Relaxed: Airdrying Without Setting

pyxis777

Neroli said:
Your bun dry looks good and your hair is beautiful, nice and thick! My bun dries pretty much the same, the top and sides are straight, little "ripples" in the middle where the hair was curved in the bun, and the ends are slightly curled. If I want "straight and sleek" then I do rollersets OR I do a mohawk after my bun dry. Happy experimenting while you find no heat drying methods that work for you. It was a very liberating experience for me, even when my hair was not quite "perfect" as I wanted, because it open up ideas for how to dry and work with my hair without use of heat -- never thought I could maintain style, bounce, body and smoothness without heat. Now, the skies the limit and I don't even have to use my hood dryer, it's truly unbelievable how simple my regimen is and how healthy and long my hair has gotten. . .

Thanks Neroli! The thickness shows up on camera, I think but not in real life! LOL. My hair is pretty thinned out from pressing, curling when I was natural (see ponytail pics). But it's coming back! :D I'm seeing results even in such a short time. I am definitely going to be experimenting w/ quick no heat drying methods like bunning. The first bun was my first taste. I think I will try 2 buns next time.

The no heat rollersets are great, but sometimes they take too long. I guess if things don't work out with the airdrying at least I know I can fall back on the roller sets.

Isis

pyxis777 said:
Ok I updated my pictures in fotki. Go to the Airdrying Methods and Results album.
Are all of your hair pics in this album the bun dry results?! Your hair looks beautiful Pyxis777. I'm glad it worked for you.:) I'll be experimenting some more with this, tweaking it here and there and maybe trying a Mohawk after the bun dry (as Neroli mentioned). I still don't have a working camera yet for pics.

I tried to comment in your album but I kept getting internal server errors from Fotki (it's very slow too).

Last edited:

pyxis777

Isis - Pics 24, 25, and 25a are my first bun dry results. Thanks for the complement! I don't take it lightly since my hair has many inches to go to get to your lengths (my dream, and goal :) ). All the other pics in the other albums of my relaxed hair are results of rollersets/pin curling at night. I'm gonna wash my hair tonight and try the bun set again.

Fotki was definitely messed up last night.

Dee-Licious

does anyone have a picture of their hair in the airdry bun? I'm trying to figure out the placement of the bun, and is it like a large bantu knot but without twisting the hair first?

baglady215

I airdry in a bun 99% of the time, mainly because my bun is 99% of the time my daily style. I put my leave in and oils in, smooth it back, and tie it down with a scarf. It's usually not completely dry by morning, but dry enough to go to work. Sometimes I'll let my hair airdry loose until it's just damp, then bantu my bun. I get a nice wavy ponytail once it's FULLY dry.

Isis

I airdried with my usual rollersetting routine, but did use rollers on the ends for smooth ends.
I'm reposting here (since it applies) from the "Scarf Method is the "TRUTH" to stretching" thread.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=116328

I always wear the scarf to keep my newgrowth down in between washes but I haven't been airdrying that way.

So I did Sylver2's scarf method again to airdry, overnight, tying my scarf very tight. When I took off my scarf, it looked like I had a skull cap on! That's how smooth and close to my scalp my hair was, including the new growth! I don't think I had my scarf on tight enough in the past.

I put a few (6) rollers at the ends of my length in the back as she did. Since it was overnight, the length did dry kind of pouffy, but not frizzy, with shiny, smooth, curled ends. I decided to wear it in a ponytail for now. I really like it although I may airdry the length differently next time.

ETA: I'm really loving my hair right now this way. I don't think my hair has been this close to my scalp before (it's usually bigger) and it's different for me. I look kind of...exotic. I'm wondering if I should fluff it out some or leave it this way and keep wearing the scarf to maintain the smoothness.
The length is swingy too.

ETA: Now I understand more of what Neroli, Sylver2 and some of the other ladies have been raving about. This also saves a lot of time with less manipulation to achieve the same thing. :yep:

Last edited: