Re: Allandra's Thread--What Will You Say When...

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Re: Allandra\'s Thread--What Will You Say When...

you have your hair down on Christmas and people comment on how much your hair has grown? I think it is inappropriate to say "Thank You" because hair grows--that's what it does, so it's not like that's a compliment, more like a declarative statement. So, what is the appropriate response for that?

Hmmmmm.
scratchchin.gif
Girl, that is a good question.

or what about when people say "your hair's long" in such shock/excitement. what do you say??

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
say: "S-Cuuuuurrrrrrrrl"
laugh.gif

joking...

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

Well, maybe we can say 'are you interested in growing long, healthy hair'? If they say yes, then you can start giving them the basic 'LHCF tips'. If they so no, just say 'ok'.

Hmmmmmmm
scratchchin.gif

Even though SG says that "thank you" is inappropriate, it may come across as kind of rude if you don't express thanks (if the comment is clearly a compliment).
confused.gif

If I were in that position, I'd probably say "Thanks for the encouragement. Let me know if you ever have any questions."

girl, I'd feel awkward telling family members "Let me know if you have any questions"
laugh.gif

In the past, I have told people "thanks for noticing." Maybe I'll just stick with that.

I just say "Oh really" and just act like I dont know my hair is long, or like this weekend a friend commented on my length/growth and all I just said "Yes, Im growing my hair out". It all depends on who is doing the asking and how they ask it..

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
girl, I'd feel awkward telling family members "Let me know if you have any questions"
laugh.gif

In the past, I have told people "thanks for noticing." Maybe I'll just stick with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

Yeah, maybe that is a little work e-mailish. Ok, scratch that. I vote for "thanks for noticing" or "thanks for the encouragement"

Now the "Oh Really?" is pretty funny
laugh.gif

I like the "Yeah, I've been growing it out." kind of casual-like response
smile.gif

i just say "thank you" which REALLY means "thank you for noticing how fabulous my hair looks. i've spent a ton of money on different products and been leaving it alone in an ugly bun for a couple of years now. so yeah, it's nice to have something to show for all the sacrifice."

yep... "thank you!"...
laugh.gif

I say thank you most of the time. What's the point of having the hair if you can't enjoy it.

I say thank you most of the time. What's the point of having the hair if you can't enjoy it. My very own grandmother who used to do my hair everyday as a child still asks from time to time if I have pieces put in!

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
Now the "Oh Really?" is pretty funny
laugh.gif

I like the "Yeah, I've been growing it out." kind of casual-like response
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that's what I say....".ok, thanks I've been letting it grow"

[ QUOTE ]
adrienne0914 said:
i just say "thank you" which REALLY means "thank you for noticing how fabulous my hair looks. i've spent a ton of money on different products and been leaving it alone in an ugly bun for a couple of years now. so yeah, it's nice to have something to show for all the sacrifice."

yep... "thank you!"...
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl.gif
Adrienne, you are too much!

I just say simply
shocked.gif
: I knoooooowwww! It IS growing isn't it? (like I'm just as suprised as they are)
And that usually sparks questions about how I maintain my hair, what products, etc, etc, etc.

I always say "Thank you" because I consider it a compliment when someone says that to me. Sure hair grows, but not everyone can keep it either. So, I'm extra thankful.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Caramela said:
[ QUOTE ]
adrienne0914 said:

yep... "thank you!"...
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl.gif
Adrienne, you are too much!

I just say simply
shocked.gif
: I knoooooowwww! It IS growing isn't it? (like I'm just as suprised as they are)
And that usually sparks questions about how I maintain my hair, what products, etc, etc, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok now. Those have always been my answers depending on the level of hate or love.
laugh.gif
smile.gif

"yeh, i've been taking extra good care of my hair" or something along those lines

This past Thanksgiving when I visited the future in-laws I used "Yes, I'm growing it out" as well.
smile.gif

I guess my hair's always been somewhat long so I don't get much reactions anymore unless I wear a different style! But one day it's going to swinging long, thick, and natural - now that, I can't wait for reactions on!

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
you have your hair down on Christmas and people comment on how much your hair has grown? I think it is inappropriate to say "Thank You" because hair grows--that's what it does, so it's not like that's a compliment, more like a declarative statement. So, what is the appropriate response for that?

[/ QUOTE ] I was thinking the exact same thing a few days ago! This guy told me that I had long hair and I just smiled. Then he got mad because I didn't say thank you! I didn't know he meant it as a compliment. It just sounded like a statement to me. Kinda like saying "Your skin is brown." Lol.

[ QUOTE ]
bree said:
or what about when people say "your hair's long" in such shock/excitement. what do you say??

[/ QUOTE ]Now if they said it like that then I would say thank you because it sounds like they think it's beautiful also

[ QUOTE ]
bellydancer said:
[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:

[/ QUOTE ] I was thinking the exact same thing a few days ago! This guy told me that I had long hair and I just smiled. Then he got mad because I didn't say thank you! I didn't know he meant it as a compliment. It just sounded like a statement to me. Kinda like saying "Your skin is brown." Lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would've laughed.
laugh.gif

How about: "I try to take good care of it...thanks, for noticing!"

That sounds pretty graceful, to me.

Back