Religion is a Myth

gone_fishing

Religion is a myth and the government uses it to control you.

Or so that is what this documentary would have you believe along with many other things.

I have a friend who says he's a christian. I tell you, he's the son of a Pastor and he knows his Word. Yes, the devil knows the Word too.

He sent me this link yesterday and I have not watched all of it but so far what I have watched has me disturbed VERY DISTURBED. :look:

The only reason I'm watching this is because it seems to be taking the internet by storm (if you haven't heard of this yet, it won't be long) and I want to be prepared to answer questions and do research on the issues it brings up.

Like I said this is long but it's definitely worth watching.

Please let me know what you think if any of you are able to get through it all.

I don't expect answers right away because it is so lengthy but if you happen to stumble into this thread - please don't forget I posted this. You can watch this at your leisure and tell me what you think whenever it is convenient for you.

Thanks.

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Last edited:

gone_fishing

Well I have to tell you after I got past the religion part - some of the other information was very compelling re: government/money/etc.

Please watch if you get the chance and tell me what you think..

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Thanks Adequate for sharing.

I'll take some time to view it...:yep:

Ummmmm, are you sure you want to know what I think...? :drunk: :rolleyes: :spinning:

PaperClip

What's the reader's digest version of the movie? Without watching it, I'm guessing that I'm not that interested....

As far as religion being a myth, in the most generic terms, religion is part of culture (defined as the full range of learned behavior patterns). Culture is comprised of myths, stories, legends, patterns of behavior, etc.

Now if this means that the story of Jesus Christ is a myth, well hey, 1) the devil is a liar, and 2) folk don't believe the Holocaust or the Middle Passage or the Trail of Tears is real, either....

gone_fishing

Thanks Adequate for sharing.

I'll take some time to view it...:yep:

Ummmmm, are you sure you want to know what I think...? :drunk: :rolleyes: :spinning:

Of all people, I'm very interested in what you think. Like I said - I take issue with the religion part of this film...but some of the things it talks about after the first part - I actually have a hard time disagreeing with. The part that talks about our government, etc.

Yes, please tell me what you think.

I was hesitant about posting it in open off topic forum because I didn't want it to cement anyone's confusion with religion but some of the other issues that it talks about - I felt needed to be shared...so I was sort of between a rock and a hard place with posting it...:sad:

gone_fishing

What's the reader's digest version of the movie? Without watching it, I'm guessing that I'm not that interested....

As far as religion being a myth, in the most generic terms, religion is part of culture (defined as the full range of learned behavior patterns). Culture is comprised of myths, stories, legends, patterns of behavior, etc.

Now if this means that the story of Jesus Christ is a myth, well hey, 1) the devil is a liar, and 2) folk don't believe the Holocaust or the Middle Passage or the Trail of Tears is real, either....

Well I'm sorry. I cannot give you the reader's digest of the film. It was too complicated and too many topics covered. Even Cliff would have a hard time summarizing this film.

I actually just completed watching the whole thing and it talks about more than just religion. I had to tune out for about the first 5 minutes. But even if you watch the first part - it's good to know what the nay sayers argument is so you can intelligently rebut it. A lot of religious scholars take the time to learn about what "non-christians" are saying so they can better equip themselves to minister to them. I'm all for that.

If you choose to watch it that would be great. I could greatly appreciate your very thorough and intelligent input. But if you choose not to - I understand.

alexstin

I watched 21 min and I got a little bored.:look: My thoughts: Here we go again.... I really can't take seriously, anyone who doesn't know the message of the bible. It's obvious that he thinks Jesus came to earth to save us so we could go to Heaven. He's based His logic about what Jesus did as opposed to why He did it. (It was so obvious when he showed the clips of the different crosses on buildings).

I can guarantee you if I asked that guy why man was created, what we lost when Adam and Eve fell, what Jesus said was the reason why He came and ulitmately what did Jesus gain for us in dying He would have no answer or it would be the typical answer that I'm sure he heard all his life growing up. I will give him this though, I believe that because we have mistaken the message of the Father we have made up our own concepts of who God is.

