natural hair at night

KinkyCurly

I think my nightly routine damages my natural hair. Let me explain, I usually wear twists for a few weeks at a time, so there is little daily manipulation. When I took my twists out this time, I decided to blow dry my hair to see the length. I notice how easy it is to deal with my ends with my hair blow dried. When I wear it natural I get a lot of tangles when I put my hair in 12 large twists as night (which is what I usually do when my hair is out). I plan to protect my ends during the day with a phony pony, but what should I do at night? How do I protect my ends when i wear my hair out without straightening my hair? I hope you ladies can help me.

skegeesmb

I use a scarf at night. If I don't do that, I sleep with a satin pillow case. Even when I do something like twists, I use a scarf (satin). What I do is do the twists, have them going back, and then tie my hair with the scarf. Then in the morning when I take a shower, the steam makes my hair puffy which was flattened due to wearing the scarf.

It works out pretty well.

AFashionSlave

I wear a satin bonnet. The satin bonet I have ties on top. It doesn't squash my fro too much.

Try a silk or satin pillow case.

KinkyCurly

I should have been more clear. I also use a scarf at night. I am wondering what i should do when I am prepring my hair for bed. It seems the nightly twists on my hair are damaging t my ends. What suggestions for "stlying" the hair at night do you ladies have?

AFashionSlave

I don't do much at night.

My basic every day hair style is a twist-out. I wash, condition & my twist-out my fro once or twice a week.

I apply a tiny bit of moisturizer to my ends every night and cover it with a satin bonnet.

If my hair gets dry I spritz it with a little water before I head out the door for work.

I wish I could help you out more. My hair doesn't require a lot of daily maintenance.

TinyT

I spritz my twists with a mixture of conditioner, oil, and a liquid conditioner, then I put it in a satin scarf. In the mornings when I take a shower, I let the water run over my twists, and the spring back to life.

tracy

Nonie

Kinky, if my hair was out, I don't know what style I'd wear during the day, but I do know (coz I recently tried it) that when I twist my hair, it takes a lot more effort on my part to undo the twists in order not to break the hair. So if I were wearing my hair out in the day - like I used to when I had a TWA - I would put my hair in square braids, braiding all the way to the end, then wear a plastic cap and go to bed. If the end of the braid was too pointed for my fingers to undo, I may start that off using the end tooth of a pick (comb) then use my fingers for the rest. My square braids wouldn't be too small (time consuming and hard to undo with fingers) nor would they be too big (don't want any hair being left or sliding out). This method has never given me tangles. (It's no wonder I'm so in love with braids.) I think it works for me because unlike twists where your hair has to be untwisted then separated to undo, braids just call for separating since the hair is held straight. (Don't know if that makes sense.) I think twists look great. And when I get them, it'll be a style to be worn for several days, not just for a night. Of course, I'd feel differently if my hair were relaxed and coz my hair would behave differently.

SouthernCoils

I part my hair in four sections and braid it at night. I cover the braids with a satin bonnet for sleeping. In the morning, I unbraid and my hair is soft and full ... voila, a big beautiful afro!

KinkyCurly

You ladies have been very helpful.

Afashion slave: do you re-twist each night? Or do you sleep with you twist out?

Nonie: I am going to try the braids at night. I think it might be less stressful on the hair. I love the twists, but I need to take a break for the sake of my ends. Why do you suggest sleeping with the plastic cap? Do you also use a silk scarf?

SouthernCoils: I think braids at night are the answer. I LOVE the twist out look, and the braid out has never looked good on my hair. But since I am going to wear more protective styles, the braid out will be the way to go for me.

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No I do not re-twist every night. My twist-outs last 5-7 days. On average I shampoo & condition once or twice a week. I ony retwist after I shampoo & condition.

My daily maintenence is as follows (I spend 5 minutes a day on hair):
- I apply a tiny amount of moisurizer to my ends every day.
- I cover at night with my satin bonnet.

Weekly maintenence is as follows:( I spend 1-3 hours a week re-twisting my hair)
-Shampoo & Condition & Twist. I sleep on my wet twists and take them out in the morning when they are dry.

