Question for the Naturals

T

Tee

How do you straighten your hair if you want a straight look? Blow drier? Flat iron? Can you also mention your hair type and what straightening method works best for you? I'm considering giving up relaxing and I know that I would want to wear my hair straight every once in a while.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
For me I use my ceramic flat iron. I always use a heat protectant like 911 or WGO. It gives okay results but I'm always looking for improvement.

Jade21

Blow dryer with a heat protectant, usually Infusium 23. I'm 2b. I don't do it very often, but the blow dryer is the only method. I am not all that co-ordinated with tools and I know I would have an accident with a flat iron...scary to me.

~Jade~

P.S. I am glad you had such a positive experience with GPB using on dry hair as you did!

phynestone

You could use a blow drier, flat iron ( would use ceramic b/c it's less damaging) or a hot comb. Just watch that heat. You'll have to find the right oil or conditioner for you and use a good heat protectant-Thermasilk is good.

Peachtree

Very good question Tee. I'm keeping an eye on this thread... maybe i can learn a thing for two

Naturalistic

I haven't straightened my hair at all this year (I've been avoiding heat as much as possible) but when I did, I'd put a moisturizing product on freshly shampooed/conditioned hair, airdry til slightly damp then blowdry while combing thru with a paddle brush. Oh, I'd section my hair into 4 sections & do one at a time. After that, I'd flatiron--I got one with 20-heat settings for about $20 at Walmart. I usually used setting 12-14. I'd comb each section thru with the paddle brush & apply any more oil if needed. I'd wear a bun for a day or two 'til my hair "settled"--otherwise, the humidity would wreck it right away. I did this during the winter only but in Florida, sometimes it can still be kind of humid in winter. I wouldn't even attempt this in the summer. My hair is 3b/c. Hope that helps.

inthepink

I'm transitioning and about a month ago, I had my hair flat ironed and it was as straight as if I had gotten a relaxer and felt even softer. (Forgot to ask the stylist what products she used but I think she used ORS Carrot Oil at some point b/c she suggested I buy some for my ends.) This only reconfirmed my decision to transition. I think heat is ok as long as it's not done very often and the hair is protected.
Good luck...I definitely think it's possible to have straight hair occasionally when natural.

ladymarmalade

I have 4a/b hair, and when its wet it goes straight and when its dry it curls up. So as soon as i wash my hair i begin to do tight twists, when thy're finished i tie my scarf on quite firmly and by the time the morning comes my hair is straight. Not dead straight but straight enough without the use of heat, then i take out the twists and style.

SVT

I think my hair is a mix of Andre's type 3 and 4.

I wash, condition then apply a leave-in mix of conditioner and avocado oil. I air dry in 6 or more pigtails then flat iron each section with a ceramic iron. I use a pressing comb for the edges and roots if necessary. I'm very satisfied with the results I get.

sweetcocoa

When I was natural I'd do a rollerset then wrap with some KMS Flatout and get back under the dryer for 10 minutes or go to bed and unwrap in the morning. If I wanted it really straight then I'd flatiron each section as I unrolled it after it dried. Then use the KMS Flatout again and wrap it till after I showered and got dressed or undo the next morning.

Zgirl

I wear my hair straight a lot
I have two methods.

1. put some WGO to wet hair and air dry, the next morning I use my ceramic flat iron.
2. blow dry and use the ceramic flat iron
it comes out pretty straight and Iam a 4a/b

EbonyEyes

Ladymarmalade,

You have 4A/4B hair and your hair goes straight when wet? Wow! About how many twists do you put in your hair? Do you twist your hair when wet or when dry? Do you have any pics of your hair? I would love to see them!

Regarding the question at hand: I have 4A natural hair. During an experiment, I put a few twists in my hair at night. And in the morning when I took them out, my hair came out wavy, not straight but wavy.

But if I want to get my hair really straight, I just use a blow-dryer on medium-high heat with a comb attachment. The process doesn't take that long.

