Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

LadyRaider

My hair hates shea butter too.

#humble brag

At my family reunion last week, my "new body" didn't impress anyone at all. Sigh... I need to keep working.

However, my hair was a SPLASH! Yay, LHCF!

I rocked a wash and go when I wanted to show off. One day I got on the elevator with my "beauty queen cousin." She's the one that always had long hair and now I'm not sure what's going on with it now. It looks kinda weird... heavily gelled or something...not sure.

But anyway a lady with natural hair got on the elevator with us, and she told ME: "I love your hair."

I said, "Thank you."
My beauty queen cousin just out of habit, said, "Thank you."

Hah. That awkward moment when your beauty queen cousin realizes SHE'S not the one getting the compliment... the "smart" cousin is.

Yay, LHCF.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
LOVE THIS POST!!!!!

Congrats on the hair, but especially on the "new body."
My hair hates shea butter too.

#humble brag

At my family reunion last week, my "new body" didn't impress anyone at all. Sigh... I need to keep working.

However, my hair was a SPLASH! Yay, LHCF!

I rocked a wash and go when I wanted to show off. One day I got on the elevator with my "beauty queen cousin." She's the one that always had long hair and now I'm not sure what's going on with it now. It looks kinda weird... heavily gelled or something...not sure.

But anyway a lady with natural hair got on the elevator with us, and she told ME: "I love your hair."

I said, "Thank you."
My beauty queen cousin just out of habit, said, "Thank you."

Hah. That awkward moment when your beauty queen cousin realizes SHE'S not the one getting the compliment... the "smart" cousin is.

Yay, LHCF.

naija24

think i may invest in a upart wig!! It will be fun to try out when I am craving longer hair when I go out with friends.

JaneBond007

My hair is a little too light, want a deeper caramel color...

Went to lick my upper lip from that egg nog and felt WHISKERS all over my top lip. I know I get hairier in winter, but DAMN! I have got to make my sugaring taffy and rip those suckers right off.

spacetygrss

My Soultanicals order finally made it to me last night. I used some of the Knot Butta to moisturize my twists and that stuff is the business! It added a nice amount of weight and moisture to them. I'm MAD because I don't WANT to like their stuff after the long wait, lack of communication and kidnapping [of products] by the USPS! Sigh.

That said, I think that it's essentially the same thing as my Oyin Hair Dew so I might not miss it when it's gone.

krissyhair

Had a fabulous hair day and no place to show it off. I'm talking fluffy, curly, shiny, untangled, voluminous, lengthy realness.

All I did was cowash, finger comb, moisturize, air dry and add a moisturizing styling cream after dry.

oneastrocurlie

My twist out has been so moisturized I don't even need to use the LCO but I don't like the way it looks. Now why do I have to moisturize my wash and go twice a day but my twist out barely needs anything.

spacetygrss

Natural hair products are re-taking over my bathroom. I've received two big orders of Oyin Handmade, an order from Soultanicals and I have orders from Blue Roze and APB on the way. LOL.

I WILL say that my hair has felt fabulous lately. I have no idea why I strayed away from a routine featuring mostly natural products in the past. I can only think that it was because it's easier for me to purchase store-bought products than handmade items because otherwise, it makes no sense.

WYSIWYG

Note to self: Don't try to set hair after drinking chocolate martinis. I'm afraid this poor hairdo is gonna lean all the way to the right. :lol:

soulglo

my hair is sometimes called coarse
i'm not sure how to cure it or whatever
my hair seems to like protein treatments
it ends up snapping with too much moisture
it kind of saddens me at time because i can never find a person that know what they are doing
but i've come to love my hair more
i want to take a break from braids
and also color my hair
i do have a friend that is very caring and gentle to my hair
but at the same time the way my funds are set up i don't have time to spend a lot of $ on my hair
siggggh

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
soulglo I'm with you on the funny funds. I need a trim so baaad, my poor hair is crying. However, I am not good with cutting enough to do it myself. I'm going to lose a lot of length but health before length. As for the protein preference, do you think it's a porosity issue?

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Ugh I'm so mad at myself. I accidentally deleted the note on my phone where I was keeping track of my product stash. I really need to make another list before the year ends.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
The shampoo girl told me not to use Nexxus Emergencee, because it makes my hair too tangled. Poor thang doesn't realize my hair is 4b and will never look or behave like her 3a hair. I'm going to use a lighter protein to see if that helps HER detangle my hair. I actually love how easy my hair is after an Emergencee treatment.

