Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Evolving78

@shortdub78 Do either of you have any info on how to maintain the protein/moisture balance? I just discovered after 3 years that my hair has been suffering from protein overload, which finally explained why it was breaking off so badly and why every time I raked my hand through my hair while wet, it would come out in globs.

I corrected it by doing the Chicoro prepoo method and steaming with a protein free conditioner. But now I'm not sure how to know when I need protein and how often to do so. I know that moisture overload can lead to gummy hair that comes out when it is touched as well. I've suffered from both protein and moisture overload and don't know how to keep it balanced.
The best thing is to either use a line that promotes both, or rotate between the two. Just make sure you read the ingredient list. You have to watch your styling products as well. schedule a light protein at least 2-4 weeks and a moderate protein 4-6 week. In corporate moisture throughout that time.

Don't go to bed with wet hair
Don't deep condition for longer that 15-30 mins. Anything else is overkill and your hair can only absorb so much moisture.
Make sure you are properly cleansing your hair to receive moisture, or protein.
Only so protein treatments on shampooed hair.
Don't over Moisturize your hair.
Refrain from product buildup.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I need to find a pomade to replace Carol's daughter liquid pomade. It's nice but I'd prefer a jar. Until then I'll work on my Honey's Handmade peaches n honey pomade. I think I have about 1/4 of a tin plus a full one in the fridge for back up. Let me go browse Etsy :shopping:

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
If I wasn't wigging it I'd have a close cut right now.

I rinsed and deep conditioned my cornrows. I took the ends a loose as well which made it harder. The reason I took them loose in the first place is because the plaits had become really tight. They kinda looked like locs. I immediately went into panic mode and took the ends of my cornrows a loose! Thank God there was zero matting and the hair was fine. Matting is the last thing I need right now.

Even deep conditioning in cornrows with the ends loosened tired me out. I mean mentally tired me out. I definitely got burned out from doing my hair the last couple years. This definitely confirms that I'll be wigging until the end of the year and possibly longer.

I'm just riding this wave because I know when this phase is over I'll be into my hair again. If I cut it now I'll definitely regret it.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@shortdub78 Do either of you have any info on how to maintain the protein/moisture balance? I just discovered after 3 years that my hair has been suffering from protein overload, which finally explained why it was breaking off so badly and why every time I raked my hand through my hair while wet, it would come out in globs.

I corrected it by doing the Chicoro prepoo method and steaming with a protein free conditioner. But now I'm not sure how to know when I need protein and how often to do so. I know that moisture overload can lead to gummy hair that comes out when it is touched as well. I've suffered from both protein and moisture overload and don't know how to keep it balanced.

I know you didnt ask me, but throwing my two cents in: it would take a long time to reach moisture overload levels. I wouldn't worry about it so much as I would be worried about protein overload.

Use protein free DCs for a while and once your hair gets to a good place, depending on what you are using, 2-6 weeks is good. With a hard protein, I found it to be more cost effective because I'd use it every 6-8 weeks and never had an issue. If you want to be really safe, just a medium treatment every 4 weeks.

Right now, probably just stick with moisture treatments until your hair stops breaking as much, then begin incorporating your treatments.

Last, work with your porosity, as it can also determine frequency of protein use.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I was going to do a DIY fenugreek DC first, but NappyHeadedJojoba has me CONVINCED to try this asap, even though I have a couple of bottles of Soultanicals Hair Glide.

DIY Product: NappyHeadedJojoba's Prepoo & Detangler

Ingredients:
  • 3 ounces coconut oil
  • 3 ounces conditioner (WITH SLIP!)
  • 1 ounce coconut water vinegar
  • 1 ounce 100% coconut cream
  • essential oils of your choice

YvetteWithJoy

On break

If you can, view the protein-moisture balance video linked above. It is incredibly high quality and super helpful/informative. It will help make light of the advice you've been given from various posters. It discuss discusses the role of porosity and offers a flexible schedule that you can tweak as you access assess your hair's needs. It discusses how you know WHEN you need protein versus moisture . . . versus a balancing product, if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Which one do you have? I have the LCL one and that drips water too after about 20 minutes. Also one of the wheels on the stand was missing a screw when I got it, so it kinda leans to the side a bit.

