Question: I am new and need help

tiffjust2002

Hello thanks for reading :)

Question: How often should I moisturize my 3b hair? I use a moisturizing spray and then seal with an oil but I don't know how often I should be doing this, I don't want my hair to feel greasy, oily, or weighed down. Also I have to wash and/or co-wash every 3-4 days.

Thanks for your help!

Evolving78

it depends on your hairstyles and how well your hair retains moisture. but i would suggest daily with your spray. i am 4a, but i don't seal with oil everyday. but i don't mind the greasy/heavy feel either. i use Oyin Handmade Juices and Berries throughout the day and moisturize at night.

Nonie

@tiffjust2002, you just moisturize whenever your hair needs it. If it feels moisturized, then no need to drench it, unless you like the juice dripping look. Too much moisture is wasteful, IMO because it will just sit on top of your hair looking ugly or drip off your hair or rub onto stuff so you're leaving a calling card wherever you go.

Washing every 3-4 days is what I do myself. But everyone just does what works for them. I love the feeling I get when I wash my hair but I also started to do this because I learned that water was moisture and so would wash my hair whenever it felt dry. Sometimes you may just shampoo your hair because it isn't acting right and products are not giving the normal results, and the reason for that is product buildup can make it hard to moisturize your hair and so products just seem to sit on it and not do what you normally expect from them.

Leesh

The key is to listen to your hair! Do exactly what it tells you to. If its not sayin' nothin', leave it be. Keep it as simple as possible, the less you mess with anything the less probable it would be to harm it! (This is just my theory!)

By the way, Welcome to the board, there's a wealth of information here to help you along your journey! Good Luck to you! :rolleyes:

tiffjust2002

Thanks ladies! I feel much better now :) Nonie no I don't like the wet dripping look lol I actually hate that on my hair, I like dry curls not wet jeri curl looking ones

Question: So if I feel like my hair is moisturized enough that I don't need anymore from my product could I just add water to it alone? Or do I need to follow that up with something?

Nonie

Thanks ladies! I feel much better now :) @Nonie no I don't like the wet dripping look lol I actually hate that on my hair, I like dry curls not wet jeri curl looking ones

Question: So if I feel like my hair is moisturized enough that I don't need anymore from my product could I just add water to it alone? Or do I need to follow that up with something?

tiffjust2002 Why do you feel you need to add anything? Is it because it's easier to style your hair when it is somewhat wet?

I don't know what moisturizer you use or how you wear your hair, but I use S Curl and I sleep in a plastic cap. The cap keeps my hair from losing moisture and my hair feels damp when I take the cap off. It is easy to style using that moisture and once I style my hair, I end up with nice, moist but not wet jheri curl looking hair.

If your style is something like WNG or shake and go...and you need moisture to wet your hair, perhaps you could make a type of spritz using a bit of your moisturizer and water. The problem with using just water alone is when it evaporates, it may leave your hair feeling dry. Still you could try it and perhaps it won't be so bad.

I go for months on end w/o applying anything to my hair and so I doubt it'd really hurt your hair if after moisturizing you just spritzed with water. But try it and see. If your hair doesn't seem to mind just plain water, then why not.

Ijanei

Welcome Newbie
You received great advice so far from the ladies. At first, I got the same response "Just listen to your hair" and I always was like "wth...??" But now I see, your hair will let you know when it is deprived of "something" the hard part for me was finding what exactly it was. Now I just let it be, keep it moisturized and pin it up somehow. If my hair feels itchy or too dry/brittle/or looks dull then I know i need to add moisture

Good luck on your journey!

tiffjust2002

@tiffjust2002 Why do you feel you need to add anything? Is it because it's easier to style your hair when it is somewhat wet?

I don't know what moisturizer you use or how you wear your hair, but I use S Curl and I sleep in a plastic cap. The cap keeps my hair from losing moisture and my hair feels damp when I take the cap off. It is easy to style using that moisture and once I style my hair, I end up with nice, moist but not wet jheri curl looking hair.

If your style is something like WNG or shake and go...and you need moisture to wet your hair, perhaps you could make a type of spritz using a bit of your moisturizer and water. The problem with using just water alone is when it evaporates, it may leave your hair feeling dry. Still you could try it and perhaps it won't be so bad.

I go for months on end w/o applying anything to my hair and so I doubt it'd really hurt your hair if after moisturizing you just spritzed with water. But try it and see. If your hair doesn't seem to mind just plain water, then why not.

That second question was actually pertaining to my daughter's 3c hair her ends seem to dry out quickly and so I was wondering if I added moisturizing spray and oil one day and they feel little tad bit dry the next day could I just add a little more water to them without reapplying the moisturizing spray and oil again.

I use Komaza Califia Moisturizing Spray I LOVE that stuff and the I seal with Darcy's Botanical Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Conditioning Oil

I wear my hair in ponytails, tuck and rolls, twist outs or wash n go's each style will last about 2-3 days each. I usually sleep with my satin bonnet, but not every night :( I am guilty