Review: Prepoo and Oyin sample pack (Long winded, just like me!)

LadyChe

Hi Ladies!

I just wanted to give a good review for some of the products I've been using over the last month. I've been using everything I'm about to review for at least three weeks consistently.

Some quick background - I am a relaxed 4a/b with find strands and medium thickness, hovering 2-3 inches above brastrap. And above all, I am a Product Junkie! :)

Pre poo
Hair Therapy Smoothing Tea Tree Oil Conditioner $3.99 at CVS/Walgreens/etc
I was looking for a pre poo with the following qualities:
- Easy to mix with honey, oils,etc if I wanted to
- Good enough to use as a pre poo on it's own
- Tingle - comes from the Tea Tree Oil, which also has antifungal/antibacterial properties (great for those of us with itchy scalps)
- Very moisturizing
- Mostly natural
- Cheap!
This product granted all of my wishes! At 16fl oz, there's plenty of product for the cheapie $3.99 price. I don't have the full ingredient list, but I can assure you that Tea Tree Oil, Lavendar Oil, Aloe Vera, Vitamin E Oil, Jojoba Oil, Biotin, and Vitamins A and C are high up on the very short ingredient list. You can look up more information on the company http://www.progressivebeautybrands.com/ too. I applied a good amount of this conditioner (focusing on the ends of my hair) and used with a plastic cap (no heat) for 1 hour. This product has the consistency of lacio lacio, gives amazing slip and scalp tingle, and rinses out quite easily. For those of you whose ends tangle easily like mine does --- after I rinsed this product out of my hair, I did NOT need my shower comb. My hair can feel mushy with too much moisture, so combining this with honey did not work for me, but combining it with olive/other oils works great - if you like to make concoctions! This product doesn't have a lot of additives or fragrance, so please note that if you aren't a fan of the tea tree oil smell, you may have to mix this with something else, however the smell evaporates pretty quickly too!
All in all, BIG THUMBS UP!

Oyin Sample Pack $20.00 (incl shipping)
www.exittheapple.com/oyin/
This sample pack contains Greg Juice, Whipped Pudding, Honey Hemp conditioner and shine and define serum. Great sizes for the price, esp since as a relaxed head, I don't need as much of these products to get a good result. I am a big fan of Greg Juice on wet or dry hair. This is a great product for those looking to nourish their scalps without that "greasy feeling". I'm only relaxed 60%, so I also mixed this with some water to freshen up my ends when going for the curly look. The scent is not overpowering at all and my scalp does feel nourished.
The Shine and Define serum also works well. I believe that it would work the best for level 3 hair types, as this didn't have quite enough moisture for me to use it alone. I used this product on wet hair only. It does encourage/hold curl definintion well, when used with a diffuser - but my curls shrunk up like crazy when I tried to airdry. I used it to slick back my edges for a ponytail and it worked well for that also - no sticky/tacky/crunchy feel, but I didn't get a lot of shine out of this product. My Honeychild users, shine and define is similar to honey hair creme in consistency. I would not use this product for straight styles.
The star of this package for me is the whipped pudding. I am a big Jane Carter Solution Nourish and Shine fan, but on occasion I find this product to be a bit heavy for the style I want to accomplish. In swoops Oyin to save the day! The whipped pudding has a thick consistency, but that's okay. DON'T use big gobs of this stuff in your hair! That will weigh it down, and trust me, a little dab'll do ya! On wet or dry hair, taking a swipe the size of your fingernail, allow this product to melt in your hands before applying - focusing on the ends first. This is a great end-sealant for me, it doesn't weigh the hair down (a must for my fine haired gals) and provides great shine without greasiness. For me, it's much lighter and gives less of a tacky feel than QP Mango Butter. According to Oyin, the products are formulated without beeswax and with water as a main ingredient, and I think this made the biggest difference for me between this and CD products. Since I've been using these products, more than one person has stopped me to ask if my perfume has chocolate tones in it - but if you don't want to smell like you work for Nestle, you can change it (see the website for more instructions) . Combining this and the greg juice did keep my hair moisturized for 3 days without additional products - I applied on Monday and didn't have to reapply until Wednesday evening.

