Realistically, our hair growth rate will slow down as we age

levette

I just had to comment to the "Cathy Howse" responses on this board. A lot of us posters were not impressed with the length of her hair. I was because I factored in several things.
1. She looks to be in her 50's - her hair is still thick- how many 50 year olds have hair that thick?
2. She is 100% natural from letting her relaxer grow out. For her hair to have grown out to that length after stopping relaxing is commendable
3. I know for a fact that as we age our hair will tend to grow slower and will be prone to becoming thinner. Gray hair starts to take over.
I am almost 40 years old and know that it will take me longer to get me hair full mid-back length than someone who is in their 20's if we both had the same hair regimine.

Just something to consider.

faithVA

As we age we do have a change in hormones and many of us have had unhealthy hair practices for years which I think makes thinning and alopecia more prevalent than it has to be. With the knowledge we now have I think a 30 year old can put practices into place to severely curb the hair thinning issue.

As far as growth rate I haven't heard anyone in the 40 to 70 year old range mention that their hair grows slower than usual. I know there are a lot of 40+ women on the board. I think growth rate probably is comparable to before. There may be some retention issues but I'm not sure about the growth rate.

I think if you have healthy hair care practices and you maintain your health the best you can that you have a good chance of having a having a head of healthy, long hair.

Just my thoughts.

reeko43

I will be 46 in a few months and my hair is the longest it has ever been. My hair is thinning due to PCOS but appears to b growing at the same slow rate as always :(

ms.blue

My mom who is about to be 58 hair grows fast, even though it is thinning (blood pressure meds). So if it is slowing down, I'm still impressed. Cathy Howse hair could be in better condition if she would reduce the amount of heat she uses.

*CherryPie*

I'm 46 and my is not growing any slower than when I was younger. And it's still just as thick as it was.

When I was relaxed (BC'ed in january) I went from APL to MBL in about a year (give or take a month or so). That's not slow.

faithVA

My mom is in her late 60s and her hair is growing faster than mine :tantrum:

So its going to be a war in the home to see who reaches APL first.

~~HoneyComb~~

I just had to comment to the "Cathy Howse" responses on this board. A lot of us posters were not impressed with the length of her hair. I was because I factored in several things.
1. She looks to be in her 50's - her hair is still thick- how many 50 year olds have hair that thick?
2. She is 100% natural from letting her relaxer grow out. For her hair to have grown out to that length after stopping relaxing is commendable
3. I know for a fact that as we age our hair will tend to grow slower and will be prone to becoming thinner. Gray hair starts to take over.
I am almost 40 years old and know that it will take me longer to get me hair full mid-back length than someone who is in their 20's if we both had the same hair regimine.

I don't know how true this is, but I certainly don't buy into it :nono:

I did a 3rd BC back in August of 2008 at the age of 44 and as of this date my hair is longer than it's ever been. I'm 47 and It's taken my less than 3 years to grow my hair to MBL (current length straightened) and I am pushing for WL by the beginning of next year or by this time next year.

My hair is also thicker than it's ever been (my strands are thin, but I have a lot of hair, esp. in the crown area).

I think it's possible for lots of women past the age of 40 to have even healthier hair than they may have had in their former years.

ChristmasCarol

I'm over 40 and my hair grows as fast as it ever did. I've been keeping track of my DDs hair growth over the past 21 months. During that time, they've grown approx. 12 inches and I have grown 11 inches. Not much difference. Also, I'm anemic and they are not. If age and anemia accounted for that inch - so be it.

Ms. Howse's hair is not impressive - whether she's 21 or 71, IMO.

*Frisky*

I don't know how true this is, but I certainly don't buy into it :nono:

I did a 3rd BC back in August of 2008 at the age of 44 and as of this date my hair is longer than it's ever been. I'm 47 and It's taken my less than 3 years to grow my hair to MBL (current length straightened) and I am pushing for WL by the beginning of next year or by this time next year.

My hair is also thicker than it's ever been (my strands are thin, but I have a lot of hair, esp. in the crown area).

I think it's possible for lots of women past the age of 40 to have even healthier hair than they may have had in their former years.

ITA...my hair is thicker as well since I went natural and has grown probably pretty close to 2 inches since April 1st. Even my 72 year old mother's hair is thick and she is between APL and BSL with no relaxer and she is completely gray. The are too many other factors as to why people hair grows at certain rates rather than just age.

cocosweet

I forgot to say that for us, Ms. Cathy's hair isn't impressive because we hang out here and see hair her length and longer everyday. I do think her hair is impressive to many in the real world, thirsty ends or not.

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
My mother is a senior citizen and her hair is still thick. She just abuses the heck out of it.

