Relaxer for 4 a/b hair

motherx2esq

I am currently using ORS no-lye relaxer and the last couple times it did not get me bone straight. I want to be bone straight. Are there any suggestions on relaxer type or a better smoothing technique to get bone straight? TIA!

Artemis

Hi! I just checked out your Fotki...are you absolutely set on using a no-lye? I think a lye relaxer would get you straighter. Mizani, Design Essentials, Affirm, and ORS Olive Oil Lye are some popular ones around here. You should do a search on lye vs. no-lye.

HTH :D

ETA: Your rollersets are cute :)

Last edited:

gymfreak336

Hi! I just checked out your Fotki...are you absolutely set on using a no-lye? I think a lye relaxer would get you straighter. Mizani, Design Essentials, Affirm, and ORS Olive Oil Lye are some popular ones around here. You should do a search on lye vs. no-lye.

I will agree. For some people, no lye doesn't work as well.

lisana

I'm 4b with a sprinkle of 4a. I use ORS reg no-lye and it gets me bone straight. I once coated my the entire length of hair, including ng with SE heat spray because of the silk protection for relaxing. My NG did not get bone straight. This time around I had nothing on my ng, I applied the relaxer and smooth, a total of 15 minutes, beginning to end. I smooth with my fingers, top of hair and bottom.

motherx2esq

No, I'm not set on using no lye only. I just haven't used a lye relaxer in years. Maybe I will look into switching. Research first! lol Thanks!

I try with my rollersets! :lachen:

motherx2esq

I'm 4b with a sprinkle of 4a. I use ORS reg no-lye and it gets me bone straight. I once coated my the entire length of hair, including ng with SE heat spray because of the silk protection for relaxing. My NG did not get bone straight. This time around I had nothing on my ng, I applied the relaxer and smooth, a total of 15 minutes, beginning to end. I smooth with my fingers, top of hair and bottom.

Thanks, this could be helpful too!

Artemis

Also, try applying the relaxer more generously to the new growth--this is the time you don't have to be stingy with product :grin:

lisana

Also, try applying the relaxer more generously to the new growth--this is the time you don't have to be stingy with product :grin:

this is a good point, adequate coverage does make a difference. I have fine hair/medium density and I use two boxes of perm (well, more like 1.5) and yes, I only add it to the ng. I just don't see how one is enough. the more you have on the hair, the easier it straightens.

neonbright

I hate ORS relaxers, both my mom and I were underprocesed and had to get correctives. I always use no-lyes with no problems until I tried that one. Currently my stylist is using Nu Balance Shea Butter no lye relaxer and my hair loves it.:grin: