Rhianna uses Manic Panic

DaiseeDay

For her vibrant red hair Rhianna uses her own "secret" blend of Manic Panic colors. I don't know if this is already a known thing or not; I've seen a few posts of people wanting her hair color, so I thought I'd share.

http://www.manicpanic.com/images2/press/articles/web_rihanna_vogue.gif

I suspected that this is what she used, I love Manic Panic.

Sent from my iPad

MaraWithLove

Ahh! No wonder. A close friend of mine and I have played around with so many manic colors lol and we were guessing this! :)

kupenda

I love manic panic. As soon as I'm back to being a full time student I think I'm going cotton candy pink

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

MissErikaM

I use Manic Panic over a permanent red. I love the color but it bleeds FOREVER! Like 2 months of red stains everywhere. But, other than that I like it.

DaiseeDay

manic panic is permanent?

No it's just a color deposit and fades pretty quickly - I'm sure she has to touch it up quite often. But the nice thing about it is that it's actually kind of moisturizing so you can use it as much as you like - I leave it in overnight sometimes to make the color more vibrant.

I use Manic Panic over a permanent red. I love the color but it bleeds FOREVER! Like 2 months of red stains everywhere. But, other than that I like it.

Have you tried sealing it with a clear glaze? The lady at Sallys told me to do that and I don't get any bleeding. I also rinse it until the water runs clear. At first I thought I wasn't supposed to, but I tried it and it was fine.

Last edited:

greenandchic

I used to use yellow and green Manic Panic to cancel out a lot of the natural red I have in my dark hair and it came out great and very natural. It did bleed like crazy, but it was cheap, easy to use and non damaging.

Dposh167

so are these colors stronger than the regular rinses. Cuz i'm looking at some videos tutorials and these colors are super bright and strong. now b4 i mess my hair up....u sure this will all wash out?

Dposh167

aww man. i just looked at the site, and i see that they don't have any browns. That's what i would want. Just a richer looking brown

MissErikaM

Have you tried sealing it with a clear glaze? The lady at Sallys told me to do that and I don't get any bleeding. I also rinse it until the water runs clear. At first I thought I wasn't supposed to, but I tried it and it was fine.

I had thought of that but just hadn't made my way to sally's to ask. My pillowcases and towels thank you! :grin: I would rinse for what felt like forever and it would still run red. I was afraid to go swimming for about a month because of it too. Now I can touch up my red. I have a blond section in the front, do you think a clear glaze would keep the red from tinting my blond pink when I rinse?

Last edited:

LittleLuxe

Ahhh this whole thread makes me happy, sometimes everyone is so focused on growing their hair down to their toes I miss fun silly things to do with hair.

Now I just want to go to Sallys and play around with the silly colored hair dyes.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I love that Ronald McDonald red. I think when properly toned and with the right styling, red hair is so freakin' gawjus. If I didn't have to bleach my hair first, I'd totally do that bright red :)

DaiseeDay

I had thought of that but just hadn't made my way to sally's to ask. My pillowcases and towels thank you! :grin: I would rinse for what felt like forever and it would still run red. I was afraid to go swimming for about a month because of it too. Now I can touch up my red. I have a blond section in the front, do you think a clear glaze would keep the red from tinting my blond pink when I rinse?

@MissErikaM
Hmm I don't know, Vaseline would probably be a better bet, or foils, or plastic bags.

Ahh red is hard.

Oops! I just remembered, I'm not using Manic Panic at the moment, I'm using Beyond The Zone. I did hear that their colors stay better. So it's actually probably a combo of the brand and the sealing that's making my color not bleed.

Last edited:

MissErikaM

@MissErikaM
Hmm I don't know, Vaseline would probably be a better bet, or foils, or plastic bags.

Ahh red is hard.

Oops! I just remembered, I'm not using Manic Panic at the moment, I'm using Beyond The Zone. I did hear that their colors stay better. So it's actually probably a combo of the brand and the sealing that's making my color not bleed.

