Questions about natural twists.

Mook's hair

Ladies, help me out.

When you wear twists, what is your cowashing routine?

I did my 2 strand twists in August.
I want to wear them til the end of September.

I tried daily cowashing but my ends unravel (a lot) and poof.
Does this happen to you?

I was able to avoid the issue by securing the ends tightly with some small scrunchies in about 3 sections.

Also, it seems like the more it grows the smaller it shrinks.
Is that how it is for ya'll?

Do twists train the hair? Or is it the moisture that seems to be effecting my texture?

Nonie

Ladies, help me out.

I did my 2 strand twists in August.
I want to wear them til the end of September.

I tried daily cowashing but my ends unravel (a lot) and poof.
Does this happen to you?

My ends do occasionally unravel, but usually it's just a few that do. Usually washing helps set my twists because the shrinkage causes the ends to turn into spirals. Sometimes pressing the ends and rolling them between fingers helps with the poofing by making the springs/spirals lock. Another way I deal with the puffing depending if it is really bad, is redo the ends and then immediately wet them and allow them to drip dry; a little press and roll between fingers helps form one unit instead of "two legs". Wetting them and pressing together makes them create a single spiral and then with shrinkage the twists' ends set.

I was able to avoid the issue by securing the ends tightly with some small scrunchies in about 3 sections.

Also, it seems like the more it grows the smaller it shrinks.
Is that how it is for ya'll?

I haven't noticed this, but then with my slow growth, I probably wouldn't notice for a few years. :lol:

I just smooth conditioner on a few twists at a time and squeeze them to allow the conditioner to penetrate the strands then I move on to another set. I skip the inch closest to my scalp. Once all are covered with conditioner, I put on a plastic cap and finish my shower then rinse using the squeezing motion. Some end up like this but most puff up in the ends and squeezing them together helps them look tidier. Maybe not LOL but somehow this doesn't bother me.

Do twists train the hair? Or is it the moisture that seems to be effecting my texture?

I don't really think they train hair. I think they are less manipulating than braiding. If you can think of a several pen springs, if you just wrapped them around each other, chances are they would still be springs when you took them apart, especially if creating a twist that is formed of sections as wide as the springs. Now try braiding the springs and see how deformed they will be.

Mook's hair

Nonie, Thanks so much for your input. makes a lot of sense.
Yes, I already do the move where I twist the ends to combine them.
But I get lots of unraveling unless I tie down the ends. That works.