Which model do you have? Ive owned both models they carry and only the cheaper one dripped on me. I sent it back then upgraded.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I need to find a pomade to replace Carol's daughter liquid pomade. It's nice but I'd prefer a jar. Until then I'll work on my Honey's Handmade peaches n honey pomade. I think I have about 1/4 of a tin plus a full one in the fridge for back up. Let me go browse Etsy :shopping:

In case you could be interested: I just ordered/received the Hairobics pomade. It's in a jar and has only a slightly detectable smell. It was discounted and might still be. I will start trialing it in September. The ingredients are on the website.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
One of the ladies from the natural hair meetup says the only DC she uses in the Camille Rose Naturals algae one. After watching CurlyProverbz review of it below (getting all into the effect/potency of ALGAE), I'm tempted. I just can't stand the SCENT, though. I wonder if I added some of my peaches and cream oil to it if I could handle the scent. I guess I could purchase it from Target, scoop out a bit, add a drop to the scooped out amount, smell it, and then return the unscented portion to Target if the project fails.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Use protein free DCs for a while and once your hair gets to a good place, depending on what you are using, 2-6 weeks is good. With a hard protein, I found it to be more cost effective because I'd use it every 6-8 weeks and never had an issue. If you want to be really safe, just a medium treatment every 4 weeks.

Right now, probably just stick with moisture treatments until your hair stops breaking as much, then begin incorporating your treatments.

Last, work with your porosity, as it can also determine frequency of protein use.

I do this. Protein free products and weekly regimen, with a medium protein treatment once a month.

Evolving78

Thanks! You just made me buy this.... :D
You will like it! I didn't buy the oil/serum, or the cowash? But I got Everything else. The mask was hydrating and made my hair soft. The conditioner is Moisturizing and gives my daughter slip. I didn't use the conditioner afterwards, since I didn't need it. I shampoo my hair 2-3 times during a wash session, and my hair didn't feel stripped. You may not need to shampoo your hair that much, but I do that for myself every wash day.

trueheartofgold

One of the ladies from the natural hair meetup says the only DC she uses in the Camille Rose Naturals algae one. After watching CurlyProverbz review of it below (getting all into the effect/potency of ALGAE), I'm tempted. I just can't stand the SCENT, though. I wonder if I added some of my peaches and cream oil to it if I could handle the scent. I guess I could purchase it from Target, scoop out a bit, add a drop to the scooped out amount, smell it, and then return the unscented portion to Target if the project fails.

I smelled it recently. It's a lot lighter (almost barely noticeable) than when I used it two years ago. The consistency also changed.

beingofserenity

You will like it! I didn't buy the oil/serum, or the cowash? But I got Everything else. The mask was hydrating and made my hair soft. The conditioner is Moisturizing and gives my daughter slip. I didn't use the conditioner afterwards, since I didn't need it. I shampoo my hair 2-3 times during a wash session, and my hair didn't feel stripped. You may not need to shampoo your hair that much, but I do that for myself every wash day.

Wow! Can't wait to try it. I like to shampoo every twoish days. But I need one that's even more gentle than what I currently use (nexxus). Sounds like this could be it.

KinkyRN

What did they say?
All this time I thought I was lo po but I am normal and high porosity, 3c-4a type, fine, high density. I have been on the low po train hard(avoiding protein, DCing with heat etc). All along I was making my hair worse. It explains a lot. Like how my hair would look and feel better after my rate protein treatments and why it grows better in protective styles. So now I am back at square one. On YouTube finding hi po information and re-reexamining products and methods. Fortunately I braided my hair about a week ago so I will keep using my excel 21 and s curl spray.

trueheartofgold

Thanks! Phew! I wish folks would not heavily scent their products. :(

What is your review of the CRN algae DC?

I'm not even going to attempt to give a review because at that time I had heat damage. Lol...

I was tempted to try it recently so that's why I know the smell is now mild and the consistency is kind of like a loose hair butter now (creamy). Before it was thick and more solid.

If you try it, please let me know what you think (I live for those amazing reviews).

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm not even going to attempt to give a review because at that time I had heat damage. Lol...

I was tempted to try it recently so that's why I know the smell is now mild and the consistency is kind of like a loose hair butter now (creamy). Before it was thick and more solid.

If you try it, please let me know what you think (I live for those amazing reviews).

Will do. :up:

I recently discovered that my hair responds to products very specifically as detoxed hair, and that matters. I use natural products like 90% of the time or products that are 90+ % natural, and that affects how my hair utilizes and responds to products. I had NO idea!