Restoring or Adding Curls and Texture With Amla

Isis

I noticed some of the ladies (especially naturals) who were concerned about their henna treatments straightening their curls. I learned recently that one's curls/waves/texture can be restored by adding amla to the next henna treatment or by applying an "amla porridge".

Here is a link to a brief discussion on this and a quote by Catherine of www.hennaforhair.com

Yemen might make the color more intense .......
If you want curl, make some amla porridge, and fingercomb it through your hair. Leave it there 10 - 15 minutes. Rinse and put in pincurls or twists. Let that dry. One of the folks here emailed me and she said that did the trick!

Here is another thread from the same site on this topic:
Wavy Hair with Amla?

Isis said:
I noticed some of the ladies (especially naturals) who were concerned about their henna treatments straightening their curls. I learned recently that one's curls/waves/texture can be restored by adding amla to the next henna treatment or by applying an "amla porridge".

Here is a link to a brief discussion on this and a quote by Catherine of www.hennaforhair.com

Here is another thread from the same site on this topic:
Wavy Hair with Amla?

Thanks for posting this!

seraphinelle said:
Girl this is SUCH good news!

LOL, you've seen my fotki pictures!!

Where can I find this said amla?
You can get amla at an Indian store as many of the ladies here do. There are some excellent amla threads here.

Or you can order online from www.hennasooq.com or www.mehandi.com . There are other sources also that I don't have the info for yet. :)

Yeah, this explains why my hair felt more wavy after my henna treatment this weekend. I had put about 2 tbls of amla in my mix.

I use amla porriage (never heard it called that. :) ) as a defrizzant/conditoner, but I hadn't noticed it changing my curl pattern. :ohwell:

sept_octv3-vi.jpg

Notice the difference in curl? The first picture is shortly after my first texturizer. I had already started taking MSM. The next year I started taking silica and using henna/indigo/amla and that's what I got.

ETA: Or maybe that's what helped bring my curls back after my stick straight relaxer??? You got me thinking now.

Last edited:
:lol: I was thinking that, because I saw how straight your hair was after the relaxer, and now you have huge curls.

And I remember you saying you use henna with amla.

Interesting huh.

But I can't seem to think where I've seen an Indian store to even try it.

sareca said:
I use amla porriage (never heard it called that. :) ) as a defrizzant/conditoner, but I hadn't noticed it changing my curl pattern. :ohwell:

sept_octv3-vi.jpg

Notice the difference in curl? The first picture is shortly after my first texturizer. I had already started taking MSM. The next year I started taking silica and using henna/indigo/amla and that's what I got.

ETA: Or maybe that's what helped bring my curls back after my stick straight relaxer??? You got me thinking now.

seraphinelle said:
:lol: I was thinking that, because I saw how straight your hair was after the relaxer, and now you have huge curls.

And I remember you saying you use henna with amla.

Interesting huh.

But I can't seem to think where I've seen an Indian store to even try it.
You may want to check the Internet for one in your area or the yellow pages under Asian markets. Otherwise, you may have to order it online at the links I posted (or other sites).

Yes,

I think I'll just ask someone in my class where the closest store is.

I have a friend going to India tomorrow and I've given her my shopping list (Also asked for curry) :lol:

I've been putting amla in my henna mix but I did not want color release or wavy hair. No more amla for me Thanks Isis girl you have helped me out alot:kiss: .

gradygirl said:
I've been putting amla in my henna mix but I did not want color release or wavy hair. No more amla for me Thanks Isis girl you have helped me out alot:kiss: .
You're welcome Gradygirl! :)

Back