Relaxing helps with retaining length

Does Relaxing your hair help with retaining your length?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kelkel

Hey ladies..... I was just wondering if any of you on the board have found this to be true? I have been natural now for over 7 years, I started really focusing on hair care at the end of 2007.

although I have been sticking with my regimen .... low manipulation, protective styles, no heat..... my hair still doesn't seem to retain any length.... my ends are always splitting and more than anyhing I have those little knots on every single strand of my hair....

I was planning on doing progress pics for dec but I am too embarassed due to the state of my ends:sad:.... my sister says just cut them, which I will do.... but everytime I cut them the knots just keep coming back.....

I am thinkin maybe its due to wearing my 4a/b natural .... maybe I should relax?

So my question is...... have any of you ladies gone from natural to relaxed and experienced more growth retention?

TIA...

Neith

Hey ladies..... I was just wondering if any of you on the board have found this to be true? I have been natural now for over 7 years, I started really focusing on hair care at the end of 2007.

although I have been sticking with my regimen .... low manipulation, protective styles, no heat..... my hair still doesn't seem to retain any length.... my ends are always splitting and more than anyhing I have those little knots on every single strand of my hair....

I was planning on doing progress pics for dec but I am too embarassed due to the state of my ends:sad:.... my sister says just cut them, which I will do.... but everytime I cut them the knots just keep coming back.....

I am thinkin maybe its due to wearing my 4a/b natural .... maybe I should relax?

So my question is...... have any of you ladies gone from natural to relaxed and experienced more growth retention?

TIA...

Relaxers are not good for your hair.

Of course there are people who have EXTREMELY healthy hair with relaxers, but a relaxer gives no benefits to the health of your hair. People with very healthy relaxed hair usually have excellent hair practices and apply the relaxer correctly.

With that said, some people may have an easier time handling their relaxed hair, so they retain more length. It isn't as hard to detangle and a lot of the time is easier to achieve certain styles with. You don't have to use high heat on it to get it looking nice. Also, straight hair appears to be longer than kinky/curly hair of the same length. You can see more of your length and it's much easier to see progress with straight hair because there isn't much of a shrinkage factor (except when your roots come in, but that's really minimal compared to a full head of natural hair)

So... if you personally think that a relaxer may help your hair, just be aware of the pros and cons. Your hair probably will need more protein and will respond differently to some products/techniques. It may be more fragile than your natural hair...

One thing, I don't recommend you getting a relaxer on top of damaged/splitting hair. That may make things worse. I'd only apply a relaxer to healthy hair.

Last edited:

Encore

i dont believe it matters whether you are relaxed or natural its the way you CARE for your hair that makes it retain its length.

I see WL relaxed and WL naturals and if there is one thing they have in common is how they nurture and protect their strands. Your hair cant speak in words but it will tell you when it need moisture, protein or just a plane old break!...you just gotta listen to it :)

kelkel

actually I don't know what is good for my hair anymore.... I thought with being natural, hardly using any heat, and doing protective styles would do me good ....but my ends look crazy as if I have been flat ironing it on 450 with a gold n hot everyday.....

I know relaxing is not necessarily the best....but I would like to know if there is anyone out there that after relaxing found that along with their regimen retained their growth more so than when they were natural?

oh yeah as far as my reg..... I co-wash 1-2 a week..... I moisturize with africa's best kids organic shea butter..... I put my qhemets burdock root butter creme on my ends....I seal with coconut oil..... I am now using mega tek on my scalp only......the rest of my hair is fine but my ends are hard to deal with..... when in cornrolls the ends tend to curl and coil around themselves....hopefully that makes sense....lol

Last edited:

Encore

if your hair is splitting...its time to S&D or a trim is in order
If its knotting...your not detangling properly ( get some of the best Conditioner and some EVOO let it sit in for a while and comb it out gently under running water in the shower)

dont give up :)

Encore

actually I don't know what is good for my hair anymore.... I thought with being natural, hardly using any heat, and doing protective styles would do me good ....but my ends look crazy as if I have been flat ironing it on 450 with a gold n hot everyday.....

I know relaxing is not necessarily the best....but I would like to know if there is anyone out there that after relaxing found that along with their regimen retained their growth more so than when they were natural?

i think you should fix the problem before you decide to relax because if not most likely that problem will multiply. Once that hair is relaxed theres no going back and relaxed hair comes with its own set of issues

dont fret!!:drunk:

im 10 weeks post and my roots are about 3 inches and they keep knotting and my hair is breaking because i have to detangle it so much, i was considering relaxing this month even tho i was trying to go till May. I feel your pain:cry:

luckiestdestiny

Totally think you should fix the problem first but I kinda know what you mean. My hair is 4a and the longer it is, the more I keep it straight, the less I have problems with tangling, manipulation, and I have minimal breakage and thus retain. I also notice when I braid it up I have the same thing happen too, because there's little to no manipulation.

