***Relaxer on previously flat ironed hair***

zara

I was recalling a thread on 'Ateyaa's swang'. A couple of people mentioned that she never seems to have new growth and I realised that it is probably because her roots had been flat ironed a couple of days before her relaxer therfore her NG is not visible. This is not a thread about Ateyaa(although I love her), I just wanted to know how relaxing previously flat ironed affects your hair. Does it come out straighter/smoother? Is it damaging?

Any theories?

Solitude

Don't most people with relaxed hair relax new growth that is already straight?? I wear my hair straight all the time, so yes when I go to relax my NG is already pretty straight, but the texture is different still so the stylist can tell what is NG and what hair is previously relaxed. It's not damaging.

ETA: Of course, she has NG as well, but she trims often, which is why her hair isn't longer (IMO). Her goal seems to be healthy hair, not necessarily long hair.

Also, folks are just reaching to find something wrong with her regimen. I tried the full thing yesterday w/ the same products, just a different blowdryer & flat iron. My hair came out bouncy & incredibly soft. I couldn't believe it! I usually rollerset, but I will follow her regi when I flat iron.

zara

Don't most people with relaxed hair relax new growth that is already straight?? I wear my hair straight all the time, so yes when I go to relax my NG is already pretty straight, but the texture is different still so the stylist can tell what is NG and what hair is previously relaxed. It's not damaging.

Also, folks are just reaching to find something wrong with her regimen. I tried the full thing yesterday w/ the same products, just a different blowdryer & flat iron. My hair came out bouncy & incredibly soft. I couldn't believe it! I usually rollerset, but I will follow her regi when I flat iron.

Yes some people do hate on her, I think she's great and I hope this thread will not focus on that. Good to know your her regimen is working for you! I actually try not to straighten my hair just before my relaxer so I can see my NG, I might have to change that up. Thanks for the response.

Dposh167

I never flat iron my hair before a relaxer b.c. i want my stylist to be able to SEE where the ng and the relaxed hair starts and ends. However, there were a couple of times pre-lhcf, i relaxed with my ng straight (or 95% straight)...and i don't really recall any difference in the result

gymfreak336

For people with very coarse and low porosity hair, lightly flatironing the newgrowth before relaxing is a great way to better help the hair accept the chemical.

zara

For people with very coarse and low porosity hair, lightly flatironing the newgrowth before relaxing is a great way to better help the hair accept the chemical.

Thanks! This might be the answer for me. I am always underprocessed.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I never flat iron my hair before a relaxer b.c. i want my stylist to be able to SEE where the ng and the relaxed hair starts and ends.

Same here. Why risk overlapping when you don't have to?

Heat breaks the bonds of the hair and so does relaxing, flat ironing before a relaxer does not seem like a good idea, especially considering the line of demarcation is the weakest point of the hair.

zara

For those who respond can you also mention if you use heat regularly, and at which point you personally stop using heat prior to a relaxer(1 week, 3 days, e.t.c.) TIA.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I stretch about 15 weeks and rmaintain my hair with rollersets. I usually don't put any heat in my hair a week prior to relaxing. By that time I'm usually bunning and using the scarf method to keep my edges flat.

Denise11

I also like Ateyaa and I think she's funny too. Her hair is beautiful. She takes care of her hair but she doesn't get too serious about it. A lot of people are having a lot of success with her regimen. I've always had a decent amount of hair (APL or longer) without doing too much to it. I think the key is not taking everything way too serious. she is having fun with it.

gymfreak336

Same here. Why risk overlapping when you don't have to?

Heat breaks the bonds of the hair and so does relaxing, flat ironing before a relaxer does not seem like a good idea, especially considering the line of demarcation is the weakest point of the hair.

Heat mainly effects the hydrogen bonds first. That is why I said for coarse and low porosity hair, the threshold for damage is different for them than other people, like myself with fine hair, given the nature of their cuticle. Sometimes, light heat can be what they need to open the cuticle up some so that the chemical can be accepted.