Oh well, rant over!:look:

gone_fishing

I watched 21 min and I got a little bored.:look: My thoughts: Here we go again.... I really can't take seriously, anyone who doesn't know the message of the bible. It's obvious that he thinks Jesus came to earth to save us so we could go to Heaven. He's based His logic about what Jesus did as opposed to why He did it. (It was so obvious when he showed the clips of the different crosses on buildings).

I can guarantee you if I asked that guy why man was created, what we lost when Adam and Eve fell, what Jesus said was the reason why He came and ulitmately what did Jesus gain for us in dying He would have no answer or it would be the typical answer that I'm sure he heard all his life growing up. I will give him this though, I believe that because we have mistaken the message of the Father we have made up our own concepts of who God is.

Oh well, rant over!:look:

Some people should fast forward past the bible bashing part. There is much much much more to the movie. Skip to like...past that and watch from there if you want.

alexstin

Some people should fast forward past the bible bashing part. There is much much much more to the movie. I don't think you could have been 21 minutes into the movie and they were still discussing religion?

I stopped right after he started talking about all the references to Ages in the bible. I thought you said only the first 5 minutes you didn't like that's why I stopped at 21:24 on the counter.:look:

gone_fishing

I stopped right after he started talking about all the references to Ages in the bible. I thought you said only the first 5 minutes you didn't like that's why I stopped at 21:24 on the counter.:look:

Well he starts talking about the zodiac and I guess that through me off. I too went past it so I didn't realize that he droned on about it. I thought it went...religion then zodiac but I've watched the whole thing now and I see it was combined in a weird sort of way to explain how religion came to be. I actually don't have an opinion about whether you watch it or not so no...I don't not like that you got bored or that you stopped...lol...but I'd say...skip to like 39 minutes...if you're still interested. It actually does get better. They should have made that a deleted scene or put it at the end....lol.

alexstin

Well he starts talking about the zodiac and I guess that through me off. I too went past it so I didn't realize that he droned on about it. I thought it went...religion then zodiac but I've watched the whole thing now and I see it was combined in a weird sort of way to explain how religion came to be. I actually don't have an opinion about whether you watch it or not so no...I don't not like that you got bored or that you stopped...lol...but I'd say...skip to like 39 minutes...if you're still interested. It actually does get better. They should have made that a deleted scene or put it at the end....lol.

Oh, okay. I'll see if I can get back into it this evening. I just meant I got bored with his nonsense.:lachen:

seraphim712

Great movie, except for the religion half.

Technically he contradicted himself when he went on a religion bashing rampage and then literally spoke about what has came to pass and what is come forth that was already mentioned in the Bible word for word. Even though other religions have their versions of the end of the world; I have yet to see one exactly on point to the current events of what's happening today as the book of Revelations have done so.

StLucianSweetie

*bump*
This movie is ridiculously amazing. There have been many things regarding our economy and government that I knew that did not make sense to me, yet I didnt have any answers or logical reasoning to even start to understand. BUt wow. This movie makes some serious points, and even though I would like to do more research...it seems dead on.

This movie should be shared with as many people as possible. There are big changes going on in our government which will change our way of life and our definiton of 'freedom'. Changes that are happening without the consent of the american people or our representatives. Even if you as a citizen choose to do nothing, you have to right to know whats happening around you.

* Other interesting topics that were brought up that I was really not aware of/ not aware of how far its gotten : National ID cards/Real ID Act (including an implantable chip), and North American Union (which was signed in 2005 essentially making Canada, USA, and Mexico a police state).
Im really worried about the direction our society is headed towards. This is damn reminiscent of how Nazi Germany was created. Do we really think something of that scale could not happen again? I urge you guys to learn more about super important things that are happeining in the background that they are not informing us about.

nadz

Thank you for the most amazing film I have EVER seen! I can imagine how many people get turned off by it being 'too long' or 'Religion bashing'. But Parts 2 and 3 should be watched by every human being on the planet, especially if one is American.

Thanks again.

blazingthru

I am not going to watch it. I was going to but right now Satan is working his hardest to have people start doubting and falling away. I been there done that. Never again. I embrace the truth that I have learned and refuse to have anything to do with anything that is not keeping me on the right path. to all that do watch I pray you are strong and do not doubt. This is just more proof that Jesus is on the way.