Nonie

Kinky, I am a plastic cap/Saran wrap junkie because my hair gets a moisture infusion when I sleep with a cap and the results have been wonderful. My hair feels and looks super-moisturized (soft, shiny) without being greasy or sticky. Also, I find I don't need to add a moisturizer to my hair every day since none is lost to a scarf or bonnet. And no, I don't use a silk scarf any more now that plastic caps/S wraps are my nightly ritual.

qtpi

Hi!
A Fashion Slave: how do your twist-outs last that long? What's your secret? Mine only last 1day, 2 if I'm lucky! what am I doing wrong? usually in the morning, they don't look that great, then sometimes after my shower, I'll try to fix them up a bit without touching too much, but it's not like the 1st day. Looks kind of limp or something after the 1st day is over. Also, do you do seperate twists like big box braids or do you do twist rolls like cornrolls? I usually do braidouts, hardly ever twistouts, but the style just doesn't hold up for some reason! Help please!

KinkyCurly

Thank you for the information. I actually did the plasic baggie thing yesterday and today and my ends already feel better. I also slept with 4 large braids with lots of cocount oil on the ends. So far so good.

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
Hi!
A Fashion Slave: how do your twist-outs last that long? What's your secret? Mine only last 1day, 2 if I'm lucky! what am I doing wrong? usually in the morning, they don't look that great, then sometimes after my shower, I'll try to fix them up a bit without touching too much, but it's not like the 1st day. Looks kind of limp or something after the 1st day is over. Also, do you do seperate twists like big box braids or do you do twist rolls like cornrolls? I usually do braidouts, hardly ever twistouts, but the style just doesn't hold up for some reason! Help please!

[/ QUOTE ]

I create my twist-outs by using a mixture of Carols Daughter Healthy Hair Butter and Paul Mitchell Super Sculpt. After I shampoo and condition I use my clips, water bottle, and my Denman D4 brush, and tiny perm rods to create my twist outs.

-First I section off a part and I saturate it with warm water. I then apply some HHB & a liberal amount of Paul Mitchell Super Sculpt.

-Second I use my D4 brush to detangle my hair. I then twist my hair while pulling it taught while twisting. One of the tricks to getting a long lasting twist-out is to twist firmly.

-Third I use a tiny perm rod on my ends. I used to be able to twist my wet hair with out perm rods, but my hair is so soft and in such good condition that my twists untwist themselves if I do not secure the ends.

-After all of my twists are done and secured with perm rods. I re-saturate my hair with my spray bottle. and I sit under the dryer for 30 minutes. The wetter the better before you get under the dryer. After sitting under the dryer a half an hour my hair is not even close to being dry, but the dryer helps to set my twists. I then sleep on my twists. The next morning they are dry and ready to remove. Before I seperate my twists my twists are a little hard from the product. But after I start to manipulate them they become soft & touchable.

I remove the rollers, apply a tiny amount of moisturizer ends & seperate my twists.
My twist-outs are a firm set but very soft to touch.

Now that I am out of Super Sculpt, next time I am going to try using Giovanni's hair gel to create my twist-outs.

To maintain my twist-outs: I apply a tiny drop of moisturizer to my ends every day. My favorite is ORS Olive Oil. It is a little oily but I only use a tiny amount every day to keep my ends moist. I am currently looking for a natural hair moisturizer to use instead. I also cover my head at night with a satin bonnet and finger style my hair in the morning. I spend about an hour to 2 hours twisting my hair every week.

I wet set my hair because I do not have the time during the week to mess with it. Because I use styling products to create my twist-outs I have to shampoo & condition. No-poo is out of the question for me when I use gel.

There are pictures of my twist-outs in my album, but those two pictures are all after I have picked out my twist-out with a metal pick.

One of these days I will put a picture of a fresh twist-out in my album.

angellazette

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi!

[/ QUOTE ]

I create my twist-outs by using a mixture of Carols Daughter Healthy Hair Butter and Paul Mitchell Super Sculpt. After I shampoo and condition I use my clips, water bottle, and my Denman D4 brush, and tiny perm rods to create my twist outs.

-First I section off a part and I saturate it with warm water. I then apply some HHB & a liberal amount of Paul Mitchell Super Sculpt.

