Reverting back to Christ for a man.

Is it Ok to love Christ because someone you love does?

• Yay.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Nay.

Votes: 28 73.7%

• Total voters

CatSuga

You have to understand that I'm not doing this just for a man.
This is a very nice young boy and he likes me and I really like him.
Yet I know he would never be with a girl who was not Christian.
He is a real Christian. He believes in serving the community (like I do) and believes in the word 100%. It's not for lust because he is a virgin and is saving himself for marriage. But is it wrong to change because of love???

I feel sad now. I'm going to watch tv. :(

pebbles

It's not that it's wrong, but God doesn't get any glory out of you changing your life for any reason other than the fact that the Holy Spirit convicted you and you want a closer walk with Jesus. That comes first. If you go into this just for a man, or for love, or any other reason, it won't work.

First of all, people who have a serious walk with Christ and are committed members to the body, tend to want to look for like minded people. Even still, they can sense when you are serious about Jesus and when you're heart really isn't into it. When God doesn't bless a thing, it's not blessed. The Spirit of the Lord really speaks to His children, and they can hear Him. And no matter how hard you try, it will never work.

Get yourself right with God first. Make a connection to Him and commit seriously if the Holy Spirit has truly convicted you. Then the rest will take care of itself. Be blessed. :)

SoniT

I agree with everything pebbles said. YOU have to want to walk closer with Jesus and give your life to him. You have to feel it in your heart. Don't be sad. Everything will be alright. :)

AnnDriena_

great advice. They're right. you have to do it for yourself because eros love (love from a man to a woman) changes and you may end up falling madly in love with a muslim or a mormon and if you have a heart to change like you do now (good for you by the way) you may end up changing your spiritual self like outer garments and you could end up hurt confused and diluded. Ask yourself how you feel when you take this young man completely out of the equation? Do YOU still want to commit yourself %100 to God? Having that conversation with yourself or someone you trust could be a good start. God Bless.

Ayeshia

do it for yourselfl and not for him,...I mean if it doesnt work out between you guys will you continue to be a Christian?

stcsweet

I voted 'Nay'. However, there have been stranger situations that God has used to bring people to (or back to) Him. ;)

The goal could be to impress the guy, but ultimately, you would have a wonderful relationship with God coming out of it. :)

If you aren't serious about your walk with Christ you could bring heartache to this guy and yourself by being involved with him. Just saying you love Christ is not going to cut it. Being a Christian should be reflected in every aspect of your life. It's a way of life, not just something you say to be with someone IMO.

star

No, because if the person changes their mind what will happen then. The bible requires us to have personal walk with the Lord. Of course it is good for someone to influence our lives with Christ-like behavior. But, we must make the ultimate decsion because this is more sincere and more lasting. This is a very good question. :)

Sweet C

The purpose of going back to Christ is b/c you want a rlp with God, not man. What happens if you decide to give your life to Christ, and he tells you he isn't interested? Or what if he leaves or something? Will your rlp in Christ go down the drain b/c of it? I wouldn't do it for a man, b/c you are essentially banking on the fact that he will be interested in you b/c you are now a Christian. And if he is mature in the faith, he won't approach you until you exhibit some "fruit" in Christ and if so, he would be doing so only under the Lord's guidance. I knew a few of my guy friends that attempted that one on me, and needless to say, it didn't work.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Let's say you had a handsome brother or a handsome guy friend. Then a chick comes along and wants to be friends with you, but you find out soon that she really is hanging with you to get close to your brother or handsome friend. Though she may have hung out with you and treated you nicely, her heart was not sincere about it. You see what I'm saying? I hope that this does however get you to thinking about having your very own, sincere, walk with the Lord! Bless you sweetie. :)

cybra

The bible tells us to let our lights so shine before man that they may see our great works and glorify the Father.... Your SO's light must be shining so much that he makes you want to serve God. However, his light is just that "his light." Don't be fooled into thinking just because he may have encouraged you to come to the Lord that he is going to keep you there. Walking with the Lord is a personal, voluntary decision. We cannot get into heaven on Mama's, Daddy's, or anybody elses shirttails, we must come to the Lord for ourselves. However, to be motivated by the life of someone else is what it's all about. I recall being young and seeing women strong in the Lord and saying, "Ooooo, I hope I'll be like that someday." Just saying that doesn't make it happen, it's a honest to goodness commitment to your walk and learning more about Christ that strenghtens us.

If you love the Lord, you can lose your SO and still have the desire to serve him. If that doesn't happen, your doing it for the SO is invain because God won't even recognize it...it's for the wrong reasons.

I pray that the Holy Spirit of the Lord reveal the goodness of God to you and you come to him for yourself. God bless and keep you always.