Final Verdict (rated by *s)
Hair Therapy Tea Tree Oil Conditioner ***** - This product is now a pre-poo staple for me. The other products in this line have more "fake" ingredients, so I'm not interested in trying them.
Oyin Greg Juice **** - Like this product a LOT. I may begin incorporating this into my Surge regimen.
Whipped Pudding **** Love this product as an alternative to JC Nourish and Shine. (Note: Gave some to a friend of mine - she is 3c and LOVES this as a final step of her pressing regimen)
Shine & define serum ** Good for those who wear curly more often than not.
Honey Hemp conditioner (?) I never tried it, because my baby daddy is Aubrey's GPB! But I may try this as a conditioner wash in the future...

Thanks for reading! If you get a chance to try anything, let me know how it works out for ya!

Jaelin

I also have the sample pack. I haven't tried the conditioner yet or the sample poo bar. I like everything else, but everytime I put on the pudding or the shine and define I think of food.

I am substituting the whipped pudding in place of carrot oil for a few weeks. I may make the switch permanent. I like that I can use the pudding on my face and body too.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
Wow, great info. Thanx for the review. I ordered the sample pack from Qhemet and am waiting for that to arrive but Oyin is next on my list.

cocopuff

I just received my sample pack from Oyin yesterday. I really like the Greg Juice because it made my hair so soft and the smell isn't bad either. I sprayed it on my dry hair and blowdried a little section just to see how it would work with a blowdryer and it was wonderful. My hair was still soft and moisturized and easy to comb.Not only that but, my hair was still as soft on the second day as it was on the first. I will be reordering the larger bottle of this product, but will order from naturallycurly.com because they ship faster and I don't mind that it doesn't come from Jamyla herself.

The Whipped Pudding is GREAT. I really love this stuff and it smells a little like Chocolate to me. The consisitency is more like a butter than a pudding, but that didn't matter because the product emulsifies pretty well. I put a little of this on my hair and brushed and it immediately softens my hair and doesn't leave a dry feeling at all. I might try this product on my twists. I think that if I want to reorder this or the Shine and Define in bigger sizes, then I better do it now, because I waited a while for them to arrive and by the time I finish using the samples, the bigger sizes I order should be here.

The Shine and Define is also very good. I think that this is the product that actually has a pudding consistency. The fragrance immediately reminded me of fruit or something, I think it smells like a fruity cereal or something. Anyway, I also applied this product to dry hair and it softened my hair as well as the Whipped Pudding. I'm not sure if I can use this product for my twists, but I might try anyway.

I did not have a chance to try the conditioner, but I will try it later in the week for my conditioner wash and see how it goes.

I am happy with my Oyin purchase and will continue to patronize this product line. I look forward to the new products they are adding to the line and hope to try them also.

balisi

Ohhhh, I can't wait for my Oyin products to arrive! I ordered them almost a week ago. I hope I'll be at least as pleased with them as you ladies seem to be.

divinefavor

LadyChe,

Are you only using the Hair Therapy Soothing Tea Tree Conditioner as a pre poo or do you also use it as your main conditioner. Please advise or share your regimen. Thanks in advance for your help!

LadyChe

Divine...

I use it only as a pre poo on dry or wet hair. It's packaged as a conditioner, but I have never used it post poo. When I use it, I put it on, concentrating on my scalp and ends and then cover with a plastic cap. I leave this mixture on for at least 20 minutes.

HTH!

BrownBetty

The greg juice is wonderful and the whipped pudding is great. My braid outs look great and smell wonderful. I just ordered 2 more bottles of the juice and a large pudding.

I am soo set!@