Relaxed Heads: How do you get rid of that dreaded fresh relaxer feeling?

FemmeFatale

You know, that flat, thin, lifeless look it gets after a fresh relaxer..And how long/ many washes does it take?

And also, does conditioner really protect the relaxed ends when getting a touchup in the event that some relaxer gets on it? And if it accidentally occurred :look: what are some good post relaxer treatments to maintain the health of your hair?

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Lololoo I cant relate to the 1st question because my hair does not look thin & lifeless after a relaxer. **spank**

Yea the conditioner & oils help SLOW the process of re-relaxing ends that were previously relaxed. I say SLOW and not STOP because I remember once I coated my entire head, even NG, with coconut oil & my NG was still processed. Had a little wave in it....

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I find once I started doing the mid protein step my hair stopped having that super flat post relaxer look/feel.

ms.blue

When I was relaxed (before the hair boards), to get "rid" of that look was to simply wash my hair within the first week of getting a relaxer.

sunnieb

I can't relate either because my freshly relaxed hair is soft, bouncy, and ready to go from the jump.

Now when I went to a salon for my relaxers, it was flat, but never now that I self-relax.

kupenda

Wash it! Got any protein rise outs? Without fail, ORS Replenishing brought me to a bunch of lil wavies. I used to hate that lol. Ahh, the good ol ignorant days. When straight limp hair was my goal. What was I thinking?!?!

GettingKinky

My hair used to be like that when my stylist didn't time how long she left the relaxer on. It always took one or two washes before I liked my hair. I think I was over processed. Now that I have her under process my hair is never limp. I think if the processing time were long enough to get it straight without over processing it also wouldn't be limp.

sunnieb

Yeah, I think over-processing could be the culprit of the limp fresh relaxer.

I process my hair for 20-22 minutes each time and it doesn't turn out limp like it did when I was going to the salon.

FemmeFatale

So when I did a search on the topic I found a thread I made on the very same topic 2 years ago :lol: What I realize is that I'm usually weaved up with big curly hair or dealing with my own big hair from when I first take it down..and it's always a shocker when I get the touchup. The sleek, straight look usually fades away within a week or two, I just need to be patient, lol.

Last edited:

Jas123

The Star of a Story
i texlax... i use a mild lye relaxer w/oil mixed in... this particular relaxer never ever straightened my hair bone straight- even when i was using the regular strength with no oil added... this translates to my hair never being flat... also i'm a henna head... i do a henna right after every relaxer and this also helps with my hair never having that flat look

NaiyaAi

I started doing my own relaxers and the problem went away. But before that, the first wash after the relaxer usually got rid of the limpness.

brittle_hair

I agree the first wash after the relaxer usually sorts it out. It doesnt always happen due to over relaxing, sometimes it's down to your hair been weighed down with too much product and/or being flat ironed within an inch of it life with the super hot irons.

A wash and a protein treatment should sort it out (if its not over processed).

FemmeFatale

So it's been 12 days and 2 washes since this post and I swear my hair has done a 180..it's twice as thick as it was when I first relaxed..I cannot believe the stark difference! I also got a trim yesterday.

With each wash I used my Joico K pak and ORS replenishing pak. I also added JBCO to my DC.

LaurenMechelle

Garnier Fructis 3 Minute Undo gets rid of it for me - I have never had that straw-like feeling again since I started using it. I relax, wash/rinse with the neutralizing shampoo, then squeeze out excess water & apply the 3 minute with a heavy hand. If I have time, I wrap my head in press n'seal & let it sit for 1-2 hours, then rinse out & blowdry/style as usual. It also works well as a super conditioner - I put it on my ends before washing dirty hair if they feel like they're thinking about getting dry. And inexpensive!

AutumnDreams

LaurenMechelle

Those curls are very pretty! Do you remember if your stylist straightened your hair w/ the flat iron first and then went back and did your curls, or just did the curls?:scratchch. Just wondering in case i might get brave enough to try that at home myself. Oh, and did they last long?

LaurenMechelle

LaurenMechelle Those curls are very pretty! Do you remember if your stylist straightened your hair w/ the flat iron first and then went back and did your curls, or just did the curls?:scratchch. Just wondering in case i might get brave enough to try that at home myself. Oh, and did they last long?
Thanks!

He blew it out straight first, then used the flat iron to make the curls - no straightening first. They were curlier than in the pics, but dropped pretty quickly because it was hot & humid that day - my hair doesn't hold curls very well unless wet-set.

AutumnDreams

Thanks!

He blew it out straight first, then used the flat iron to make the curls - no straightening first. They were curlier than in the pics, but dropped pretty quickly because it was hot & humid that day - my hair doesn't hold curls very well unless wet-set.

Thanks for answering! Then its definitely something one would have to be skilled at, or at least alot of practice. I tried doing curls on my dd with a flat iron., without straightening first. It was pretty, but didnt last long and was a puffy mess a few days later. Never again lol, too much time wasted for the results. She is relaxed too.

I just thought of something interesting - every male stylist i had as a child and adult, could do some awesome curls. I dont know why i just thought about that.

Op- im sorry to derail your thread.