Question for Naturals

~~HoneyComb~~

How many of you have lost that excitement that you had when you first became natural. I've been natural almost 6 years and I remember the first two years being so excited about my hair, almost like being on a honeymoon with it. Well fast-forward 4 years later and I love my hair, but the excitement is just not there anymore, to me it's just hair and I try to find the quickest styles that will last the longest. I guess I'm just comfortable with my hair now :ohwell:, how do you ladies feel?

I'm still in that two year period - and I feel like I'm in a lovers groove - but I might still be in that honeymoon period.... ;)

i seem to more excited these days just cuz i now know how to take care of my hair and it is finally starting to be "nice".

How many of you have lost that excitement that you had when you first became natural. I've been natural almost 6 years and I remember the first two years being so excited about my hair, almost like being on a honeymoon with it. Well fast-forward 4 years later and I love my hair, but the excitement is just not there anymore, to me it's just hair and I try to find the quickest styles that will last the longest. I guess I'm just comfortable with my hair now :ohwell:, how do you ladies feel?
I'm feeling the exact same things. :lol:

I'm pushing 5 years and I'm falling in love with my hair again :love:

This is because I've started taking care of my hair and have finally grasped the concept that my hair love moisture. Who knew?? :rolleyes:

I understand just what you mean. I still really enjoy being natural. But now I'm mostly just used to it. I think this comes from understanding your hair very well. Not a lot left to explore and surprise you sometimes.

I'm not excited anymore, its been quite awhile. The only time I get anywhere near excited is when I manage to pull off a new style..then I'm like whoa

I been natural since 96 and I had never been in love with it. I didn't hate it, either, it was just my hair. Now finding the hair boards, I'm excited about experimenting. Once I get it all out of my system, I'm sure I'll settle back down to my old ways and it will be non-exciting to me again.

I lost that loving feeling after only a year of being natural and relaxed again. I don't necessarily regret it, but I think if I knew what I know now I would have been more successful and less frustrated.

My excitement at being natural is building again. After i did the BC i was IN LOVE with my hair and so excited just to be natural but then when i entered grad school I was too busy to experiment with new styles or new products so i was in a rut. But I find that long as i experiment to keep things excitng and pamper my hair and show that i love it, there is nothing not to love.

Side note and maybe people may not like me for saying it but.....i am new to LHCF but boy can i see the difference between here and NP! You would be crucified over there for a thread like this (a vibe which i am not crazy about at NP) but in the same breath over there i am motivated to stay natural while for some reason when i read threads like this i feel slightly discouraged even when I have no desire to relax, can't imagine how i would feel if it did have that desire. But i am getting hooked on LHCF so it won't stop me from lurking, its been very informative!

today I pulled my hair in one and my puff is growing!!

yep I'm excited :lachen:

but I haven't been natural for a yr yet....July will be 1 yr

today I pulled my hair in one and my puff is growing!!

yep I'm excited :lachen:

but I haven't been natural for a yr yet....July will be 1 yr

congrats i was soo excited when i was able to get my hair into a low puff so i undrstand!

OT: Honesty, I was all over your fotki the other day. I really loved it. :yep: Your fotki really told a beautiful hair story. I will go back to your fotki in the near future because I'm curious to see what products u use on your hair since I think we have similar textures. Keep up the good work. You are an inspiration.:grin:

My excitement at being natural is building again. After i did the BC i was IN LOVE with my hair and so excited just to be natural but then when i entered grad school I was too busy to experiment with new styles or new products so i was in a rut. But I find that long as i experiment to keep things excitng and pamper my hair and show that i love it, there is nothing not to love.

Side note and maybe people may not like me for saying it but.....i am new to LHCF but boy can i see the difference between here and NP! You would be crucified over there for a thread like this (a vibe which i am not crazy about at NP) but in the same breath over there i am motivated to stay natural while for some reason when i read threads like this i feel slightly discouraged even when I have no desire to relax, can't imagine how i would feel if it did have that desire. But i am getting hooked on LHCF so it won't stop me from lurking, its been very informative!

It's been almost 4 years and I think my excitement comes and goes. Most times I just want my hair in a cute style and out of my way (I've mainly had a wash and go, buns and ponytails for almost everyday in these 4 years lol). I think it's a good thing for me though. Before, I was doing all this research to make sure my hair grows as much as possible since I still haven't reached my goal of waistlength when straightened. Now I know as long as eat right, exercise and take good care of my hair it will do what I want. LHFC keeps the excitement for my nowadays. I don't really try too many things, but just the knowledge and looking at others hair is interesting to me.

Last edited:
It seems like you go through phases with your hair. I have been natural for 3 years. I am over it. I love having natural hair. My routine is down pack so I don't need to invest as much time into researching it.

Interesting observation. I hear you.

honeycomb, your hair is too pretty for words!

On topic: Yeah, I'm over the excitement, but I am definitely on a new quest to become the laziest person I can re: hair without sacrificing health. I want to get to the point where I can get several days out of one days styling session and just fluff it out and go on about my business...no extra product, no retouches, just go. Right now, that only works with sets and buns. Multiday wash n gos where I just fluff...I've gotta get there.

I've been natural 7 yrs. and I'm still excited :pulpdance:.

When I was growing up I wasn't excited though. I didn't like my hair or know how to take care of it.

Im still transitioning after almost 3 years and Im bored and thinking hard about relaxing. :ohwell: It was exciting and new at first, now its kinda old...

I've been natural 7 yrs. and I'm still excited :pulpdance:.

When I was growing up I wasn't excited though. I didn't like my hair or know how to take care of it.

this is the way i'd like to be too!

i can see myself taking being a natural head for granted and maybe even becoming a bit blase about it to a point, then there'd that one day when i need to throw it into a quick set of twists or a set of braids on the spot for some reason. i'd know i wouldn't have to worry about finding enough rubberbands to keep them all from unraveling and that's when i'd prolly get all siddy giddy about being natural all over again :lachen:

'xcuse the bad english ;)

Well im natural for 14 years now got a perm when i was 3 my hair still looked like um Natural So my mom just made me be natural i would get presses every 3 weeks but Not Anymore!
I love My Soft Natural hair
But i get bored with it at times :ohwell:

But i still love it:yep:

I'm newly natural again and I've found a new respect for my natural hair. I am hoping to get long natural hair for many of the styles you ladies rock. You have to be 100 % natural in order to truly get the sense of being natural, IMHO.:rolleyes:

O.P Your hair is GORGEOUS!!

I'm going on 4 yrs (nov) and I've lost the initial excitement too. I don't update my fotki as often as I used to either. I don't even see it often since I wear braids most of the time anyway. I'm even considering texlaxing just for something new.

ITA with everyone else. Being natural is just like any other relationship it is exciting at first then it dies down.. you still love it but you are not goo goo ga ga over it. I myself am exited again about taking care of it and growing it long...
LynnieB your hair is BEAUTIFUL

Last edited:
Back