Relaxer Preparation

n2this

I have fine thin hair so I usually use a kiddie relaxer on my hair. I can usually go 4-6 months between relaxers. Right now, I am trying to achieve shoulder length hair & I want to make sure that I do good & correct things to & for it. I am finding that keeping it moisturized is a major key for me. Is there anything that I should do before applying my next relaxer? Are there any relaxer recommendations anyone can make for fine, thin hair? In about a month after I relax it, I want to color and/or highlight it. I would really appreciate any help anyone can give.

Victorian

old head
Welcome!

I have fine, thin hair and I like Soft and Beautiful Botanicals relaxer (it's a no-lye relaxer). Whenever I'm going to be getting a relaxer, I'm very careful about not messing with my hair to avoid irritating the scalp. My scalp is pretty sensitive. Thus far, I haven't gotten any burns at all with the Botanicals relaxer, and it does a great job at straightening without much "tingling" at all during the process.
Make sure you apply a protectant (some comes in the box but it's usually only enough to go around the edges). You can use some vaseline to do your scalp and it will work just fine.

What is your current length and regimen? Knowing these things might make it easier for others to offer assistance.

Welcome, again, to the board. I'm sure you'll find lots of good info here.

aqualung

Welcome! I'm fine haired too. For touchups at home, PCJ lye is mild enough. My stylist uses Affirm mild or regular when I go to the salon.

It helps me to section my hair before I start. I underprocessed last touchup because I didn't note how long my stylist applies the relaxer. Search the board for more detailed threads about relaxer tips.

I wouldn't color or highlight if I were you. Color complications could set you back.

n2this

Thank you so very much for your help. I am determined to start this new year off with knowledge & end it with success! Thank you again.

Babygurl

My aunt has extremely fine hair and she was tricked into using a "kiddie" relaxer when in actuality a kiddie relaxer is the same as a regular mild relaxer. Check the ingredients. So now she uses a mild no-lye and her hair has never looked better.