Relaxed Heads & Maintaining PC/PH Levels

BEAUTYU2U

So relaxed ladies, I was wondering how you maintain healthy porosity control and pH levels of your hair. I know there are certain products that relaxed heads are discouraged from using right before (or after) applying a relaxer. Such as ACV, baking soda, growth aids, etc. Is porosity or pH levels ever a problem? How do you correct it or maintain healthy hair? Do you test pH levels of your products? Use only natural products, etc.?

* I'm a natural, this is coming from pure curiosity and interest. No negativity allowed.

SmileyNY

I honestly don't measure or worry about PH. I Texlax 3 times a year with lye relaxer mixed with oil & conditioner.

Other than that, I do what most naturals probably do to maintain my hair. Prepoo, cowash, moisturize & seal, etc. I try to use products with natural ingredients.

I don't think about or measure PH, but I guess the levels are fine, as my hair is still very thick, has elasticity, and continues to grow long & strong.

Sent from my iPhone.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I try to use Natural/Handmade products. However, I still use 'some' Salon Brands that all have a lower ph balance.:yep:

I have overly porous hair, so I always use a Acidic Rinse as a Final Rinse after Deep Conditioning.

The ph balance of my products have never been a problem for me.

Last edited:

MsLi@512

I try to use natural PH balanced products. But don't bust out the PH testing strips or anything. I also use aloe vera juice and oils mixed with my favourite instant conditioner after I shampoo to keep things balanced. I know if my PH balance is out of whack, my hair sticks up and gets really frizzy and drier than usual. Other than that, I don't stress it too much.

bebezazueta

Well I purposely use ph balancing products depending on what service is about to be done or has been done on my hair

1) prior to relaxer, I clarify with ORS creamy aloe which is also a neutralizing shampoo & I DC & finish off with porosity control

2) immediately after a relaxer, a (5.5 ph) protein treatment is applied after thoroughly rinsing out relaxer & then neutralize with neutralizing shampoo 3 times at least. DC etc

3) first wash after relaxer, I use ORS creamy aloe shampoo & ORS replenishing pak

4). I normally cowash but if I use shampoo, I follow with roux porosity control

I have minimal shedding & no breakage during and after my relaxer process!

Raspberry

I use Roux Porosity Control 'poo and conditioner the first wash after a retouch. After that I don't worry about pH too much unless there is a problem with breakage or something.

Relaxers leave the hair in a very alkaline state and the neutralizing process is designed to bring the hair back into balance. Some self-relaxed ladies use ACV to aid neutralizing.

Most quality salon/drugstore products are pH balanced, I'm not sure that using purely natural products is guaranteed to help in that regard - besides ACV which is obviously acidic. I would personally never use baking soda on relaxed hair as it is highly alkaline. Baking soda made my hair feel terrible as a loose natural as well.

BEAUTYU2U

@bebezazueta, How did you figure out the safest/best routine for your (before and after) relaxer application? Like which pH level of products that was needed to maintain healthy hair? Was it mostly trial and error?

ETA: Thanks to the other ladies who posted responses!

kupenda

I don't check for porosity or anything. But I know when my cuticles are raised and I use Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer after my DCs to balance. I also like aloe vera on my ends. Ph isn't something I check for because I'm too cheap to buy testing strips

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)

bebezazueta

@bebezazueta, How did you figure out the safest/best routine for your (before and after) relaxer application? Like which pH level of products that was needed to maintain healthy hair? Was it mostly trial and error?

ETA: Thanks to the other ladies who posted responses!

BEAUTYU2U it was through trial & error & knowing that some products raise the ph of our hair! And I rather be safe than sorry. I also had a stylist who did not neutralize me properly before my HHJ & my 1st shampoo after that I used a shampoo with a high ph & my hair came out in clumps. Mind you it was fine after the relaxer but when I raised the ph some more it fell out bald

sunnieb

Another relaxed head who doesn't check for PH levels checking in!

However, my relaxing routine includes steps to restore my PH level to normal. I am a big believer in the mid-step protein treatment after rinsing the relaxer and prior to neutralizing. :yep:

I might look into the Roux porosity control for the future though.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I'm relaxed. I don't check PH levels. I love this hair journey but not enough to research about that stuff. My hair is doing fine.

Sent from a land where women rule.....