BillsBackerz67

Totally think you should fix the problem first but I kinda know what you mean. My hair is 4a and the longer it is, the more I keep it straight, the less I have problems with tangling, manipulation, and I have minimal breakage and thus retain. I also notice when I braid it up I have the same thing happen too, because there's little to no manipulation.
same here...I began rollersetting. I still have a lot of bad ends from wearing my hair curly all the time but since then no new knots or splits have formed. My last resort would have been a relaxer if rollersetting didnt work.

AtlantaJJ

if your hair is splitting...its time to S&D or a trim is in order
If its knotting...your not detangling properly ( get some of the best Conditioner and some EVOO let it sit in for a while and comb it out gently under running water in the shower)

dont give up :)
Detangling under the shower really helps me! I have found I need mild to moderate protein on my end to help retain length on my natural hair as well.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I wouldn't say relaxers help with retaining length.

Relaxers are damaging to the hair just like hair colors or excessive heat...when you choose to use a relaxer (or any other chemical) you have to be even more diligent and careful with your hair.

My answer is No.

Casarela

Hi there,

In my opinion when I was texlaxed I had less issues regarding my ends. I think you should try fixing the problem either by rollersetting or finding another way to do so. However, I do recall when I was texlaxed I had no issues at all for detangling and I had no trouble with my ends. All I was doing is Cowash, detangle in the shower , hop ou of the shower and add a light leave in to my hair puut it in a loose bun and my hair was thriving.

Its much more difficult for me to deal with the ends as im natural those single knots that I have are really bothering me which is why I decided that I should do S&D More often and ill maybe try rollersetting to see if that can help.

People are probably trying to figure out if thats the easiest way than why not texlax , its simply because I KNOW FOR A FACT, that once it grows past my shoulders in its curly state it will be less of a burden to detangle and I wont be dealing with these issues as the curls will stretch with the weight. My hair stretched is past the shoulders at the nape and I have layers so im at a critical step when unstretched. Therefore, I suck it in, focus on my ends, moisturize, moisturize .

Also, I dont want to relax because I dont want to be dependant from chemicals and for Health reasons as well Id rather NOT use a perm.

Before taking any decision like Neith said evaluate the Pros and Cons and follow what fits your boat.

Solitude

If you want to relax, RELAX!!!!!

No one is at your house doing your hair for you. Folks can preach against relaxers all day and all night. I've been relaxed for over 10 years and have had absolutely no adverse effects from relaxing. Yes, it may help retain length because you are not struggling to detangle or having to use a lot of heat to straighten. A lot of natural styles require tension/ manipulation/ and pulling the hair back whereas relaxed styles are more versatile. Do what works for you.

No one is at your house doing your hair for you. Folks can preach against relaxers all day and all night. I've been relaxed for over 10 years and have had absolutely no adverse effects from relaxing. Yes, it may help retain length because you are not struggling to detangle or having to use a lot of heat to straighten. A lot of natural styles require tension/ manipulation/ and pulling the hair back whereas relaxed styles are more versatile. Do what works for you.

I agree, I don't bash being natural, but I've relaxing for a while myself.....and it's the way you really apply the relaxer and take care of it afterwards, my cousin is relaxed, and hair to her waist and she's not on LHCF, I know because she doesn't have time for it......so no matter natural or relaxed, you will have to take care of your like fine silk.

JessCNU

Relax! :) only if you feel your ready. When my relaxed hair starts looking a mess and breaking off and my ends start looking bad then I might have to change my tune but My relaxed hair isn't damaged in MY eyes.

baddison

natural for good

These are the words I live by, when it comes to my hair care regime!!!:yep:

Kneechay

I don't think anyone really is "preaching" against relaxers, but rather giving the facts in regards to the question initially posted by OP, whether relaxers help in retaining length. I honestly don't feel that being relaxed or natural is what helps in retaining length, rather how you CARE for your hair. I know people of both categories with great and troublesome hair. The thing with relaxers though, is just that it requires more TLC because the process of relaxing itself is 'damage' so now you'll need more protein, care etc and a lot of people who don't know, don't make those adjustments leading to dryness, breakage, and other issues with length retention.

I don't think the poll choices fully encompass the possible answers to this question, I think you should add "Neither, length retention depends on your care practices" or something to that effect.

GoldenBreeze

TIA...

In answer to your question, no. I was relaxed for about 18 months in my lifetime, and I have always been able to retain better when natural. Now the reason for that is that I knew how to care for my natural hair better than I knew how to care for my relaxed hair. I also hated my relaxed hair, because it did not feel right and I could not do anything with it. It was just limp and curlless no matter what I did to it.

I believe that you can retain most of your growth with either relaxed or natural hair. The key is knowing or learning how to care for the hair in whichever state you decide to keep it in. The fact that their are both relaxed and natural 4a/b hair types with waist length hair on this board shows that it is without a doubt possible.

Last edited:

vkb247

it seems that we have a lot more WL and beyond ladies who are relaxed as opposed to natural maybe i am just imagining that but why do you ladies think this is the case (if it is the case) :look:

brittneyy92

I disagree. My natural texture needs 100% more TLC than my relaxed texture. With my relaxed hair, I wash, lightly moisturize, and go...and my hair is very healthy. With my natural texture it's a whole different story. It's to each their own. Nothing is "better". I hate this stupid natural vs relaxed debate, it's a personal choice!

