Relaxer Stretch

How far are you stretching your relaxers?

• 7 weeks and under

Votes: 51 4.5%
  • 8-9 weeks

Votes: 212 18.9%
  • 10-11 weeks

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • 12-14 weeks

Votes: 350 31.2%
  • 15-17 weeks

Votes: 104 9.3%
  • 18 weeks and over

Votes: 231 20.6%

• Total voters

MomofThreeBoys

I'm curious to see how far everyone is stretching their relaxers. I'm at week 9 and am stretching for the first time without braids. So far so good. Only thing is I can't keep my hands out of my new growth:D

Also, please share the one thing you do or product you use that assists in the stretching.

Thanks in advance.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
LoL I stretched my relaxer for the first time to 9 weeks. I would have waited longer but school is about to start and I was lookin nappy-headed :lol: .The next time around I am going to try for 10-11 weeks.

KAddy

I am 12 weeks and 1 day post relaxer.

Before I could only go 10 weeks and then I would experience breakage. Since I found Sta Sof Fro I am

MonaLisa

Once I learned about stretching relaxers on this board...I made it to 14 weeks, ending on Dec. 31st, 2004 for the first time without braids or a weave.

This doesn't work for all, but it worked for me - The Coconut & Lime mixture (check hair recipe thread).

Also the use of World of Curls, Elasta QP Mango Butter, Woojee Cream.
Now I know it can be done.

My next one will probably be at 11-12 weeks though as I have some things to attend around that time.

candibaby

I will be 12wks post tomorrow, and will also be getting a touch up tomorrow.
I go longer when I wear braids.
The longest I've gone is 21wks.
Sta Sof Fro is what saves me, not only does it moisturize my new growth, but it makes it more combable so that I can easily slick it back into a bun/other hair style.

DatJerseyDyme

The longest was 17 weeks (done twice) I'll never do this again. I had so much newgrowth it was ridiculous! It was coiling around itself even though I wash and thouroughly detangled twice a week without fail. It was painful to get it relaxed. I now wait 8-12 weeks and stretch by washing/conditioning/detangling more often, not fighting my texture by wearing curly styles, or using heat (a la a flat iron) for styling when all else fails.

nolechik

FSU Alumni/Grad Student
The longest I've gone was 13 weeks in the past, but I that was pre-LHCF. I'm now @ week 12 post & I'm thinking of going at least 16 weeks or longer. I usually co wash on Weds. & poo/co/deep co on Saturdays. Like some others, Sta Sof Fro has helped combat the thick new growth as well!!!

BAILEYSCREAM

natalied said:
I'm curious to see how far everyone is stretching their relaxers. I'm at week 9 and am stretching for the first time without braids. So far so good. Only thing is I can't keep my hands out of my new growth:D

Also, please share the one thing you do or product you use that assists in the stretching.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, I usually stretch 8-9 weeks. This last time I overstretched to 19 weeks with braids in and I had a lot of breakage where my hair is coarsest.

From now on I will be going about 8-9 weeks. I have longer hair on the right hand side and shorter hair on the left now as a result but it's not so bad as I initially thought when I saw all the hair that broke off at the ends.:eek: I was so mad that I kept the braids in so long. However, I had lots of thick new growth so I'm still in the same postion as I was before the breakage, thank goodness.:)

sylver2

I am 12 Weeks Post relaxer. No protective styles, no buns, no braids.
Been wearing it out every single day.
Stretching for 24 weeks.

sweetpeadst

I'm currently 12 weeks and 3 days. I am currently in micros and plan to get my edges redone Feb. 1 and intend to get my my perm March 1st pray for me!!:D

BAILEYSCREAM

sylver2 said:
I am 12 Weeks Post relaxer. No protective styles, no buns, no braids.
Been wearing it out every single day.
Stretching for 24 weeks.

I probably wouldn't have had any breakage if I didn't leave my braids in so long. My hair (chemically processed) felt really dry when I took the braids off.

To maintain my hair, I usually shampoo and condition twice a week to keep the hair soft and then I wear it in a wet bun so it dries straight(ish).

So Sylver2, how do you maintain the new growth when you stretch for so long?
Do you flat iron, roller wrap? I'm curious.

SherryLove

i am at 21 weeks now!!!!i will relax my hair in 3 more weeks... that would 24 weeks between touch ups....!!!!!

sylver2

BAILEYSCREAM said:
So Sylver2, how do you maintain the new growth when you stretch for so long?
Do you flat iron, roller wrap? I'm curious.

