Relaxed Ladies who wear their hair out daily...

How often do you wear your relaxed hair out in a week?

• 7 days a week

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • 5 or 6 days

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • 3 or 4 days

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • Less than 3 days

Votes: 37 39.4%

• Total voters

sunnieb

Thanks for all of your responses ladies! I'm in the Bunning Challenge right now, so I'm fine with heavy protective styling through the end of year. However, I finally feel that I'm getting some length and I know I'll be itching to wear my hair out more next year! :yep:

What products are you ladies using to moisturize and seal? Does it weigh the hair style down? Just wondering... Was trying to find a combo that still keeps it swinging :)

Ya know I was thinking about this as well. Since I bun so much, I can be as heavy handed as I want. When I wear my hair out, I guess I'll have to change. :ohwell:

abcd09

Has anyone with fine hair had success wearing their hair out a lot?
I was wondering about this too. I noticed most of the ladies have thicker looking/more resilient strands. Fine haired women may find it harder. I believe my ends are not resilient- be it wearing them down, tucked away, up or whatever.

Mische

Has anyone with fine hair had success wearing their hair out a lot?
My hair strands are incredibly fine. Some of my shed hairs are so fine I can barely see them when I hold them up to the light (lookin' for that bulb!). :lol: In turn for wearing my hair down a lot I do tend to dust pretty regularly. I think this helps my fine strands from looking too thin at the ends.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
How many days a week do you wear your hair out?

Almost 7/7, depending on the weather and my mood.

How's your length retention?

Peachy keen.

How often do you use heat?

I rollerset a lot and rarely use heat.

Do you moisturize and seal your ends daily?

Yes. Every night before bed then wrap with a silk scarf.

Sent from TopNotch1010's iPhone using LHCF

newbeginnings2010

What products are you ladies using to moisturize and seal? Does it weigh the hair style down? Just wondering... Was trying to find a combo that still keeps it swinging :)

I use Yes to Cucumber leave-in as a moisturizer and seal with a mix of wheat germ oil, EVOO, and jojoba oil (light on the EVOO). As for weighing it down...it depends on how bone straight my hair is. If it still has a teeny bit of texture, it keeps swinging. If it's bone straight...:ohwell:

DiamondTeaira

I wear my hair out 7/7 days and put it in a clip when I get home. I am currently BSL so my retention is good. I stretch my relaxers to 6 months (still trying to decide if I truly want to transition).

I deep condition weekly and use a leave in.

I use heat 1x per week after washing (blow dry then flat iron ) with heat protectants.

I moisturize 2x out of the week and seal 1x per week. one or the other before wrapping my hair at night.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

SmileyNY

Depends. Right after a fresh texlax, I wear my hair out 3-4 days a week for about 2 months. For the remaining two months before my next touch up, I have a considerable amount of new growth. Therefore, I wear my hair out less often to avoid breakage from over manipulating the two different textures.

Pretty good. I got my first texlax in December 2010. I just got my first touch up last weekend on April 23. I gained some thickness and over 2 inches of length :grin:

I flat iron twice a year. I'm due for my next length check in June. Once in a while, if I'm in a hurry, I'll use a blow dryer. That rarely happens, though. I also like to sit under a dryer with a plastic cap when setting my henna. I do that about once every other month.

Do you moisturized and seal your ends daily?

Yes & my ends love me for it :yep: I sleep with my hair in 4 large braids and I moisturize and seal my ends every night and that works for me. I can definitely see a difference in my ends.

Aspire

Depends on the weather. In the spring and fall, my hair can handle the weather. Winter, its up or bunned, my ends are too fragile for the cold weather and the sweaters I wear to keep warm. In the summer, I will wear it down only if it is cool enough or if my ends are not brushing up against my skin (I have on a halter or tube top). I moisturize and seal no less than 2x per day, and relax 1/qtr. I had wonderful retention till I colored last fall, now I am working on undoing the damage.

Oh . . . I use heat, like almost never. Airdrying works for me. If I want curls I just roll it when it is dry. If I am really bored I MIGHT roller set. As I get closer to a touch up, I might use my hand dryer on warm or cool, but if I use heat 4x a year, its a lot.

Last edited:

sqzbly1908

I do it about 3-4 days of the week and most often if I have an event. My styles consists of roller/wraps - the night before I wash, I use Alterna Overnight Treatment and on the nights that I don't wash the next morning I use L'Oreal Overnight

My length retention has been great - and I don't use any heat, however, if I get my hair relaxed at the salon - I will let them flat iron but that is the only time

thebelleofelle

for all the ladies that we're their hair down a lot, is it straight? && if so, how to do moisturize/seal without messing up your straighter hair??

I'm dying to know

grow

thanks for this thread, @sunnieb!

i have had my hair in buns and have been stretching since december of last year, so as soon as i texlax it again (next month!), i plan to wear it out all summer!!!!:lol:

i'm gonna have to push myself to bun, but will try to bun 3-4 days a week just so i don't overmanipulate my freshly permed hair, but i DEFINITELY plan to enjoy :lick:my new length after this 5 month plus stretch!:yep:

when i wear it down, i moisturize and seal at night when i wrap it.

at times, i have been known to lightly oil again in the morning just to keep it flat and straight, depending on how much moisture it absorbed during the night.

i have not used heat since november 2009:nono: and want to make at least 2 years before going near a flat iron or blow dryer.:yep:

most of the time, (after perming) i can just leave it to air dry with just putting a scarf over the front to keep a smooth hairline.

i love kckt mixed with aloe vera juice and wheat germ oil to moisturize and it's a great detangler, too!

sealing with jbco helps keep my ends protected.

hhj ladies!

