RANT: I bought a Pibbs 514 and it's still taking more than 2 hours to dry!!!

hillytmj

I am so upset right now! Actually, I've calmed down since 2 am when I finally shut the thing off and went to bed. :wallbash: I've tried the Pibbs on three occassions, and I'm estimating that it will still take 2.5 to 3 hours to get dry under there. To make matters worse, I put the heat on the highest temp (70) and I got some small sunburn like effect on my cheeks and neck.

I'm so frustrated because I went through a lot to get this thing - literally. The one positive thing I've experienced so far is that your hair does come out really soft and silky. It only takes about 1.5 hours to dry when I go to the salon, and I was hoping to get a similar time frame from the Pibbs 514 Kwik Dry.

How do you all get the quick, 1.5 hour dry times with the Pibbs? I've been rollersetting for almost two years now and my routine hasn't changed: apply leave-in, serum and right before I roll a section, I spray it with my water/setting lotion mix. I do the mohawk method and just moved up to the grey rollers.

Please help! I'm gonna take the Pibbs back to Sallys unless I get some encouragment or tips. Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your dryer woes. Never heard of anyone with a Pibbs and drying time of that length. Hopefully someone will chime in with helpful tips.

I am sorry to hear about your problems too because I plan to get the Pibbs for the reasons you got it and that's to cut down the drying time. I wonder if it's the particular unit you received ?

It's defective. Take it back.

It should not ever take that long to dry on 70 with a Pibbs 514. I was under the 514 at the salon last week and was dry in 40 minutes with the temp on 50 for 20 minutes and the I turned it down to 40 because my ears were burning.

I have the 512 at home and have never taken over an hour to dry. DH uses it too and even with his head full of long dreadlocks it does not take an hour for him to dry completely.

I am so upset right now! Actually, I've calmed down since 2 am when I finally shut the thing off and went to bed. :wallbash: I've tried the Pibbs on three occassions, and I'm estimating that it will still take 2.5 to 3 hours to get dry under there. To make matters worse, I put the heat on the highest temp (70) and I got some small sunburn like effect on my cheeks and neck.

I'm so frustrated because I went through a lot to get this thing - literally. The one positive thing I've experienced so far is that your hair does come out really soft and silky. It only takes about 1.5 hours to dry when I go to the salon, and I was hoping to get a similar time frame from the Pibbs 514 Kwik Dry.

How do you all get the quick, 1.5 hour dry times with the Pibbs? I've been rollersetting for almost two years now and my routine hasn't changed: apply leave-in, serum and right before I roll a section, I spray it with my water/setting lotion mix. I do the mohawk method and just moved up to the grey rollers.

Please help! I'm gonna take the Pibbs back to Sallys unless I get some encouragment or tips. Thanks!

I agree with naturaltobe. That is way to long for the Pibbs 514. My hair is not nearly as long as yours but it takes me about 45-50 minutes with the Pibbs vs. 75-90 minutes at the salon.

I have seen on the board where some ladies advised someone to have their Pibbs plugged directly into the power outlet and not a power strip. (?) I'm sorry that you're having issues. I know that's frustrating after making such an investment. But good thing you can return it. Maybe it is that particular unit as someone else stated.

ITA with Naturaltobe and Ajacks---its defective send it back immediately! I heart my PIBBS best investment Ive made! My dryer time was cut down tremendously with the Pibbs. MY previous tabletop took 1.5 sometimes more and I still had spots that were not dry. Pibbs done in 45min---no hot or cold spots--its a full circulation of air which helps so much with drying time.

Last edited:
I agree that it must be defective. My hair is between armpit and brastrap and the only time I have experienced the need to dry for more the an hour and 15 minutes is if the ends of my hair are too wet. Now I sort of strip off the excess water with my fingers before I lay the hair on the roller and it dries fine. Unless you have reason to believe your hair is too wet it must be the dryer.

How thick are your sections? I use extremely thin sections and a bajillion rollers (my hair is thick and BSL) and I can get out in 60 minutes. Plus I have the 512.

I have seen on the board where some ladies advised someone to have their Pibbs plugged directly into the power outlet and not a power strip. (?) I'm sorry that you're having issues. I know that's frustrating after making such an investment. But good thing you can return it. Maybe it is that particular unit as someone else stated.

Thanks for the advice. I plugged in a variety of sockets throughout the house, so I'm definitely starting to think it's faulty.

How thick are your sections? I use extremely thin sections and a bajillion rollers (my hair is thick and BSL) and I can get out in 60 minutes. Plus I have the 512.

I can't really gauge thickness, but it this helps, I used 9 rollers to do the mohawk row (starting at the crown and ending at the nape). I then create two rows on the sides. I only do two in the first rows because my hair is layered around face. For the rows that are closer to the nape and mohawk area, I use four rollers.

