Relaxed=No Thermal Flat Irons

TrustMeLove

I read on "ubhpublications.com" that if your relaxed its absolutely dire that you do not use the stove flat irons on your hair, because its too damaging. But its ok to use the plug in flat irons.

I dont see anything wrong using the thermal flat irons, it seems the same to me as using a plug in flat iron to me except the heat is spread equally through out the iron.

Im in the process of researching the thermal marcel kits, because i like the feel of my hair after coming from the shop and I want to buy one, so this really concerns me.

What do you guys think about this?

northernbelle

With stove flat irons, it is hard to regulate the temperature. Additionally, the texture of the hair does not tend to be smooth and sikly.

northernbelle

adrienne0914

i kind of agree with this because it's almost impossible to regulate the temperature. i used to use the stove and marcels to do my hair many years ago. i would occasionally have mishaps because of this. i really love my Hai ceramic flat iron. even if i use it on high, i've NEVER burned my hair...

mermaid

I actually prefer the marcels- I have a few but my marcel stove finally died, so I jumped on the ceramic iron bandwagon rather than using the stovetop, but I'm not as impressed- it takes longer to get the desired effect, so to me it seems I am using just as much heat because I am using the cermaic twice as long. My hair gets much smoother and stragihter with the marcels HOWEVER it is very hard to regulate the heat, even using the white paper trick I still have sizzled off a little bit o' hair!! Plus, the ceramics are more convenient; meaning as long as you have an electric plug, you're good to go. With the marcels, even with it's stove, you still need to find somewhere that can handle this 1000 degree appliance, as well as room to handle that iron.
Most of the ceramics I think reach a regulated heat of around 220-50, the marcels can get around 300+ and even as hot as the stove.
So, as I said- personally I prefer the marcels I feel they do a nicer, smoother press but as far as the ceramics; they are safer.
Oh, my hair is not relaxed, though. It's 100% natural and I know this was directed towards relaxed heads...

TrustMeLove

I went to Sallys to seee which ceramic and thermal irons they had and they had zero thermals. They said the company was discontinue the line. So I picked up a helen of troy ceramic flat iron, caruso hair setter, and a blow dryer.

What do you guys think o helen of troy ceramic flat irons?

Donda

I've never tired ceramic irons, although I would like to someday. But I do know you will not regret getting the Caruso Hair Setter, if I don't put my hair in Bantu Knots at night I simply use the Caruso for 20 min(curl and set) in the morning and whola nice curls full of body.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I would think that the marcel irons would get too hot for relaxed hair. Relaxed hair is already straight--piping hot irons aren't necessary, IMO. The "just stepped out of the salon" look has more to do with technique than anything else. My stylist could do things with a regular Solano blow dryer and a Gold n Hot curling iron that I could never duplicate at home.

TrustMeLove

Yea that makes alot of sense sassy, because Just looking how they curl certain pieces makes all the difference in the hair style. Another I notice is that they don't load the hair down with products before curling, i believe thats the reason it has that bouncy light as a feather flow.

I could be wrong. But, when I do my hair it just looks pretty thick and it still moves..but not feather like.

Please excuse my butchering of standard english.

-Faye