I don't think anyone really is "preaching" against relaxers, but rather giving the facts in regards to the question initially posted by OP, whether relaxers help in retaining length. I honestly don't feel that being relaxed or natural is what helps in retaining length, rather how you CARE for your hair. I know people of both categories with great and troublesome hair. The thing with relaxers though, is just that it requires more TLC because the process of relaxing itself is 'damage' so now you'll need more protein, care etc and a lot of people who don't know, don't make those adjustments leading to dryness, breakage, and other issues with length retention.

I don't think the poll choices fully encompass the possible answers to this question, I think you should add "Neither, length retention depends on your care practices" or something to that effect.

Lucky's Mom

TIA...

Well, I can say that relaxers did NOT work for me.
It is a personal decision...But it sounds like your conditioning products might need to change and hopefully - you can retain length!!!

Natural hair is loads of work, but so is relaxed hair.

Are DC'ing? What condtioners are you using? those might be things you can look at.

Take care.

Lucky's Mom

oh yeah as far as my reg..... I co-wash 1-2 a week..... I moisturize with africa's best kids organic shea butter..... I put my qhemets burdock root butter creme on my ends....I seal with coconut oil..... I am now using mega tek on my scalp only......the rest of my hair is fine but my ends are hard to deal with..... when in cornrolls the ends tend to curl and coil around themselves....hopefully that makes sense....lol

So - Do you have DC that you are using?

DC's Changed my hair...especially Pre poos.

TaurusAngel

I completely agree. Do what you want OP.. If you feel relaxing will make your hair easier to handle, then do it. No can tell you what to do, only advise you. In the end, you have to choose. At the end of the day, its just hair and hair grows no matter what you do, relaxed or natural.

Cheleigh

To actually answer your question:

I don't know. My hair stayed around APL while relaxed, and is below bra strap natural. BUT, I didn't really do much to my hair when relaxed (before hair boards). I do more as a natural.

My hair curls upon itself and can split and knot like crazy, but I know how to minimize the problems resulting from this (although I'm not currently following my own regimen and my hair is suffering as a result :yawn:). I think whether you retain more length as a natural head or relaxed head has more to do with your regimen and how well you follow it than anything else.

loulou82

it seems that we have a lot more WL and beyond ladies who are relaxed as opposed to natural maybe i am just imagining that but why do you ladies think this is the case (if it is the case) :look:

I find the opposite true. When browsing the WL and Regimen Thread started by FlowerHair I saw more naturals than Relaxed (Que, HisDaugher, MissMarie, Iris, Chicoro, Poka, and Flowergirl). Also before coming to the boards and being natural many ladies (including myself) started as relaxed ladies and transitioned to being natural thus we are at the beginning stages of growing out our hair. It takes years to make it to WL and the ones I've seen like Slyver and Traycee are not hair care newbies. That's why I'm interested to see how far along the new naturals will be in two or three years.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I think that if your a person who suffers from knots and that is causing you to cut off your progress, that maybe pressing/flat ironing or rollersetting more often can help you retain length. I know it seems to me that woman with 4a/b/z hair who straighten every now and again seem to retain more length than those who wear natural styles regularly. Ladies with a looser curl pattern seem to be the ones who retain better while wearing natural styles more often and ladies who wear braids or do banding and stuff. I wouldn't bank on a relaxer, but I would probably add flatironing/rollersets to my regimen.

Hairsofab

I understand where you are coming from. My good friend has 4b type hair and she has been natural for 10 years, has never applied heat, nor has had it "cut" and wheres it in twists and fros, and her hair doesn't even touch her shoulders. It breaks off like crazy, I guess from manipulation and knots.

After being natural for a year and half, and as my 4bz hair started getting longer, I started getting those single strand knots too and my hair has been splitting. What I find helps is not combing or brushing my hair, only finger detangling, blowdrying with the tension method after a wash (no wash n go's for me), and taking a med heat (cheapie) flat iron to my hair once a week. I have very few knots now.

Hairsofab

I find the opposite true. When browsing the WL and Regimen Thread started by FlowerHair I saw more naturals than Relaxed (Que, HisDaugher, MissMarie, Iris, Chicoro, Poka, and Flowergirl). Also before coming to the boards and being natural many ladies (including myself) started as relaxed ladies and transitioned to being natural thus we are at the beginning stages of growing out our hair. It takes years to make it to WL and the ones I've seen like Slyver and Traycee are not hair care newbies. That's why I'm interested to see how far along the new naturals will be in two or three years.

All of them have looser textured hair, at least to my knowledge. How many 4bz naturals are there on here with WL hair? I think there was a thread on that and someone posted fotkis, but none were WL. My hair will never grow down it will only grow up and out.

Solitude

All of them have looser textured hair, at least to my knowledge. How many 4bz naturals are there on here with WL hair? I think there was a thread on that and someone posted fotkis, but none were WL. My hair will never grow down it will only grow up and out.

I was scared to mention this. Thank you.

Lucky's Mom

:nono::nono: There are some folks on here that have very long 4bz hair.

They don't post very often...But that does not mean they are not here.