I've always used the purple rollers and tried the grey ones for the first time, but I don't think my sections are too big.

You also have very long, thick hair, and if you're also drying in an hour, somethings wrong. Thanks for the feedback.

Well, based on everyone's responses, I'm definitely thinking the unit is faulty. Here's the bad thing; I bought it from Sallys and they charge a 20% restocking fee for equipment returns.

I initially ordered a less expensive dryer from Sally's and it didn't work. I convinced them not to charge me the 20% restocking fee if I bought the Pibbs from them. They sent me a Pibbs 514 two weeks later, and it arrived in the box in several broken pieces. I then had them send me this one. They're gonna be like, "Oh Lord, here she comes" when I go back and want another return. But if everyone on here agrees that it may be defective, I may print our comments and show them to the Sally's reps in case they give me any beef.

I'm also thinking I may get a full refund anyway and purchase it online like the other ladies did during the Pibbs sale. I haven't read a lot of complaints from any of the ladies who did this and the full price at those places is still a lot cheaper than Sally's. At this point, I'm so desperate for a good dryer. I've been going through this whole "finding a good dryer" dilemma - with poufy, frizzy hair - for nearly two months now, and I'm a die-hard rollersetter. ARRRGHHH!!! :wallbash:

Whew :curtain: I had to peek back in her to see what was up! I'm sweating that Pibbs Bear hard, that's my Christmas present to me. I don't want to hear anything bad about the Pibbs :grin:

I guessed it was defective :yep:

Whew :curtain: I had to peek back in her to see what was up! I'm sweating that Pibbs Bear hard, that's my Christmas present to me. I don't want to hear anything bad about the Pibbs :grin:

I guessed it was defective :yep:

LOL! I totally know how you feel, and I'm also glad to know it's defective. I wonder if something is happening during the shipping process since is the second defective one that Sally's sent me. That's why I'm thinking of ordering from somewhere else.

Have you decided where you're gonna order?

Do any of the other posters have suggestions for good suppliers?

Do the Pibbs people sell their products directly to customers, or do we always have to go through a vendor.

Thanks for all the comments ladies. I really appreciate them. :yep:

LOL! I totally know how you feel, and I'm also glad to know it's defective. I wonder if something is happening during the shipping process since is the second defective one that Sally's sent me. That's why I'm thinking of ordering from somewhere else.

Have you decided where you're gonna order?

Do any of the other posters have suggestions for good suppliers?

Do the Pibbs people sell their products directly to customers, or do we always have to go through a vendor.

Thanks for all the comments ladies. I really appreciate them. :yep:

This place has gotten good reviews here http://www.imperialsales.net/512.html

That IS odd. When I use my spaceship dryer - it takes me 2.5+ so I finally started using my Pibbs 512 exclusively and it only takes 1.5 hours. I use Medium Heat.

What heat are you using? Are you making sure your head is completely under the dryer?

Don't feel bad OP. It took my 2 hours to dry a rollerset Sat. This isn't the first time either. However, its still quicker than my other hard or soft bonnet.

That IS odd. When I use my spaceship dryer - it takes me 2.5+ so I finally started using my Pibbs 512 exclusively and it only takes 1.5 hours. I use Medium Heat.

What heat are you using? Are you making sure your head is completely under the dryer?

I have a Pibbs 514 as well. It takes me approx. 1hr. 20 mins. on 50 to dry completely.

I got mine through the original Pibbs deal back in January 2008 through Imperial Sales. Tony was the man.

Last edited:
Does it get really hot? Maybe that is the problem. Mine doesn't and I made the mistake of letting the year go by without aggressively trying to contact Tony from Imperial Sales to replace it. My guess is its now out of warranty and I am just stuck with it. Mine doesn't get nearly as hot as the one at the salon (its a 512 I think because its white). I sent several emails and never got a reply. I do remember someone on this forum posted that hers wasn't very hot and she did something to it and got it to get hot. I'll have to search for it.

I also it may be defective, however, when I go under it @ about 55 degrees it takes me about an hour to dry and as you can see my hair isn't that long; my drying time increases the further away I am from a fresh relaxer.

Yeah, i agree with the ladies. There's definitely something wrong. My hair dries in less than hour with the temp on 50. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Yes ma'am, I'm completely under there. I put it on 50-60 degrees. and sat one hour. The hottest temp is 70 and I sat in there for another hour and my face looked like a baked cake, but my hair was still damp and frizzy in the back. My face is still red like I have rouge on, and it's two days later!

ita its defective

although if you're using serum AND leave in AND setting lotion.... that's a lot

Do you think I'm using too much product? This is what my stylist does and what Macherieamour does in her rollersetting video only she uses water instead of setting lotion. I intentionally tried to prevent my hair from dripping wet before sitting under the dryer.

Back