relaxer v's natural check this out

eve777

i found this discussion on you tube and found it really interesting. it was a real inspiration as i was getn a bit frustrated with my natural hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsR-2t5TexM

click on this link above and comment on what you think.

peace and love and healthy long hair to you all

Last edited:

eve777

its true what their saying on here becus if you think about the amount of chemicals that we used in and on our body and if you add up all the relaxers we have done or are still doing then long term that can not be gud for your hair.since ive gone natural although im a the beginning of my journey, my hair is in the best condition ever and i didnt even know my hair cud look so silky and soft when natural. thought it wud be dry and crusty and knotty but its completely the opposite. if we all decided to go natural it wud be more socially accepted and you wouldnt think twice to going natural but alot of people have stereotypes for natural women.so come on ladies let alllll go natural and change the worlds view of afro hair and boycott the stereotypes, llets stop harming our hair cus its more accepted whilst their comfortable we are getn damaged,lets grow in to big afro grannys....what do you think?:lol:

rabs77

Interesting video. I am confused about one thing the hair stylist wearing the white shirt said. She said if you have been relaxing for years, and you decide to go natural, the chemical would have messed up your (grade or grain) of hair...(not sure what she is actually saying). I dont think that is true. I can understand that the transitioning hair may be different (what you guys call scab hair). But that for the rest of your life your hair is different because of the relaxer? Not buying it.

Divine Inspiration

rabs77 said:
Interesting video. I am confused about one thing the hair stylist wearing the white shirt said. She said if you have been relaxing for years, and you decide to go natural, the chemical would have messed up your (grade or grain) of hair...(not sure what she is actually saying). I dont think that is true. I can understand that the transitioning hair may be different (what you guys call scab hair). But that for the rest of your life your hair is different because of the relaxer? Not buying it.

I agree. There were a few other things that were said that I didn't agree with either, but I like the general idea of discussing relaxed vs. natural hair. I would have liked to hear from a long haired relaxed woman though because I think the natural lady was attributing short hair to relaxers when this board is evidence that that's not true.

dillard

rabs77 said:

yeah, that doesn't make any sense. :perplexed

good discussion though.

LynnieB

Divine Inspiration said:
I agree. There were a few other things that were said that I didn't agree with either, but I like the general idea of discussing relaxed vs. natural hair. I would have liked to hear from a long haired relaxed woman though because I think the natural lady was attributing short hair to relaxers when this board is evidence that that's not true.

but you gotta remember that, unfortunately, the women on this board are an (not the [no sweeping generalizations from me folks) exception.

and, as i go about my business in the streets of my neck of the woods, what i see are (more often than not) females with some jacked up arse looking permed hair that could use some serious relaxer intervention :perplexed:ohwell:

i've also seen far too many jacked up little kids hair too..........poor babies.

PinkSkates

Originally posted by LynnieB
but you gotta remember that, unfortunately, the women on this board are an (not the [no sweeping generalizations from me folks) exception.

and, as i go about my business in the streets of my neck of the woods, what i see are (more often than not) females with some jacked up arse looking permed hair that could use some serious relaxer intervention :perplexed:ohwell:

i've also seen far too many jacked up little kids hair too..........poor babies.

Excellent point. The long haired, relaxed ladies on this forum are definitely the exception and not the rule!

Hair Iam

I only hope the next generation has better products if they so chose to perm.
Has any one ever researched the ingredients in a perm?:ohwell:

Crissi

I thought that relaxers could change the grade/grain of hair if the follicules (sp) have been severly damaged. I recall my auntie saying that when she relaxed and then went backt o being natural til this day her hair has never being the same as it was before she relaxed...i know thats not the case for everyone but it is the case for my auntie

eve777

im not willing to take the chance as i believe it all depends on the individuals hair durability.now mine for instance can not sustain chemicals, and lets face it they are chemicals, in my hair forlong periods of time without getn damaged.its just not for everyone and lots of ladies think they have no option and just end up with bad hair.i dont want to be bald in my old age...and even alot of the celebraties with loads of money,who cud afford prestige hair treatment end up with wigs,extensions or whatever, because they know their hair would not be able to stand the pace. so every man to themselves, if you know you hair can take it then your fortunate,lets hope,but if you know your hair is crying out STOP then its time to listen to your hair. i did and its in the best condition ever.