TWELEVE WEEK STRETCHERS

Samaria

I see alot of ladies who only stretch to twelve weeks? I'm curious, is this better than me stretching 20 weeks without a relaxer? I am really curious so I'll know if I'm doing whats best for my hair. And I don't lose much hair at all stretching this far btw

karezone

your hair will tell you what it can stand. It depends on how long you can keep away breakage and personal preference.

secretdiamond

It's funny you say only 12 when I'm proud of myself for making it to 12. LOL. I've made it to 12 easily b4, but I just cant go past that. I guess it depends on your hair's responsiveness. If it starts breaking and become too unmanageable at 12, then I relax, however, if my hair is still going strong, I'll go longer. It seems that you have successfully gone 20 wks post b4, so you should be fine. Just stick to a good regimen and monitor your hair. HTH

Samaria

secretdiamond said:
It's funny you say only 12 when I'm proud of myself for making it to 12. LOL. I've made it to 12 easily b4, but I just cant go past that. I guess it depends on your hair's responsiveness. If it starts breaking and become too unmanageable at 12, then I relax, however, if my hair is still going strong, I'll go longer. It seems that you have successfully gone 20 wks post b4, so you should be fine. Just stick to a good regimen and monitor your hair. HTH

Maybe Im wrong it seems like all the ladies with lovely long hair only go between 12-16 weeks post and maybe Im hindering myself ?

MizAvalon

I stretch to 20 weeks but you have to do what's best for your hair. I started slowly though. First 12, then 14, 16, etc. I feel like 20 is *just* enough before I start going crazy. I'm currently at 16 1/2 weeks and will be relaxing at the end of the month.

Samaria

MizAvalon said:
I stretch to 20 weeks but you have to do what's best for your hair. I started slowly though. First 12, then 14, 16, etc. I feel like 20 is *just* enough before I start going crazy. I'm currently at 16 1/2 weeks and will be relaxing at the end of the month.

At one point I stretched alll the way to 8 months(DUE TO LACK OF FINANCES!!!) when I relaxed my hair it was past my back and then some , I couldn't believe it. I had never ever felt my hair touch my back, I felt like something was danging from my head and I didnt know what it was, once she was done with my hair I look and was like oh my, that's my hair. lol

MizAvalon

Samaria said:
At one point I stretched alll the way to 8 months(DUE TO LACK OF FINANCES!!!) when I relaxed my hair it was past my back and then some , I couldn't believe it. I had never ever felt my hair touch my back, I felt like something was danging from my head and I didnt know what it was, once she was done with my hair I look and was like oh my, that's my hair. lol

LOL@ you wondering what was touching your back!

How was your hair after the 8 months? I always hear people say not to wait as long as I do because it might break off. I've never found that to be true so I just ignore them, but my hairdresser did say that there's a chance of underporocessing when you wait a while. Did that happen for you? Because honestly, ever since I started using pure Shea Butter as my moisturizer my new growth has been so soft that I feel like I could probably go longer than 20 weeks.

So was your hair evenly processed after the 8 months?

Samaria

MizAvalon said:

How was your hair after the 8 months? I always hear people say not to wait as long as I do because it might break off. I've never found that to be true so I just ignore them, but my hairdresser did say that there's a chance of underporocessing when you wait a while. Did that happen for you? Because honestly, ever since I started using pure Shea Butter as my moisturizer my new growth has been so soft that I feel like I could probably go longer than 20 weeks.

Yeah, actually I was suprised how straight it was. Not sure if my having IDK I guess "fine" hair had anything to do with it. She went through my head before she began and asked me, dang girl how long you been without? I said 8 months. She screamed OH MY LORD 8 MONTHS?? Yeah. I never had any breakage and she kept telling me how great my hair was taken care of to be so long without a TU.

Man I was so happy to swing my hair from side to side and it swing!

czyfaith77

Samaria said:
Yeah, actually I was suprised how straight it was. Not sure if my having IDK I guess "fine" hair had anything to do with it. She went through my head before she began and asked me, dang girl how long you been without? I said 8 months. She screamed OH MY LORD 8 MONTHS?? Yeah. I never had any breakage and she kept telling me how great my hair was taken care of to be so long without a TU.

Man I was so happy to swing my hair from side to side and it swing!