Her first mistake was using heat, second mistake she left it on too long. Lastly she poured shampoo on my rock hard hair and tried to agitate it. I quickly told her to stop. Then she got snappy and said "I do this everyday". I was soooo irritated. Some stylists think they know everything.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
The shampoo girl told me not to use Nexxus Emergencee, because it makes my hair too tangled. Poor thang doesn't realize my hair is 4b and will never look or behave like her 3a hair. I'm going to use a lighter protein to see if that helps HER detangle my hair. I actually love how easy my hair is after an Emergencee treatment.

Her first mistake was using heat, second mistake she left it on too long. Lastly she poured shampoo on my rock hard hair and tried to agitate it. I quickly told her to stop. Then she got snappy and said "I do this everyday". I was soooo irritated. Some stylists think they know everything.

Just hearing that account makes my skin crawl...

locabouthair

Temple is getting thinner and I haven't worn any braids or tight hairstyles. I have a twa and the woman that cuts my hair shaves part of it of but that couldn't cause it. She does the same thing to the other temple and that one is fine. Really weird. I never believed in growth aids but I'm using castor oil to see if it makes a difference.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
Good news and bad news: The Bad news is that since I relaxed straighter, I don't know what my hair likes. All of my natural hair products makes it feel crunchy and greasy. The good news is that I don't need a comb, brush, blow-dryer or flat iron to detangle or style my hair. I can do my hair in 5 minutes and spray it with aloe vera juice/filtered water and let it be free or put in a couple of braids.

Britt

My same routine with the same products for my twist outs give me no fail twist outs. At times I would like a big stretched fluffy twist out but I haven't mastered that as yet. I sometimes want a twist out like MsVaughntv. I think she blow dries her hair though. The few times I have a big fluffy twist out I like, it's somewhat unintentional and difficult to duplicate exactly when I try again... hmmm. I do know the key is having it done on stretched dry hair, so I usually have a 'bigger' stretched twist out towards the end of the week, but the product usage is what leaves me stumped. If I use too much grease my stretched twist out is flat and greasy.

On a lighter note, I'm always flattered and it warms my heart when strangers ask what I use in my hair. Yesterday I went to a new nail salon in Harlem and literally as soon as I stepped in, the young black owner asked me what products I use. Then on my way home on the train, a girl sits beside me and asked me what I use in my hair.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
The shampoo girl told me not to use Nexxus Emergencee, because it makes my hair too tangled. Poor thang doesn't realize my hair is 4b and will never look or behave like her 3a hair. I'm going to use a lighter protein to see if that helps HER detangle my hair. I actually love how easy my hair is after an Emergencee treatment. Her first mistake was using heat, second mistake she left it on too long. Lastly she poured shampoo on my rock hard hair and tried to agitate it. I quickly told her to stop. Then she got snappy and said "I do this everyday". I was soooo irritated. Some stylists think they know everything.

Wow. I'm irked for you just reading this. I just started using the Nexxus Emergency and I love it, it doesn't tangle my hair. I've only followed up with a moisturizing DC after, I didn't use shampoo. Girl if you are spending money for a service, there 's an expectation that folks should know what they're doing. She was wrong though to be trying to detangle with a shampoo after that smh.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
My same routine with the same products for my twist outs give me no fail twist outs. At times I would like a big stretched fluffy twist out but I haven't mastered that as yet. I sometimes want a twist out like MsVaughntv. I think she blow dries her hair though. The few times I have a big fluffy twist out I like, it's somewhat unintentional and difficult to duplicate exactly when I try again... hmmm. I do know the key is having it done on stretched dry hair, so I usually have a 'bigger' stretched twist out towards the end of the week, but the product usage is what leaves me stumped. If I use too much grease my stretched twist out is flat and greasy. On a lighter note, I'm always flattered and it warms my heart when strangers ask what I use in my hair. Yesterday I went to a new nail salon in Harlem and literally as soon as I stepped in, the young black owner asked me what products I use. Then on my way home on the train, a girl sits beside me and asked me what I use in my hair.

Britt I don't blame them for asking. Love your hair in the avatar pic.

sweetpea7

Almost had a situation after applying my fsg to my wash n go today. Knot today and fsg do not mix well while the hair is wet. It dried fine though

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I just realized that I left my bag of hair products at the Dominican salon. I had Keracare shampoo, Humecto conditioner, Nexxus Emergencee, Chi Silk Infusion and my comb. I hope no one takes it. Those were new bottles :sad:

Last edited:

naija24

when transitioning, so that i'm clear...does hair need protein for the demarcation line? or just extra moisture?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
when transitioning, so that i'm clear...does hair need protein for the demarcation line? or just extra moisture?

Protein to keep it strong. The line of demarcation is a weak point. Moisture will help too. I always do a protein dc followed by a moisture dc