I'm afraid to use a pressing comb and I haven't tried a flat iron yet.

-Ebony

kasey

My method is similar to LadyM's. When it is wet I will put in some leave-in conditioner and oil, twist and air dry. In the morning I will either untwist and style or brush out the twists. My hair isn't bone straight. But it is straight enough to pull back into a bun. I think that you will eventually come to the realization that it is not necessary for your hair to be absolutely straight every day (unless you like to wear salon-look styles daily.) I think I may be a combination of 3C and 4A.

-kasey

ineedmoney

i blow dry, then press, then i curl my hair with a flat iron( i know kind of backwords) i use luster's pink oil,ultra sheen pressing creme, and ampro curl wax
TO THE MEMBERS WHO USE WGO
do you have to worry about the smell? i heard that smell is somthing HORRIBLE. also do you find that you hair is less dry now that you use that? thanx

canela

MY HAIR IS NATURALLY WAVY UPRONT IN THE MIDDLE IS WHERE IT TENDS TO BE MORE TIGHTLY COILED.
HAIR TYPE IS A 3C/B AND A 4.
I WASH MY HAIR EVERY FIVE DAYS. I WASH IT WITH FANTASIA IC TEA SHAMPOO. CONDITION WITH PROCLAIM CHOLESTROL AND LEAVE IN SOMETIMES WITH PLASTIC CAP OR 15 MINS. DEPENDS ON IF I AM IN A RUSH.
I LET IT AIR DRY REAL WILD. I SPRAY ORS OLIVE OIL SHEEN. I BLOW DRY AND THEN PRESS. I USE TEXTURE AND TONES OR PROCLAIM OIL AND WEAR IN A PONYTAIL OR PIN UP IN A BUN. I LUBRICATE ENDS REALLY WELL.

Lucia

I wash and deep condition, I section my hair into 4 parts. I use extra strength frizz ease serum (very little) then I blow dry smaller sections with a revo styler or a paddle brush on medium heat. That gets it mostly straight not dead straight if I want that then I flat iron w/ cermaic iron that has setting control. Actually if I do the blow dry right there really isn't that much need for the iron. I only iron my hair 2x a year max.
hth

Zgirl

ineedmoney
I dont worry about the smell of the WGO especially on wet hair, once it is dry you cannot smell it
sometimes after it has dried I use a very small amount of mango butter and rub in my hair, really just for smell, I love the smell of it and it hides the smell of wgo, I think I got used to the wgo and my hair is always so moisturized, its the best thing I have found

Karonica

[ QUOTE ]
I have 4a/b hair, and when its wet it goes straight and when its dry it curls up. So as soon as i wash my hair i begin to do tight twists, when thy're finished i tie my scarf on quite firmly and by the time the morning comes my hair is straight. Not dead straight but straight enough without the use of heat, then i take out the twists and style.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do that with 4a/b hair? WOW!
I may have to try and see if this can work for me (but I'm doubting it).

diamondbezel

Does anybody use a rollerset to straighten? I'm going to try one next week with Dryfast Let's Get it Straight. I've seen it work pretty well.

caress

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds more like type 3 hair of some kind to me. I wish I could do that with my hair.

Well as of 10:30 am today I'm no longer natural but for over 2 years I had been wearing my 4a hair straightened (for the most part). I would blowdry it with a comb attachment and use a flatiron to further straighten it. I own a Jilbere Ceramic flatiron and I'd take small sections at a time. My favorite heat protectants are Redken So Long Heat Treat and L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Heat Protection Leave-in Creme. I also used Dudley's Creme Press or Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Pres from time to time. My hair would be so soft.

amy1234

just wanted to add..I've been using alma oil and applying it before I blow dry..then I'll blowdry my hair in small sections (I think this is key) from root to tip with a comb attachment. Then I'll flat iron the hair in smaller sections with a ceramic iron. But the alma oil added a soft sheen and I think made my hair more manageable/easy to comb once straight.
(btw my hair texture is 4a)