Redken: Real Control vs. Smooth Down

Which line do you prefer? I have the smooth down heat glide and the butter treat and I really love them. I'm searching for a shampoo/conditioner combo and it just dawned on me to go for redken, but I'm not sure which one to choose. And can someone tell me where I can buy, jcpenney maybe?

sydwrites

I also like the smooth down line, although I liked it better for my relaxed hair. I've never tried real control so I cant compare, but Ulta usually has both and they always have coupons or sales. My hair has a love/hate relationship with protein so I try to stay clear of it. Also, places like hair cuttery have the duo sets which are usually reduced in price.

poookie

my reviews of both:

smooth down shampoo:
the liquid was clear, only a tiny amount was needed to thoroughly lather my hair (maybe 2 quarter sized amounts), rinsed cleanly, had AMAZING slip, effectively removed build-up, and the only shampoo i've used that left my hair softer after use.

real control shampoo:
white opaque liquid. not as slippy as the smooth down shampoo, didn't rinse my build up as easily as smooth down, nor was it as detangling. still a good shampoo, but didn't work wonders like real control did.

smooth down conditioner:
amazing slip. when left on for a few minutes, truly made my hair feel smooth, soft, and the smell from the conditioner (which is yummy :lick:) lingered even after thoroughly rinsing. wasn't the least bit overpowering, though.

real control conditioner:
left my hair soft (when left on for a few minutes), but definitely wasn't as slippery as the smooth down conditioner. a bit thicker formula than the smooth down. light pleasant smell, but it rinses away once product is washed out. made my hair soft, and moisturized, but didn't help too much with detangling.

all in all, i prefer the smooth down. i need slippery products, because when my hair's slippery, it's easier to blow-dry, and roller set. however, the real control line definitely wasn't a waste of money. neither shampoos were stripping, both conditioners left my hair soft and moisturized. also, the smooth down butter treat is an EXCELLENT product. i'll bet that both lines work better with their auxiliary products.

hth :D

Rapunzel*

i have the smooth down leave in and its amasing

it even defines my curlies for a wng

hopeful

I love the Smooth Down conditioner, butter treat and heat glide. I also really like the Extreme Anti-Snap before blow-drying. I tried the Real Control conditioner and hated it. Afterwards my scalp was itchy and my hair was tangled and dry.

pear

I love the Smooth Down conditioner, butter treat and heat glide. I also really like the Extreme Anti-Snap before blow-drying. I tried the Real Control conditioner and hated it. Afterwards my scalp was itchy and my hair was tangled and dry.

Oh yeah I forgot, the Real Control conditioner (mask in the jar) did absolutely NOTHING for my hair either....I also hated it!!!!

Menina Preta

I like the Real Control Masque. I only leave it on for 30 minutes though with heat. I think it helps when I roller-set and flat-iron. The style lasts longer and it feels stronger.

MissNina

Libra Girl
I love the Real Control mask but haven't tried the other stuff they have.

Smooth Down (the entire line) is my staple line.

The shampoo is the best after Design Essentials and Una. . .actually I think it is prob comparable to DE when I think more of it.

The condish is great. I love it. I just bought a liter during the Ulta sale just for CW :lick:

Butter Treat was a great DC when I first got it, but I actually prefer the Real Control Mask and All Soft Heavy Cream to it now. I currently use Butter Treat as a leave in. I do a DC with it as feel like.

The Detangling Leave-In really does help get out the tangles! I only buy the trial size since I have other leave ins that I use more and isn't as expensive, but when I really need the trick done, I holla at this. Just massage the leave in into tangles and let it sit for a min. Good to go!