Alright! Thank you, thank you, thank you for the words of encouragement! I am currently going for 6 months. What was your regime to eliminate breakage, what were your staple products and styles. Next Saturday, I will be half way there. :)

Crystalicequeen123

WOW! 8 Months?? Gurll....I'm scared of you! LOL* :lol: The longest I ever went was 15 weeks, and by then I was dying! It wasn't too hard per-se stretching that long, but by the time she finally put the comb in my hair to part it for a relaxer, I was in tears! It hurt so bad! How on earth did you overcome the NEW growth pains??

ANyway, I usually wait 12 weeks. Not becuase of any "standard" on this board or hair books, but more so because I listen to my hair. I've tried 14 and 15 weeks, and I found that to be a bit much. And when I tried 10 weeks, I found that to be too early. So, I settled happily for 12 weeks. Who knows though, maybe in the future (if I can control my ng better) I can stretch to 15-20 weeks! ;)

Samaria

Crystalicequeen123 said:
WOW! 8 Months?? Gurll....I'm scared of you! LOL* :lol: The longest I ever went was 15 weeks, and by then I was dying! It wasn't too hard per-se stretching that long, but by the time she finally put the comb in my hair to part it for a relaxer, I was in tears! It hurt so bad! How on earth did you overcome the NEW growth pains??

ANyway, I usually wait 12 weeks. Not becuase of any "standard" on this board or hair books, but more so because I listen to my hair. I've tried 14 and 15 weeks, and I found that to be a bit much. And when I tried 10 weeks, I found that to be too early. So, I settled happily for 12 weeks. Who knows though, maybe in the future (if I can control my ng better) I can stretch to 15-20 weeks! ;)

Yeah I was thinking I'm a bit extreme, thats why I made that post, IDK if 5 months post is so smart as I think it is.

Samaria

czyfaith77 said:
Alright! Thank you, thank you, thank you for the words of encouragement! I am currently going for 6 months. What was your regime to eliminate breakage, what were your staple products and styles. Next Saturday, I will be half way there. :)

To keep it soft I used nothing but CON the green and purple bottles.
I used ORS Hair Mayo then once a week.
I also kept the ends up in a bun and always sealed with a moisturizer (ORS Carrot oil or Profective with the yellow top)
I tied my new growth down with a silk scarf and kept castor oil on it.

I didn't have a flatiron cause I was sooo broke at the time, lmao. But I would have flatironed. And I wore a headband if the NG just wanted to cause me drama.

Samaria

LeNghtyDreAms said:
I went 8 months once, but that was when I had my mom press it for me, but she got tired of all the detangling.

Maybe I wanna block it out but it wasn't too bad to detangle for me, honestly. But I did have to detangle it though.

Samaria

MizAvalon said:

I hate to keep replying but man you don't know how many peope kept telling me my hair was going to fall out. people were just waiting for allllllll the hair on my head to just fall off due to their bad experiences with the relaxer and lack of knowledge to take care of it. They had all went natural b/c of the relaxer, I myself had been natural till 17 and decided a change (I'm only 19 now) all I got was dooms day stories and I can't believe my hair is where it's even at now

czyfaith77

Samaria said:
To keep it soft I used nothing but CON the green and purple bottles.
I used ORS Hair Mayo then once a week.
I also kept the ends up in a bun and always sealed with a moisturizer (ORS Carrot oil or Profective with the yellow top)
I tied my new growth down with a silk scarf and kept castor oil on it.

I didn't have a flatiron cause I was sooo broke at the time, lmao. But I would have flatironed. And I wore a headband if the NG just wanted to cause me drama.

Thanks Samaria. I don't recall see CON in a green and puplr bottle. I use the moisturising formula from the BSS. I think that is green and yello or something like that. What does ORS do?

hottopic

I just made it to 12 weeks, thanks to braids. This is the 2nd time I made it to 12 weeks. This time I am not going to stop at 12, my aim is for 17-20. Hopeful I can make it. But, God bless your heart 8 months.

Samaria

hottopic said:
I just made it to 12 weeks, thanks to braids. This is the 2nd time I made it to 12 weeks. This time I am not going to stop at 12, my aim is for 17-20. Hopeful I can make it. But, God bless your heart 8 months.

lmao, that will never happen again long as my finances are right!!