronger, the line of demarcation (btw perm and new growth) is weakest which is why it breaks easier check www.growafrohairlong.com she's got some advice on making sure your hair doesn't break along the demarcation line. Good luck.

PS: I also agree you need a moisture treatment, I use Nexxus Humectress but Keracare Humecto would work too, there're some others but these I've used myself:yep:

Proudpiscean

Focus on the moisture.

I agree with everything you said here :yep:

Lady Esquire

Hey lady!! You are so right. I knew I would have some breakage due to the braids so yes I was a wreck at first but then I had to realize it was inevitable. How do you wear your hair when you are stretching this long? When you say protein treatments as pre-poos, are you referring to ORS or something along those line? Sorry about all the questions!

Pretee, I wear my hair in a bun or ponytail most of the time. I try to wear 'em pretty loose, in order to prevent too much stress on my strands. This weekend, which marked week 21 in my stretch, I wore my hair in some loose cornrows around the house.

When I do protein treatments, I usually use ORS Hair Mayo on dry hair. Sometimes I use the ORS Replenishing Pak or cholesterol. But the mayo is my fav. I get the best results when I use heat, wearing a cap, under my hooded dryer anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, just depends...but usually an average of 30 mins under dryer. I follow this protein prepoo by shampooing and conditioning.

If I want to use a light protein, I use Aphogee Two-Minute Intensive or Motions Reconstructor or Motions CPR, and instead of using it as a prepoo, I usually use these lighter ones after shampooing, in the shower followed by Nexuss Humectress. Or if I am pressed for time, or if I am really worried about moisture, I will apply Humectress on top of the protein and sit under the dryer.

Recently I have been getting the broken hairs you're referring to, so I need to keep an eye on that a bit closer, but I do know that the stretching is causing 50% of it, and another 50% is due to henna.

Last edited:

PreteeBella

Lady thank you so much for chiming in! I probably won't stretch this long again but this has been quite an experience. I think I am going to give the ORS a try. I'm still trying to get the protein/moisture regimen down and this seems to be a staple of ladies on the boards. I'm going to try it with heat as you recommended. I have a bottle of humectress that I was using for the longest time but lately I haven't been AS impressed with it as I was at first. So right now I'm using silicon mix and I like it but I might have to give my humectress another go. Since I henna and stretch like you maybe I can calm my nerves a little. I really appreciate all the advice!
Pretee, I wear my hair in a bun or ponytail most of the time. I try to wear 'em pretty loose, in order to prevent too much stress on my strands. This weekend, which marked week 21 in my stretch, I wore my hair in some loose cornrows around the house.

When I do protein treatments, I usually use ORS Hair Mayo on dry hair. Sometimes I use the ORS Replenishing Pak or cholesterol. But the mayo is my fav. I get the best results when I use heat, wearing a cap, under my hooded dryer anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, just depends...but usually an average of 30 mins under dryer. I follow this protein prepoo by shampooing and conditioning.

If I want to use a light protein, I use Aphogee Two-Minute Intensive or Motions Reconstructor or Motions CPR, and instead of using it as a prepoo, I usually use these lighter ones after shampooing, in the shower followed by Nexuss Humectress. Or if I am pressed for time, or if I am really worried about moisture, I will apply Humectress on top of the protein and sit under the dryer.

Recently I have been getting the broken hairs you're referring to, so I need to keep an eye on that a bit closer, but I do know that the stretching is causing 50% of it, and another 50% is due to henna.

PreteeBella

Thank you ladies! I am going to moisture moisture moisture for the next 6 weeks in hopes that this shedding/breaking will stop. Hothair thank you for the wonderful website reference. It is an excellent website. I'm beginning a moisturizing regimen with my cornrows today. Thank you so much ladies. You all are the BEST!
I'm natural but from what I understand you should concentrate more on your ends as your new growth is stronger, the line of demarcation (btw perm and new growth) is weakest which is why it breaks easier check www.growafrohairlong.com she's got some advice on making sure your hair doesn't break along the demarcation line. Good luck.

PS: I also agree you need a moisture treatment, I use Nexxus Humectress but Keracare Humecto would work too, there're some others but these I've used myself:yep:

I agree...Nexxus Humectress is about the best moisture based conditioner that i have used...it does the trick!