-Second I use my D4 brush to detangle my hair. I then twist my hair while pulling it taught while twisting. One of the tricks to getting a long lasting twist-out is to twist firmly.

-Third I use a tiny perm rod on my ends. I used to be able to twist my wet hair with out perm rods, but my hair is so soft and in such good condition that my twists untwist themselves if I do not secure the ends.

-After all of my twists are done and secured with perm rods. I re-saturate my hair with my spray bottle. and I sit under the dryer for 30 minutes. The wetter the better before you get under the dryer. After sitting under the dryer a half an hour my hair is not even close to being dry, but the dryer helps to set my twists. I then sleep on my twists. The next morning they are dry and ready to remove. Before I seperate my twists my twists are a little hard from the product. But after I start to manipulate them they become soft & touchable.

I remove the rollers, apply a tiny amount of moisturizer ends & seperate my twists.
My twist-outs are a firm set but very soft to touch.

Now that I am out of Super Sculpt, next time I am going to try using Giovanni's hair gel to create my twist-outs.

To maintain my twist-outs: I apply a tiny drop of moisturizer to my ends every day. My favorite is ORS Olive Oil. It is a little oily but I only use a tiny amount every day to keep my ends moist. I am currently looking for a natural hair moisturizer to use instead. I also cover my head at night with a satin bonnet and finger style my hair in the morning. I spend about an hour to 2 hours twisting my hair every week.

I wet set my hair because I do not have the time during the week to mess with it. Because I use styling products to create my twist-outs I have to shampoo & condition. No-poo is out of the question for me when I use gel.

There are pictures of my twist-outs in my album, but those two pictures are all after I have picked out my twist-out with a metal pick.

One of these days I will put a picture of a fresh twist-out in my album.

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on doing the same as you with the twist and rods (except i'm going to do the whole twist instead of just the ends) Anyway, I thought that I would have to retwist/rod every single night to keep it from being flat. Since you don't, is it because of damage or just that you don't need to. I wonder if doing it nightly will cause damage (same question as the topic)...I would think that being gentle, misting the hair,keeping the ends moisturized while doing it would minimize the damage of nightly twisting.

Do you mist with water daily or just here and there?

angellazette

[ QUOTE ]
You ladies have been very helpful.

Nonie: I am going to try the braids at night. I think it might be less stressful on the hair. I love the twists, but I need to take a break for the sake of my ends. Why do you suggest sleeping with the plastic cap? Do you also use a silk scarf?

SouthernCoils: I think braids at night are the answer. I LOVE the twist out look, and the braid out has never looked good on my hair. But since I am going to wear more protective styles, the braid out will be the way to go for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't twisting and braiding be the same though? I'm talking about two strand twists.

AFashionSlave

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on doing the same as you with the twist and rods (except i'm going to do the whole twist instead of just the ends) Anyway, I thought that I would have to retwist/rod every single night to keep it from being flat. Since you don't, is it because of damage or just that you don't need to. I wonder if doing it nightly will cause damage (same question as the topic)...I would think that being gentle, misting the hair,keeping the ends moisturized while doing it would minimize the damage of nightly twisting.

Do you mist with water daily or just here and there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I lightly mist my hair with water every now and then when it gets a little dry. I will also use a tiny amount of ORS Olive Oil Cream on my hair. It's a little greasy but I only use a tiny amount. It helps my hair keep in the moisture from the water. ORS Olive Oil does contain petroleum or mineral oil (I can't remember which one right now) I will look on the container when I get home from work.

I do not re-twist my hair every night. I only re-twist once or twice a week when I wash and condition. I know that washing once a week seems a little old-fashioned but it works well for me. I don't like to mess with my hair during my workweek. I'm too busy to fool around with my hair every day.

My twist-out does start to look a little frizzy around day 5, but I like a little frizz.

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
AFashionSlave: Thanks! but I may twist every night so it won't be flat in the morning

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to do what works for you. Everyone's hair is different. For some reason my twist-outs don't go flat. I just finger fluff them in the morning.

TinkaBella

I tried the shower cap method last night and my hair came out softer than it usually is and it shrunk a lot, but i dont mind the shrinkage. This seems like the only method that can help me hold moisture in my hair

Last edited: