Rollersetting bad for your hair???

luvmesumhair

I have rollerset my hair three times (under the hairdryer) since my last touch up a week ago and I was wondering if you think that it could be to much heat for our hair under the dryer? also, is that considered direct heat?

Or...do you find that YOUR hair thrives from rollersetting?

I would like to know

kittenz

:eek2: 3x in one week!! My arms would fall off. The hood isn't direct heat but that still seems like alot of heat and manipulation.:ohwell:

MrsHouston

wow you have time for that! (3 times in one week)

I think it's too much heat...unless your dryer is on a very low setting. still it's a lot of manipulation too.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

By most it's not considered direct heat, myself included. Normally I roller-set 2x's a wk, and I believe this style has helped me get from neck length to BSL in a yr and a half (besides stretching and DCing). It's a low manipulation hair style and just pin curling and finger combing can maintain the style.

Just pay attention to your hair over the next month and see if your hair can benefit from it.

luvmesumhair

Well actually My first rollerset was on the 29th of July (when I got my t/u). The second one was Wednesday 8/1 and the last one was this past Friday 8/4. I was 2x a week.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

As long as your hair is benefiting it shouldn't be a problem, I know when I first began growing my hair out I pooed, DC, and r-set my hair every sunday, wednesday and friday, and my hair did nothing but thank me.
Well actually My first rollerset was on the 29th of July (when I got my t/u). The second one was Wednesday 8/1 and the last one was this past Friday 8/4. I was 2x a week.

kittenz

No my dear, that is 3x in one week Sunday- Sat.
(29th -Sunday, 1st-Wednesday, 4th-Saturday) :notworthy

Innocent_Kiss

It's a better alternative to blow drying, but I would recommend substituting airdrying atleast, once (if you'll get the same results). Excess in anything can turn out to be a bad thing. The ladies on the board RAVE about Caruso Steam Rollers. Consider it :)

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
wow you have time for that! (3 times in one week)

I think it's too much heat...unless your dryer is on a very low setting. still it's a lot of manipulation too.

Although it is in-direct heat it is still heat and a lot of it since you're doing this 3 times a week. Also the manipulation would be killer for me. I wouldn't roller set anymore than once a week.

I agree with Innocent_Kiss.....maybe you could benefit from Caruso's.

luvmesumhair

No my dear, that is 3x in one week Sunday- Sat.
(29th -Sunday, 1st-Wednesday, 4th-Saturday) :notworthy

:lachen::lachen:

OK. OK. So basically what I am getting from you ladies is NO. Rollersetting is not bad for your hair if done in moderation. 2x a week if I chose? (which I doubt I would be doing because I would be tired on Wed coming in from the gym)

kittenz

:lachen::lachen:

OK. OK. So basically what I am getting from you ladies is NO. Rollersetting is not bad for your hair if done in moderation. 2x a week if I chose? (which I doubt I would be doing because I would be tired on Wed coming in from the gym)

Yeah, I would cut back to no more than twice a week. If you have trouble maintaining the curls you can try pin curling at night and/or the Carusos. It'll free up some time for you too. HHG :rolleyes:

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
I was wondering the same thing. A hood dryer is nothing but a huge blow dryer to me. Placing my hair under that thing for an hour and a half (what is normally takes for a roller set for me) is alot of heat! I only use my hood dryer for conditioning/protein treatments. For me at least, it's less manipulation to just airdry and blow out the roots w/ a warm blowdryer, then lightly press w/ a flat iron.

P.S. I would cut down the rollersetting to about 1-2x a week though. Your hair looks good!

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Twice a week is actually too much manipulation. Once a week should suffice. I actually took a break from rollersetting during the warm months. Now I just airdry because I find that my hair doesn't break from it. When I do rollersetting I notice that I get more lost hairs and breakage from having to smooth the hair over the rollers and detangle. When the hair is wet, it's more prone to breakage. I think my hair is especially vulnerable. As the weather gets cooler, I will either go and get my hair done once a month or rollerset myself. If I want curls, I'll allow to air dry 90%, then either do Caruso's or roll with flexirods and go to bed.

luvmesumhair

I was wondering the same thing. A hood dryer is nothing but a huge blow dryer to me. Placing my hair under that thing for an hour and a half (what is normally takes for a roller set for me) is alot of heat! I only use my hood dryer for conditioning/protein treatments. For me at least, it's less manipulation to just airdry and blow out the roots w/ a warm blowdryer, then lightly press w/ a flat iron.

P.S. I would cut down the rollersetting to about 1-2x a week though. Your hair looks good!

OK Thanks for the advice and thanks for the compliment!

luvmesumhair

Twice a week is actually too much manipulation. Once a week should suffice. I actually took a break from rollersetting during the warm months. Now I just airdry because I find that my hair doesn't break from it. When I do rollersetting I notice that I get more lost hairs and breakage from having to smooth the hair over the rollers and detangle. When the hair is wet, it's more prone to breakage. I think my hair is especially vulnerable. As the weather gets cooler, I will either go and get my hair done once a month or rollerset myself. If I want curls, I'll allow to air dry 90%, then either do Caruso's or roll with flexirods and go to bed.

Good idea. Thanks!