I ususlly wrap my hair every night but I can't now with all this new growth. so I can't get that bone straight look I love so much. I have to wear it wavy.
I have been using Rusk Sensories smoother leave in conditioner, concentraing on new growth and ends.
Then I put on a whole lot of John Frieda frizz ease Xtra strength serum throughout.
Then I blow dry straight with my round brush.
I section off hair and then put in NTM silky touch leave in (I use a lot, especially on new growth). and twist into 6 bantu knots.
I tie a satin scarf real tight. Go to bed. Take out knots next day and tie the satin scarf back on head tight. Wash up etc etc, take off scarf, new growth flat and hair is silky soft.
I alternate between that and airdrying hair, then twisting into knots which I got from Southerngirl.
So far both are working very well.

Last edited:

Aerie17

I got a touch up today after 10 weeks. I was going to go for twelve, but have an important event coming up and want my hair to look it's best. I had not only refrained from relaxing, but coloring as well (except for that Beautiful Browns, which for my hair may as well have been Kool-Aid and watered down Kool-Aid at that) and girls', it wasn't pretty. I did find it to be easier than I thought and texturewise it didn't look half-bad. The color thing though was tough. I resorted to conditoner washing with a cheapie product, followed by GPB and Humecto. Humecto kept my hair soft for several days at a time with the comb gliding through even the new growth. My leave-ins are Black and Sassy Wrap Lotion, Keracare Silken Seal and Kemy Oyl. I mix these in my palm and apply to my hair. Heavy on the Black and Sassy, light on the other two. I wrap it and dry naturally, or if on a weeknight, 30 minutes under the dryer. My hair is worn in a clip or ponytail. Generally, I do not wash more than once a week, but once week 8 is hit, we are up to twice a week at least, to keep that comb gliding through.

dreemssold

Stretching until week 12 all the time now. My next touch up is February 16. My new growth is like a forest right now, but oh well...I can make it a few more weeks :).

skegeesmb

I'm going for 9 months. So far I have a little over 3. I know I can make it to 7, I want to transition. But I don't want to set it in stone in case I retexturize. I'll just keep on going and see how far I get.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
I recently did my touch up on the 10 after stretching my relaxer from October 04 to January 05. I've gained at least 1 1/2 to 2" of new growth during the course of time. My hair grows fast like the dickens. LOL

All I did is bunning during the day, and moisturizing my ends after washing or misting my hair at night. I'm not going to do my touch up until sometime in March. Products used: Gel curl activator, Coconut Oil, my homemade grease, and Profectiv Healthy Ends, as well as my diluted peppermint oil.

Leshia

skegeesmb said:
I'm going for 9 months. So far I have a little over 3. I know I can make it to 7, I want to transition. But I don't want to set it in stone in case I retexturize. I'll just keep on going and see how far I get.

I've got to smile when i see your pic now. you used to SWEAR you'd never get to bra clasp...BRAVO!

Armyqt

SherryLove said:
i am at 21 weeks now!!!!i will relax my hair in 3 more weeks... that would 24 weeks between touch ups....!!!!!

WOW! How are you maintaining your hair and what styles are you wearing? I'm usually go 16 weeks each time. I've been @ 18 once, but it was just too, too much for me. I wish I could go 6 months with a relaxer and no breakage. Maybe 1 day.

Mochalolita

I've been an entire year without getting a relaxer before, but I was getting the newgrowth pressed. I usually give myself touch-ups every 10-12 weeks, but lately, the new growth has been a little thicker than usual, and it's closer to 10. I'm thinking this is a good sign? Who knows...in general, though, I try to go as long as I can, but the second I sense breakage that extra moisture isn't helping, I go ahead and retouch :)

Hugs,
Crys

kombov_dymond

Armyqt said:
WOW! How are you maintaining your hair and what styles are you wearing? I'm usually go 16 weeks each time. I've been @ 18 once, but it was just too, too much for me. I wish I could go 6 months with a relaxer and no breakage. Maybe 1 day.

Yes, SherryL, how do you do it?

SherryLove

kombov_dymond said:
Yes, SherryL, how do you do it?

I use AO GPB along with the Jojoba&aloe conditioner mixed with oil every time i deep condition, and it softens my new growth like nobody's business....i keep my hair and scalp oiled twice a week as i am getting more new growth.....i also do not comb my hair often...,,all of this, reallly minimizes breakage for me...my hair will probably look an inch and a half longer when i finally get it relaxed....LOL