Good idea!:grin: Now you're gonna make me go to Sally's and play in all the fun hair colors!:lick:
I have a HUGE jar of Vampire Red Manic Panic, but I may try Beyond The Zone when I run out. What is your fave color protecting shampoo/condish if you have any? I hear Redken is good.

leona2025

I did manic panic vampire red and the dark blue also. The red fades really quickly on me and I'm only a weekly/twice a week washer. Red is hard to maintain for me. It's perfect right after you do it, but it seems to fade from that first wash. The dark blue stayed FOREVER. I had to bleach it out. Then I did this color.2010-12-19 20.35.23.jpg

Manic Panic is what I used for my purple and I got a very vibrant color. it bled horribly every time I washed and conditioned because my natural hair needs serious moisture all the time. I'm pretty sure she used a weave for her color, because to get that vibrancy, you need to bleach your hair first. Manic Panic is semi permanent so it wraps your natural color in whatever hue you choose. If your natural color is black, and you don't bleach it first, you'll only see a hint if anything in direct sunlight. I agree with Leona, red is hard to maintain. It fades the quickest. I had to use Loreal Effasol to strip my blue out, though.

kupenda

I never had obvious color bleeding issues. I've used ultra violet, the turquoise, something green, and pink. No color leaking on other things. But it faded after being exposed to heat daily

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

SmilingElephant

Vampire Red is the biznizz...i rocked that all last year!....i think i'm gonna do it again after i hit BSL....it seems so gentle on my hair...it never felt dry...and even without bleaching the red was still intense:yep:

SmilingElephant

I did manic panic vampire red and the dark blue also. The red fades really quickly on me and I'm only a weekly/twice a week washer. Red is hard to maintain for me. It's perfect right after you do it, but it seems to fade from that first wash. The dark blue stayed FOREVER. I had to bleach it out. Then I did this color.View attachment 122839

Even if you sit under the dryer and let it sit for 30 minutes?

It seemed to take FOREVER for the red to get out of my hair....but then again...i was relaxed when using it.

DaiseeDay

Even if you sit under the dryer and let it sit for 30 minutes?

It seemed to take FOREVER for the red to get out of my hair....but then again...i was relaxed when using it.

Try letting it sit over night too; I just put a shower cap or plastic baggy then my scarf or bonnet on top to sleep.

Yeah the red can show up great without bleaching, I used Rock n Roll red last year and it was pretty vibrant.

Sent from my iPad

DaiseeDay

Good idea!:grin: Now you're gonna make me go to Sally's and play in all the fun hair colors!:lick:
I have a HUGE jar of Vampire Red Manic Panic, but I may try Beyond The Zone when I run out. What is your fave color protecting shampoo/condish if you have any? I hear Redken is good.

Hehe you sound like me. I just did blue highlights in my hair and now I'm already considering a nice natural (or natural-ish lol) red all over with orange (MP electric tiger lily is gorgeous) highlights.

Oh I co-wash when I have color in and just clarify every couple of weeks. That helps because the sulphates aren't constantly being used to strip the color. I do hear Redken is good, but I've never tried it.

leona2025 Ooh that color is pretty, what is it?

Sent from my iPad

MissErikaM

Manic Panic is what I used for my purple and I got a very vibrant color. it bled horribly every time I washed and conditioned because my natural hair needs serious moisture all the time. I'm pretty sure she used a weave for her color, because to get that vibrancy, you need to bleach your hair first. Manic Panic is semi permanent so it wraps your natural color in whatever hue you choose. If your natural color is black, and you don't bleach it first, you'll only see a hint if anything in direct sunlight. I agree with Leona, red is hard to maintain. It fades the quickest. I had to use Loreal Effasol to strip my blue out, though.

Do you have pics of your purple? I love colors like that. Back when I wore weaves, I would put in pink tracks, and I may have done purple once. Is it highlighted or chunked? I want to try colors with my natural hair, but am afraid when it goes frizzball on my I will look crazyyyy.

DaiseeDay

How would one do either this or the Vaseline sealing? I've got some In The Zone in my bathroom cabinet :look: yep...ya'll got me feeling bold.

If you go to Sallys just ask them for a clear gloss - Jazzing sells one, but Sallys has one that's cheaper - I just forget what it's called. After I color and rinse my hair I put the gloss on for about 30 mins (I sit under a dryer) then rinse it out. I believe Vaseline would only work to keep color from getting onto certain parts of your hair, like when you base before a relaxer.

Sent from my iPad

Do you have pics of your purple? I love colors like that. Back when I wore weaves, I would put in pink tracks, and I may have done purple once. Is it highlighted or chunked? I want to try colors with my natural hair, but am afraid when it goes frizzball on my I will look crazyyyy.

Yep. In my fotki.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier