Rollersetting Breakage

Postal

This might be a dumb question but I'm still trying to figure out this healthy hair thing.
My mom swears that if I don't rollerset my hair tightly during wash days, that will cause breakage. I've looked this up and I can't find anything that substantiates that statement. What do you ladies think?

I'm relaxed by the way

NaturalfienD

This is definitely not a dumb question ... I do not know anything about rollersetting aside from knowing that I want to try some day. I hope experienced ladies come on the thread with some helpful answers cause it would help me out too.

EbonyCPrincess

Girl - I try to never make blanketed statements because there is no one size fits all for hair care. That being said...I completely disagree with your mother's statement. Rolling tightly has more to do with the results of a rollerset then your hair breaking. And for my hair personally, I only wish I'd started setting regularly sooner on my HHJ, if I had I'd probably be at my goal already. Hopefully some of the other setting experts will chime in.

I just completed a 6 month RS challenge on my blog and my results were great. I'm fully on #teamrollerset! lol

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I'm very interested in Seeing what all the RS'ing experts have to say. When I tried RS, I experienced breakage due to the manipulation. I'm don't quite see how others are able to swear by it. I just can't.

Mjon912

I think shes a lil misinformed... I've been on my hair journey since 08, roller setting since then as well, before then I went the the Dominicans weekly for wash n sets...it's more about how you manipulate your hair...if you rake through your sections while setting your going to cause breakage... I would say she's correct when you doing a stretch and have a good amount of ng and don't get the ng straight...you'd then have straight hair with thick poofy ng after its all dry, the few times I've allowed that to happen I have to wrap my hair carefully or flat iron my roots to make them more manageable... When my roots haven't straightened I'm generally rougher with my hair which is bad for the relaxed hair, that's what gives the breakage IMO... Rollersetting under instead of over solves my poofy ng problem and I don't do that tight. The weight of the roller itself weighs my hair down enough that it pulls my ng straight ( if that makes any sense)

candy626

Rollersetting can cause breakage when done incorrectly. When I dont roll tightly it definitely causes breakage since my hair is very curly even with a relaxer/texlax. When my hair dries with too much texture I can't even comb through the rollerset properly without getting a lot of breakage. I then end up having to flat iron it out completly.

For someone who's relaxed fairly straight, you probably don't have to worry too much but still want to make sure your hair is smooth on the roller and pulled somewhat taut, so that it's not drying with texture to it. The key is making sure you create a smooth texture that hair can easily be combed, brushed, or manipulated for styling purposes.

janeemat

This might be a dumb question but I'm still trying to figure out this healthy hair thing.
My mom swears that if I don't rollerset my hair tightly during wash days, that will cause breakage. I've looked this up and I can't find anything that substantiates that statement. What do you ladies think?

I'm relaxed by the way

Well for me.....NOT rollersetting tightly has never caused me breakage. I have been rollersetting for years. It causes my rollerset to not be as smooth. Then I have to smooth it out by wrapping my and going under the dryer. The hair should be pulled taunt for a nice smooth bouncy rollerset.

janeemat

Rollersetting can cause breakage when done incorrectly. When I dont roll tightly it definitely causes breakage since my hair is very curly even with a relaxer/texlax. When my hair dries with too much texture I can't even comb through the rollerset properly without getting a lot of breakage. I then end up having to flat iron it out completly.

For someone who's relaxed fairly straight, you probably don't have to worry too much but still want to make sure your hair is smooth on the roller and pulled somewhat taut, so that it's not drying with texture to it. The key is making sure you create a smooth texture that hair can easily be combed, brushed, or manipulated for styling purposes.

I am 16 wks post and did a rollerset on Sat. I could NEVER get a comb through my ng once it is dried regardless of how tight I rolled my hair. A blowout or flat iron is the only thing that works on my roots when I have that much ng. I prefer blowing out the roots than flat ironing.

candy626

janeemat said:
I am 16 wks post and did a rollerset on Sat. I could NEVER get a comb through my ng once it is dried regardless of how tight I rolled my hair. A blowout or flat iron is the only thing that works on my roots when I have that much ng. I prefer blowing out the roots than flat ironing.

Rollersetting can be a pain when you have a lot of new growth. But I think it depends on your natural texture and the degree to which your has been relaxed.

I am texlaxed so my new growth isn't much different then my texlaxed hair but it's still a bit dryer. I definitely have to hit my roots with a flat iron in order to rock a rollerset most of the time so that it has a more of a sleek look with more movement.

But in general from what I've experienced having hair pulled taut helps with create an even smooth texture that won't have crinkles or random frizzy parts in it so when its combed through it wont snag.

Ronnieaj

I agree with the others. I'm natural now, but when I was relaxed (bone-straight), I rollerset weekly for 20 years. Not doing a tight rollerset caused me to have to use more heat to get the hair straight (I didn't stretch), but didn't otherwise cause breakage. I preferred tight rollersets because of the end result: smooth, shiny, bouncy hair.