Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

imaginary

Underwhelmed with these braids. I think this'll be the last time I put in individual braids and will experiment with twisted and braided crochet braid styles.

I also had to pull out 2 braids that were on my edges, I forgot to tell the braider not to do those parts since the hair there grows in extra fine and breakage prone.

Idk if I'll even make it to 4 weeks with these...

ClassyJSP

WHY is it starting to take forever for me to find Netrogena silk touch leave in? My Walmart/Target almost always has it but it's been out of stock for weeks. I've been picking it up in CVS.

I hope they don't discontinue it I found it right after Herbal essence got rid of the long term relationship leave in

Saga

The Generous Queen
What have you tried?
acv rinses, tea rinses, frequent washing, & oiling my scalp.The frequent washes help but only when I'm not in braids because the flakes don't get trapped in the braided style. The flakes are also not big like psoriasis they are small but after about 3 days of chill my scalp just freaks out.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
acv rinses, tea rinses, frequent washing, & oiling my scalp.The frequent washes help but only when I'm not in braids because the flakes don't get trapped in the braided style. The flakes are also not big like psoriasis they are small but after about 3 days of chill my scalp just freaks out.
What product lines are you using to wash? It could be a build up or mild skin reaction. I had this problem. It was a mix of eczema and reaction to certain shampoos and rinse out conditioners

Saga

The Generous Queen
What product lines are you using to wash? It could be a build up or mild skin reaction. I had this problem. It was a mix of eczema and reaction to certain shampoos and rinse out conditioners
I'm using tressemme naturals shampoo. Should I do clay treatments? I've heard that helps with build up

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I'm using tressemme naturals shampoo. Should I do clay treatments? I've heard that helps with build up
I just looked up the ingredients. Unless its the wrong one that shampoo has both ALCOHOL and GLYCERIN. Both very drying to hair and scalp.

Try another shampoo without those ingredients.

Clay might be hard to rinse out the braid length and at the scalp under the starting point of each braid.

Hth.

ClassyJSP

I seriously need to figure out why my scalp is itching so much. I've cowashed this week and let my hair airdry with no product looks like i'll be washing again tonight this time I may apply something directly to my scalp.

MsCarmenP

WHY is it starting to take forever for me to find Netrogena silk touch leave in? My Walmart/Target almost always has it but it's been out of stock for weeks. I've been picking it up in CVS.

I hope they don't discontinue it I found it right after Herbal essence got rid of the long term relationship leave in
Same here. I've been looking for about a week. Walmart, Target, Walgreens. No one has it.

Saga

The Generous Queen
Is it possible you have seborrheic dematitis? My sister has it and her hair flakes tremendously with braids and twist styles. Do you only have flaked when you are PSing? Does your scalp itch or just flake?
That I'm not sure of, I'll have to see a dermatologist. As for now it's just flaky, usually starts to become itchy around week 3 of the style.

Have you tried a sulfur based product? I've been a constant braid wearer and I usually use a sulfur based product on my scalp every other day and I've had great results.
I was considering trying Sulfur8 because I saw good reviews on amazon, but I trust LHCF reviews more than any amazon reviews so was hoping someone might recommend a specific product. Any ideas?

julzinha

That I'm not sure of, I'll have to see a dermatologist. As for now it's just flaky, usually starts to become itchy around week 3 of the style.

I was considering trying Sulfur8 because I saw good reviews on amazon, but I trust LHCF reviews more than any amazon reviews so was hoping someone might recommend a specific product. Any ideas?

I use Njoy Oil, I think it works very well and smells nice. I've tried Sulfur 8 and MTG. My issue with Sulfur 8 was the build up it caused on my scalp and it smelled awful. MTG worked well, but it also smelled awful. Njoy is natural oils, essential oils, and sulfur. I've bought each scent and Floral Fantasy and Mint Chocolate smell the best.

ETA: There are also a lot of women on this board that swear by Liquid Gold Oil and their Green Magic cream which are both sulfur based.

Last edited:

curlyTisME

I'd go ahead and ask the dermatologist. No harm in making sure it's not something a bit more serious. Also what products are you using prior to and during your PSing?

Saga

The Generous Queen
I'd go ahead and ask the dermatologist. No harm in making sure it's not something a bit more serious. Also what products are you using prior to and during your PSing?
Well all my oils are natural, but I use silicon mix to dc or sometimes neutrogena triple moisture DC prior to psing. And as mentioned previously the tressemme naturals. I use organic shea butter to moisturize/seal but just recently purchase cantu-shea butter leave in. My old routine was the Crown & Glory Method which diminished the itching but didn't combat the flakes. Now I'm just free styling and installed my havana twists on sunday and noticed flakes just the other day.

My first wash will be this weekend with diluted shampoo. The funny thing is I tried a paraben free, sulfate free, alcohol free shampoo for a year before and it made absolutely no difference. It was the shampoo from the Hydratherma Naturals line. I'll find out what my insurance covers and definitely go see someone .

I use Njoy Oil, I think it works very well and smells nice. I've tried Sulfur 8 and MTG. My issue with Sulfur 8 was the build up it caused on my scalp and it smelled awful. MTG worked well, but it also smelled awful. Njoy is natural oils, essential oils, and sulfur. I've bought each scent and Floral Fantasy and Mint Chocolate smell the best.

ETA: There are also a lot of women on this board that swear by Liquid Gold Oil and their Green Magic cream which are both sulfur based.

I was just looking at liquid gold recently! I'll look at the contents of both and choose between one of the two.

theRaven

Okay so like a good girl I washed my hair out and it smells good and feels lovely...only to find out im going to the beach tomorrow

curlyTisME

I really want to get a swim cap for while I am on vacation. I do not want chlorine in my hair nor do I want to have to manipulate my hair too much. I am going hunting for one this weekend.

Honey Bee

I'm gonna be in Europe for a month. I don't feel like being bothered with my hair. Would it be a terrible idea to buy, like, two lacefronts? :look:

Honey Bee

I complimented a natural fro-ed woman on her hair, and I could tell that she really appreciated my comments. Her fro was not massive, no curl definition, no edges laid nor colored - just a healthy, dense round head of hair.

She was beaming afterwards!
I've done that before and the girl looked at me like I was being shady. I kinda didn't know what to do at that point and I'm not the socially-awkward type. I feel bad for saying this, but I stopped complimenting people after that. :(

ClassyJSP

Ladies please always remember to detangle. My first perm this year went awful since I barely detangled as soon as the water hit my hair I had a ton of knots all my progress is basically gone.

AgeinATL

I decided to go back to demi permanent hair color. It's just as effective at coloring my hair without ammonia. Looking to try the Shea Moisture hair color but it is next to impossible to find in stores.