Last edited:

PinkPebbles

for all the ladies that we're their hair down a lot, is it straight? && if so, how to do moisturize/seal without messing up your straighter hair??

I'm dying to know

I use UBH Dew Spray Moisturizer at night before I wrap or pincurl my hair.

This spray is like a light mist that keeps my ends moisturize without weighing my hair down and messing up the style.

Also, I recently purchased pure Argan oil that works great for straight styles as well.

nickpoopie

Ok ladies, I need some ideas on how to wear my relaxed hair. I currently roller-wrap my hair weekly and wear it down daily but now I'm trying to lose weight. I'm 5'9 and I weigh 156, only want to lose 10lbs and would like to start running 1 mile every day. I know that I'll be sweating like crazy and will need to start co-washing at some point during the week so how can I wear my hair. I can't be rolling my hair and sitting under the dryer for an hour everytime I wash my hair. I'm thinking that I'll need to co-wash at least every other day.

What are some of your suggestions?

blackberry815

Ok ladies, I need some ideas on how to wear my relaxed hair. I currently roller-wrap my hair weekly and wear it down daily but now I'm trying to lose weight. I'm 5'9 and I weigh 156, only want to lose 10lbs and would like to start running 1 mile every day. I know that I'll be sweating like crazy and will need to start co-washing at some point during the week so how can I wear my hair. I can't be rolling my hair and sitting under the dryer for an hour everytime I wash my hair. I'm thinking that I'll need to co-wash at least every other day.

I'm having the same dilemma now too... Just started back at the gym... I started rollersetting twice a week but it was too much work.... Now I just wait it out with my dirty hair until wash day cuz I'm afraid of braidouts..

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400L

blackberry815

i wash Friday or sunday and work out monday wed friday...I can't smell my scalp. I may continue to wash twice a week but its hassle for the most part because I have to rollerset when i wash. so I just bun it til wash day.

sunnieb

I'm having the same dilemma now too... Just started back at the gym... I started rollersetting twice a week but it was too much work.... Now I just wait it out with my dirty hair until wash day cuz I'm afraid of braidouts..

nickpoopie and blackberry815 - Have you tried airdrying? Check out my fotki. I have an album entitled "How I airdry". It details how I airdry my hair and wear it down the next day. I think I was on the treadmill around 4x a week back then, so I was always working up a sweat and I would wash/cowash my hair after every workout. :yep:

LivinMyLifeLikeItsGolden

I have to wear my hair down for work. I work between 5-6 days a week, so its always down. I like to put it some weave at the back on my head to protect my hair from rubbing against my clothes and breaking.
My retention has been good so far. I was natural for the past 2 years and just relaxed it again in Feb.

blackberry815

@nickpoopie and @blackberry815 - Have you tried airdrying? Check out my fotki. I have an album entitled "How I airdry". It details how I airdry my hair and wear it down the next day. I think I was on the treadmill around 4x a week back then, so I was always working up a sweat and I would wash/cowash my hair after every workout. :yep:

Thanks for the suggestion! I will check it out later :)

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
I wear my hair out 7 days a week. I rollerset once a week and use a satin bonnet at night. I use headbands during the week and I sometimes do a twist-out, but my hair is out everyday. My current length is a few inches past SL and almost APL.

Mona123

Polls like this used to get me so excited because I felt like I had "permission" to wear my hair out if everyone else was doing it!

However, lately I've resorted to buns on a constant basis and the retention and condition of my hair is so much better. Not crazy about the buns but liking the results. I'm between a rock and a hard place over here! :drunk:

EbonyCPrincess

I thought I'd answered this thread already....guess not! :look:

I chose 5-6. I usually am in rollerwraps, braidouts, pincurls, flexirods - some kind of low mani style. I just came out of a weave and will do wigs from time to time, just depends on my mood. But when I am wearing my hair out, its usually about 5 days of the week.
Average. I definitely retained more length in my sew in than I have any other time of my HHJ. I'm ok with average retention though and enjoying it whenever I feel like it.
Direct heat - very rarely. Like 2-3 times per year.
Do you moisturize and seal your ends daily?
Yes. Always. Without fail.

Feel free to add any other info.
For the summer I plan to wear my hair braided beneath different wigs. I'm being lazy, I want to reach BSL like yesterday, I'll be working out and swimming. So braids and wigs are the cheapest best option. I'm anxious to see if my retention improves - although I'll be using a growth aid also.

NewHairWOWeave

I am relaxed so I try wear my hair out 5-6 days a week for about 2 months. On the weekends I don't go many places so i usually keep it wrapped up or in a bun when I do go out.

Decent. After taking out my weave and getting a fresh relaxer with a god cut I have seen alot of improvement. My hair did start to break around the edges because of slacking on my reggie. But it back to normal and moistuized.

Only when my hair needs to be bumped but I have a flat iron that has a temp setting. So I use the lowest setting.

Do you moisturized and seal your ends daily?
yes, it is a must and plus my scalp loves to drink all the oils. But my end i regularly moisturize 2X a day and seal them 1X a day

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Nice thread! There should be a loose hair/non protective style challenge/support group.