Rinsing in cool water....

Leslie_C

How many of u either rinse out your conditioner with cool water or use cool water as your final rinse after washing out the conditioner? Ive read and been told it helps to close the cuticle and if used after treatments or whatever it locks in the treatment.

Also, if u do this, is it closing the cuticle to where your leave in and moisturizers arent going to be absorbed into the shaft? especially if heat isnt used which would open the cuticle again for the hair to soak it in......

Ive wondered this for a while but kept forgetting to ask...

lonei

I rinse in cool water and it doesnt effect the probability of my leave in getting into the shaft compared with warm water. I kind of just gives a fresher feeling after that final rinse.

lonei

I rinse in cool water and it doesnt effect the probability of my leave in getting into the shaft compared with warm water. It kind of just gives a fresher feeling after that final rinse.

I rinse with cool water after my conditioners and found that my hair feels well moisturized afterwards because it helps to keep most of he conditioner on the hair. As far as leave-ins and moisturizers, because if the hair is wet moisture can be more readily absorbed than if the hair is dry, I also think natural body heat from the head helps too.

Hadiyah

I rinse in cool, and it does help.....Warm water does open the cuticle and cool does close it, esp when rinsing hair color.

Neroli

I wash AND rinse with cool/cold water -- haven't used warm water to wash my own hair in in at least 5 years. Only time warm water is used is when I get touchups. Even when I only go to salon for rollersets, I ask for cool water wash. I read somewhere years ago that warm water opens the cuticles really wide and that the constants open/close action causes wear and tear on the cuticles and that hair gets clean with cool water so no need to suject cuticles to all that open/close activity. Also, IMO, warm/hot water just adds to the drying effects when shampooing so one less drying factor in the whole process. Hair that is damp/wet will absorb products no matter the water temperature. I have 4b relaxed hair and my hair has been thriving all these years on cool water only.

TigerLily

I've rinsed in both and I haven't noticed a difference either way.
Does it go on an individual basis maybe?

Neroli

[ QUOTE ]
TigerLily said:
I've rinsed in both and I haven't noticed a difference either way.
Does it go on an individual basis maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be. IMO, my hair is softer, shinier and less dry since I started using cool/cold water only . . .

H

HoneyRockette

I do too but I heard it messes with the scalp in some kind of way. There was a thread on that a couple months ago.

Honey01

I rinse with cool water, especially when I'm plan to wear my hair down to increase the shine factor. Since I wash my hair in the shower it's little bit like torture so I only do once in a while.

pearlygurl

I have always rinsed with cool water because my hairdresser always said it sealed the cuticle. My hair still absorbs leave-ins and other treatments I apply afterwards.