Miosy

CatSuga said:
He is a real Christian. He believes in serving the community (like I do) and believes in the word 100%. It's not for lust because he is a virgin and is saving himself for marriage. But is it wrong to change because of love???

I don't think that's sad. People change and people in general go the God for different reason not automatically because they love Him.
I know someone whose husband began going to church because his wife was a devote christian but not because he wanted to but because he did not want to loose his wife. God used the situation, changed him, worked on their marriage and they are the happiest Christ loving couple around.

So be encourage, God can change anyone no matter what purpose you initially came to him for :)

stcsweet

Miosy said:
...God used the situation, changed him, worked on their marriage and they are the happiest Christ loving couple around.

So be encourage, God can change anyone no matter what purpose you initially came to him for :)

ITA! There is nothing too big for God to handle!

Blossssom

pebbles said:
It's not that it's wrong, but God doesn't get any glory out of you changing your life for any reason other than the fact that the Holy Spirit convicted you and you want a closer walk with Jesus. That comes first. If you go into this just for a man, or for love, or any other reason, it won't work.

First of all, people who have a serious walk with Christ and are committed members to the body, tend to want to look for like minded people. Even still, they can sense when you are serious about Jesus and when you're heart really isn't into it. When God doesn't bless a thing, it's not blessed. The Spirit of the Lord really speaks to His children, and they can hear Him. And no matter how hard you try, it will never work.

Get yourself right with God first. Make a connection to Him and commit seriously if the Holy Spirit has truly convicted you. Then the rest will take care of itself. Be blessed. :)

I agree 100% with this, Pebs... and what happens IF the relationship should stumble or fail? Will you go back to NOT being a Christian?

It's not fair to the young man, yourself, and of course, Jesus already knows the truth, so you might as well keep it real.

Funny because I too thought about going back to church in a continued effort to find a companion under the guise of being a Christian, but I knew that would be wrong for the reasons I just mentioned.

Not only that, I have never been good at playing "phoney". I'm too real! :)

cocoberry10

Blossssom said:
I agree 100% with this, Pebs... and what happens IF the relationship should stumble or fail? Will you go back to NOT being a Christian?

It's not fair to the young man, yourself, and of course, Jesus already knows the truth, so you might as well keep it real.

Funny because I too thought about going back to church in a continued effort to find a companion under the guise of being a Christian, but I knew that would be wrong for the reasons I just mentioned.

Yes you are Blossssom, and that's what we love most about you! :)

ITA agree with you.

As a Christian, I wouldn't want a man to come to God only to be with me, because he would be compromising who he truly is. Just like I want someone to love me for me, and not just for my fly hair (LOL) :) or other attributes, I want to love him for who he is. I don't want a guy telling me how to live, and I don't want to do the same to him.

So Catsuga, maybe you should go to church, but not for a man, unless he is THE MAIN MAN!!! You understand what I'm saying girl!!!!!

firecracker

CatSuga said:

Lawd and Claude lead Cat to dis man cuz she needs Jesus!:lachen: Ok for real. Whatever leads you closer to the Lord is a good thing.

mzlatisha

Everything is Energy
CatSuga said:

u should only be doing it for god and yourself. PERIOD..

mzlatisha

Everything is Energy
Blossssom said:

we two both of us..need jesus..

mzlatisha

Everything is Energy
cybra said:
The bible tells us to let our lights so shine before man that they may see our great works and glorify the Father.... Your SO's light must be shining so much that he makes you want to serve God. However, his light is just that "his light." Don't be fooled into thinking just because he may have encouraged you to come to the Lord that he is going to keep you there. Walking with the Lord is a personal, voluntary decision. We cannot get into heaven on Mama's, Daddy's, or anybody elses shirttails, we must come to the Lord for ourselves. However, to be motivated by the life of someone else is what it's all about. I recall being young and seeing women strong in the Lord and saying, "Ooooo, I hope I'll be like that someday." Just saying that doesn't make it happen, it's a honest to goodness commitment to your walk and learning more about Christ that strenghtens us.

If you love the Lord, you can lose your SO and still have the desire to serve him. If that doesn't happen, your doing it for the SO is invain because God won't even recognize it...it's for the wrong reasons.

I pray that the Holy Spirit of the Lord reveal the goodness of God to you and you come to him for yourself. God bless and keep you always.

that was great..i think u may have said it all.:)

p31woman

pebbles said:

ITA!! I think it is ok to admire someone for their relationship with God, but not to change yours because you want that person in your life. Your relationship with God has to be strong outside of that man because what happens if he leaves? Does the relationship with God continue to grow or does it leave with that man? If that man is for you, your spirit will conncet with his and vice versa. Choose God because He is that good and worthy of your relationship and time...not because you want one of His creations. Hope everything works out!!!