Stretchers - How do you do it ?

My last stretch was 9 weeks. I can't seem to get past that, without tangles messes and breakage. To the STRETCHING EXPERTS, do you have any tips you can share ?

Butterfly08

I know it's an encyclopedia, but you need to read this 10,000 post thread on stretching. I'll add a link and bump it for you. :yep:

I am at 19 weeks right now and it's a challenge!!! :blush: I'm getting it relaxed next Saturday so my routine is a little different than throughout the stretch. Last night I airdried my hair. Today I am detangling, blow drying and flat ironing. I don't want her to have to fight with my new growth which may cause my scalp to burn.

For the first 8 weeks or so I cowash several times a week and wet bun. I may throw in a rollerset every 10 days or so, but I like to bun at that time because my roots are flat and don't need a lot of attention.

Week 9 - 15 I still wet bun but I have to tie my roots down tightly with a scarf. I can still rollerset, but after the rollers come out I will either blow out the roots (just in the front) or slick my hair back and use a scarf on my edges.

Week 16+ is when the battle begins. :armyhat: A scarf is simply not an option, I MUST tie down my roots or I will have an afro. :afro: I also have to start to introduce direct heat by blowing out my roots and flat ironing them. I do this once a week. I can no longer detangle while my hair is wet, it mats up and is difficult. I have to let it airdry, then prop my feet upm watch my favorite show and detangle slowly and carefully.

HTH and I'll find that thread for you. It'll tell you everything you need to know. :yep:

Highly Favored8

Well I just finished a 26 week stretch.
Will not be doing that again for a long time unless I go natural all the way.

Why b/c this past relaxer I had so much new growth about 1/4 of my hair however, I shedded a lot =/. So I just decided to go back to washing my hair every 2 weeks and bunning styles.

My next relaxer will be at 13 weeks post.

I will be stretching 12-18 weeks at a time.

Just leave the new growth alone and low manipulation.

Butterfly08

Here's the thread. I was exaggerating. There are only 888 posts. :wink2:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=118195

I agree with Highly Favored - the further you get into your stretch, low manipulation helps. Also keep your line of demarcation moisturized, deep condition weekly (I am bad about that:look:) and do a protein treatment every 2 - 4 weeks. Cowashing helps to keep away the shedding for me. :up:

Highly Favored8

Here's the thread. I was exaggerating. There are only 888 posts. :wink2:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=118195

I agree with Highly Favored - the further you get into your stretch, low manipulation helps. Also keep your line of demarcation moisturized, deep condition weekly (I am bad about that:look:) and do a protein treatment every 2 - 4 weeks. Cowashing helps to keep away the shedding for me. :up:

Yes this is true about the demarcation line. I had lots of new growth however, I shedded so much:nono:. I learned my lesson.:yep:

acapnleo

I'm not an expert:rolleyes: but, i am 10 months post (transitioning), but nonetheless, cowashing... has been the answer for me daily, less i was ponybunnin'... recently, i'd been craving straight hair, so I pressed two days ago, which i'd not done in YEARS... anyway... this worked great!:yep: hope that helps

Thank you Butterfly.

I know it's an encyclopedia, but you need to read this 10,000 post thread on stretching. I'll add a link and bump it for you. :yep:

I am at 19 weeks right now and it's a challenge!!! :blush: I'm getting it relaxed next Saturday so my routine is a little different than throughout the stretch. Last night I airdried my hair. Today I am detangling, blow drying and flat ironing. I don't want her to have to fight with my new growth which may cause my scalp to burn.

For the first 8 weeks or so I cowash several times a week and wet bun. I may throw in a rollerset every 10 days or so, but I like to bun at that time because my roots are flat and don't need a lot of attention.

Week 9 - 15 I still wet bun but I have to tie my roots down tightly with a scarf. I can still rollerset, but after the rollers come out I will either blow out the roots (just in the front) or slick my hair back and use a scarf on my edges.

Week 16+ is when the battle begins. :armyhat: A scarf is simply not an option, I MUST tie down my roots or I will have an afro. :afro: I also have to start to introduce direct heat by blowing out my roots and flat ironing them. I do this once a week. I can no longer detangle while my hair is wet, it mats up and is difficult. I have to let it airdry, then prop my feet upm watch my favorite show and detangle slowly and carefully.

HTH and I'll find that thread for you. It'll tell you everything you need to know. :yep:

Butterfly08

I'm not an expert:rolleyes: but, i am 10 months post (transitioning), but nonetheless, cowashing... has been the answer for me daily, less i was ponybunnin'... recently, i'd been craving straight hair, so I pressed two days ago, which i'd not done in YEARS... anyway... this worked great!:yep: hope that helps

C I told y'all - cowashing is the truth! :up:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Cowashing, dcing, low manipulation, and bunning are all lifesavers for me. I stretched 17.5 last time and going for 17 this time. I'm 11 wks post now.

Lexsmarie

Bi-weekly Henna, co-washing, HE Pin Straight Con and bunning helped me tremendously. Especially Henna! I am currently 18 weeks post and I feel I can go another 18 weeks.:grin:

Tamrin

unapologetic
Listen to the ladies. Im almost 8 months 3 weeks. CO washing is the main thing. How you co wash also makes a big difference. Don't ruffle up the hair I stroke my hair as the water is going down and rub my scalp in the the same motion. This way detangling is less of a hassle. Herbal Essence conditioners do provide lots of slip. Find the ones you like. Bunning, Twist or box braids help a lot of protective style. A good moisturizer is also keep. Concentrate on the line of demarcation and ends.

joytimes10

I can't really add to what's been said, since I'm dealing with trying to stop some breakage. Everytime I think about relaxing, I put it off for another week. I am super low manipulation right now. Comb 1x/ wk in shower with lots of condish. Buns and braid outs are my only style choices b/c i hate heat (takes to long and i always burn myself, and my hair is spoiled. It revolts and gets dry when i apply direct heat:nono:) So, I don't expect to be swinging and have pin straight hair during a stretch. Co-washing is your friend. I haven't used poo in over a month(baking soda and warm water gets rid on any build up. With a good condish your new growth will behave. Right now I'm loving Nature's gate Jojoba, AO HSR, and Kenra MC for DCing. HTH

LaLaa

I have stretched for 7 months my last stretch and i found that wigs worked tremendously . But washing was a nightmare! Now i got a great shampoo that works for me greatly! Creme of Nature Shampoo (red Label). DC with Silk Elements Mega Cholesterol weekly, I rotate ORS replenishing pak with that. I moisturize with S-curl (but i just found out my hair likes WN and my ends feel so moisturized) and seal with Evoo or JBCO. I also apply JBCO to my scalp. Thats all i do. I shampoo and DC weekly and Moisturize and seal nightly (baggy full head). I have to keep it simple cause thats what works best for me.