Residue from Indian Powders

vestaluv1

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the small granules out of my hair after I use Amla, Aritha and Brahmi powders.
I do a 10 minute oil rinse, then put in the powder mixture, then rinse again for 10 minutes before doing a quick condition, then a deep condition.

I think I'm getting breakage because of the residue.
What shoud I do?

growth2come

I have a couple of tips for you:

1. You can use a strainer before mixing the powder to get rid of some "stoney" bits
2. This may sound a bit mad but when I mix mine I use a hand blender if I want it really smooth
3. On top of the two you can also add SAA to the mix and the powder washes out smoothly....Hope that helps:look:

vestaluv1

I have a couple of tips for you:

1. You can use a strainer before mixing the powder to get rid of some "stoney" bits
2. This may sound a bit mad but when I mix mine I use a hand blender if I want it really smooth
3. On top of the two you can also add SAA to the mix and the powder washes out smoothly....Hope that helps:look:

Thanx a lot 4 the tips. What would I do without you guys :crying3::giveup:

AfroKink

As a 4 something natural, the powder paste wasn't an option. I could just see me picking out those littple particles. :nono: I usually boil the powders in water, then let it sit. Eventually the sediments fall to the bottom, and I just poor off the top into my spray bottle. You could probably do the same with oil instead of water.

Lys

Aggie

I am presently stretching my relaxer and I don't use the paste at all. I started straining my mix. I would mix my powders first in hot water like a tea and allow the powders to blend well in the distilled water and then I would strain it in a stocking cap and allow it to get warm enough to pour over my head like a tea rinse from a cup.

I like this better than having particles all through my hair. I hated and still hate that gritsy feeling when I'm washing it out in the shower. Lavendar recommends that the next time I do this, I could perhaps keep the tea/rinse on my hair for about 30 minutes with a plastic cap to allow the conditioning power of the powders to work a little bit this way then wash out, first with some cheapie conditioners then DC with a good moisturizing deep conditioner. Sounds like a good idea to me.

vestaluv1

Try these...
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/package/product.asp?product_id=teabagsm[/quote]

As a 4 something natural, the powder paste wasn't an option. I could just see me picking out those littple particles. I usually boil the powders in water, then let it sit. Eventually the sediments fall to the bottom, and I just poor off the top into my spray bottle. You could probably do the same with oil instead of water.
Lys

I am presently stretching my relaxer and I don't use the paste at all. I started straining my mix. I would mix my powders first in hot water like a tea and allow the powders to blend well in the distilled water and then I would strain it in a stocking cap and allow it to get warm enough to pour over my head like a tea rinse from a cup.
I like this better than having particles all through my hair. I hated and still hate that gritsy feeling when I'm washing it out in the shower. Lavendar recommends that the next time I do this, I could perhaps keep the tea/rinse on my hair for about 30 minutes with a plastic cap to allow the conditioning power of the powders to work a little bit this way then wash out, first with some cheapie conditioners then DC with a good moisturizing deep conditioner. Sounds like a good idea to me.

These are great suggestions ladies. :thankyou: very much.
I'll try using a stocking cap to strain the mixture first and I'll see what happens.

almondjoi85

I got large tea bags from lotioncrafters.com and i put my powders into the tea bag with hot water. It take a bit longer to get ready, but it is so worth it.

gn1g

I am going to use the coffee maker with my powders, I'll let you know how it works

TemiLnd

So glad I found this thread because this is what I'm experiencing.
I will try these ideas next time.

Vintageglam

Hi Temi :wave:

I use a coffee strainer. I boil up my mixture the morning I am going to DC or the day before. Allow to cool and then put coffee filters (organic and non-bleached) into a sieve which is positioned on a large measuring jug and pour the mixture through. It takes about 10 - 15 minutes to completely strain and then I just add hot or warm water from the tap as I am rinsing to make the temperature bearable.

Only thing is you cannot keep these tea rinses for too long as they go off so better to use them ASAP. :yep:

HTH's

biancaelyse

I heavily oil my hair the night before I apply my Indian powder paste. I think this lets everything rinse out more easily and not feel dry either.

TemiLnd

Hi Temi :wave:

I use a coffee strainer. I boil up my mixture the morning I am going to DC or the day before. Allow to cool and then put coffee filters (organic and non-bleached) into a sieve which is positioned on a large measuring jug and pour the mixture through. It takes about 10 - 15 minutes to completely strain and then I just add hot or warm water from the tap as I am rinsing to make the temperature bearable.

Only thing is you cannot keep these tea rinses for too long as they go off so better to use them ASAP. :yep:

HTH's

Hey love,
Coffee strainer!! That would be easier for me. You should have seen me straining my Amla through tissue. It took forever so i still have residue. lol. I will be heading to the poundshop to for some coffee strainer.

Vintageglam

Hey love,
Coffee strainer!! That would be easier for me. You should have seen me straining my Amla through tissue. It took forever so i still have residue. lol. I will be heading to the poundshop to for some coffee strainer.

cool make sure you get the un-bleached kind otherwise its counterproductive !