This, my 80-yo granny has perpetually APL hair because she abuses it on the regular...it just started getting thinner in the crown area but is still super thick and curly (although she refuses to wear it in it's natural state :ohwell:)

prospurr4

From my experience, I have to totally disagree with your points:

1. I just turned 51, and my hair is thicker and longer than it has ever been in my life. I wouldn't want to even deal with how thick my natural hair would be. :nono:
2. I'm relaxed/texlaxed, and I am very satisfied with my length; currently Full MBL, with some strands touching WL.
3. My growth rate is the same, if not faster, judging by the amount of NG I have at touchup time. And, as mentioned in #1, it is thicker than ever. I color my grays with semi-permanent color, and I'm good to go!

Adopting a healthy lifestyle is so important, especially as we age. I watch what I eat, exercise regularly, drink plenty of water, and avoid stress. As a result, I am healthier and have more energy than when I was in my 30s and 40s.

Beverly Ann Properties

I BC 2 years ago this September and I will be 56 in 3 weeks. My hair is growing and is healthier now because of my healthy hair journey and healthy lifestyle in general. My aim is to grow my hair to the longest length possible, no matter how long it takes.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Sorry OP but I too disagree with your assumptions that AGE is the reason for Ms Howse and other women's hair thinning. For Ms Howse, I think it is a combination of illness (she mentioned something on her website) and the general amount of abuse she heaps on it. Unfortunately another issue by far is the number of health issues experienced by women in a certain age bracket combined with the side effects of the medications prescribed.

By the way, I too am in my 40s, and following a change in my diet and exercise my hair is now thicker than it's been ever. Take better care of yourself now and thinning hair won't be an issue.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict

OP - do you have any research to prove this "fact".
Seems like most of these posts are not agreeing with you and have proof of the exact opposite. I think it's not good to make blanket statements.]]

ETA: I'm over 40 and this is the longest (WL) my hair has been since childhood

LadyRaider

Well not empirical data, but... my mom had 2c silky texture hair and it was down her back in a braid. She cut it later in life and it didn't grow back as easily as it probably would have if she was younger. Still... I'm talking 60+ years of age. At 40 and 50 her hair was still growing long and strong.

My mom had gray hair fairly early (mid to late 30s) and I don't think it effected her hair growth at all.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
As we age we do have a change in hormones and many of us have had unhealthy hair practices for years which I think makes thinning and alopecia more prevalent than it has to be. With the knowledge we now have I think a 30 year old can put practices into place to severely curb the hair thinning issue.

As far as growth rate I haven't heard anyone in the 40 to 70 year old range mention that their hair grows slower than usual. I know there are a lot of 40+ women on the board. I think growth rate probably is comparable to before. There may be some retention issues but I'm not sure about the growth rate.

I think if you have healthy hair care practices and you maintain your health the best you can that you have a good chance of having a having a head of healthy, long hair.

Just my thoughts.

I wish I could say my growth rate is comparable to the rate it was when I was younger but it's not. My rate has definitely slowed and slowed a lot. I'm past 50 years.

faithVA

I wish I could say my growth rate is comparable to the rate it was when I was younger but it's not. My rate has definitely slowed and slowed a lot. I'm past 50 years.

There will probably always be some people that fit a mold and some people that do not.

I just don't think it is the norm that people's hair grows slower because of aging. I just think for most people other factors are involved which may coincide with living longer.

I wouldn't want the expectation to develop among younger (under 40), oh I am getting older my hair won't grow as fast, as thick, as long. I don't think with education, good health and proper care that it is normal or common.

Coffee

Here's my 2 cents worth. I will be 61 next month and my hair is still growing, and is thicker. Since I found LHCF and started to take care of my hair it doesn't appear to realize my age :lachen:and keeps getting healthier.

swgpec

I agree with the majority of those who have responded. Next year I will be 50 and my hair grows at the same rate if not faster than it did when I was much younger. My retention is so much better now that I have learned how to properly care for my hair.

Beautytalk69

TOTALLY Off topic..but you ladies look great for your age..face and body wise!

TO add to the topic.. my grandma is damn near 90 and my mom said she has never seen my grandma's hair this long. (the last time it was down her back was when she was a teen..before my mom was born). So I have to disagree with OP..cause G-ma whips her hair back and worth..all the way to church!

eajaye2u

Perimenapause affects everyone differantly. At 52 I never have had flashes, night sweats or axe murder tendancies. However my cycle comes and goes (TMI) and the hair growth has slowed and thinned. Even with LHFC care. Its just an individual thing.:yep:
Chlorrella and maca root capsules have helped btw with all of the above.

Ltown

Greyland
My mom is 69 and her hair still growing she don't want long hair but she has to get it cut all time time because it grow fast.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I'm so glad to see so many over 40, 50 and 60 members here!!! :)

I'm 40 and my hair is the longest it's ever been. It seems to have found it's terminal length at a little longer than hip length, though. I'm satisfied with that. :yep:

It's not as thick as it used to be, but grows at the same rate as usual.

Age is not a reason to stop growing your hair, but IMO people who continue to abuse their hair with too often and too harsh relaxers, hair colors and heat will not have long hair regardless of age.

NikStarrr

I've seen changes in thickness with older women in my fam--but not so much a change in growth rate. My grammy's hair still grows pretty darn fast.