Ready to Wear Natural Hair Out...NOT!

EbonyEyes

Hi guys!

I have been wearing twists 90% of the time for the past year and a half. I would only wear my hair out when it was in a twist-out. The twist out would last a few days before it was time to go back into twists.

Well, I thought that I had been in twists long enough and it was time to wear my fro again. I was so ready for this guys..I bought head scarves and everything.

This past Saturday, I washed my hair and put my hair in two cute afro puffs. Saturday night, I moisturized my hair and put my hair in 8 large twists.

When I woke up Sunday morning for church, I took out the twists and my hair looked a mess! I didn't know what style to put it in. So I went back to the two afro puffs.

Sunday night, I decided that maybe I wasn't ready to wear my hair out. So I went into the shower to detangle my hair and Oh my Goodness!! The tangles were unbelievable! That maybe i wasn't ready turned into a definately[/i] wasn't ready! I couldn't believe that my hair tangled that much after one day!

So, I'm going to stay in twists for the time being. I can see myself staying in the twists for another year. In the meantime, I need to figure out what to do about my hair tangling as much as it does when I wear it out. How can I begin to style it when I can't even get my hands through it?

On a good note: I can put my natural hair in a ponytail!! I didn't realize I could and it was a nice suprise.

Also, the Sulfur 8 is really working for me. I think with the Country Life vitamins, the sulfur 8, and my improved diet, I could start pulling 3/4 - 1 inch a month!!

-Ebony

This is what is really frustrating me right now. What's the point of having natural hair if you can never wear it out? I spend hours on my hair combing it out, braiding it up so it won't tangle, etc. I wish I could just wear it out without worrying about tangles or looking like a wild woman.

After I wear my hair out I just slather with conditioner and fingercomb through it once I hit the shower. But I dont wear twistouts much so I think that makes a big difference. That's another reason why I shy away from twistouts other than the fact that I dont care much for the style on me -- They cause tangles like a mutha. I rather wear a regular picked out fro, cornrows or twists or something like that. I think twistouts look nice but they are sorta a recipe for disaster if youre not super careful. -- jainygirl

caligirl said:
This is what is really frustrating me right now. What's the point of having natural hair if you can never wear it out? I spend hours on my hair combing it out, braiding it up so it won't tangle, etc. I wish I could just wear it out without worrying about tangles or looking like a wild woman.

It can be really frustrating. I want to cornrow my hair but it's so tangled in its unstretched state that I can't get through my hair properly to cornrow it.

This might sound odd, but I think it will be easier for me when my hair gets longer.

My hair is not long enough to put my hair in 20-25 large twists that I can rock for a week, wear a twist out for a couple days, and then wash. And since my hair will be stretched out from the twists, it won't be hard to comb. But it's probably going to take another two years of growing my hair out to get to that point. So for those two years, I'm going to rock my small twists.

I love my afro. I really do. But wearing my hair out in that way causes way too many tangles.

-Ebony

natural hair is truly amazing..for no two heads are the exact same.

i can wear my hair just about anyway i want to without tangles..etc EXCEPT FOR..a picked out fro. that is nothing to me but a nightmare.

Gosh, I wish I had your problem! My hair is so mixed up! I'm 4 1/2" texturized and4 1/2" relaxed with 1" natural hair. :( Trying to style this mess makes me wanna :cry2: I can't style it myself because the 2 textures are so difficult to do anything to. I'm getting cornrows on saturday and I'm debating on b/cing after I have the braids taken out. It's become too much for me to handle. It only looks nice wet. If I could wear twists and do them myself, i'd be a happy camper! I can't wait to be 100% natural!

Ladies, I wear my hair out just for the summer. My hair is to my bra strap. The key is to wash / condition your hair in sections so that it does not get tangled in the first place. I braid my hair in 4 to 6 braids I wash and braid one move to the next and so on. At night I mositurize my hair, pull it on top of my head and put on a satin cap. The next morning I just let it fall into place.

Luckily for me I wear my hair in twists almost all of the time...mostly during the week. But on the weekends when its time to let go I will wet twist my hair in about 6 twists and on Saturday morning I'll have a full, thick twist out fro. I only wear it out on the weekends during the summer months only. After that its back in twists or braids.

Cheesecake555 said:
Ladies, I wear my hair out just for the summer. My hair is to my bra strap. The key is to wash / condition your hair in sections so that it does not get tangled in the first place. I braid my hair in 4 to 6 braids I wash and braid one move to the next and so on. At night I mositurize my hair, pull it on top of my head and put on a satin cap. The next morning I just let it fall into place.

I wash my hair like that. I put my hair in 8 twisted sections. I wash each section then twist it back. But I think my hair just tangles easily. I'm a type 4 with fine strands.

-Ebony

I were to wear my hair out I would have to wash it in order to detangle it. This is only so because I make it a point not to comb my hair when it is dry. I like protective styles because they result in less manipulation leading to more growth retention.

Back