Rollersetting for Naturals

Lisa23

Hi all,

After some bad breakage using my blow dryer last weekend, I would like to attempt to rollerset my hair. I don't know the first thing about rollersetting. Is it difficult to do on natural hair? I think I'm a 3b/c. What kind of rollers should I get and what size? And should I put anything on my hair, besides my leave-in and oil before I roll. I just got my Salerm and will be trying that out this weekend can that be used? And tips would be appreciated.

Lisa

Carefree

I have some pics in my album of a rollerset that I did a few months ago.

The key to rollersetting natural hair is to try to roll as taut/tight as possible. After removing the rollers I usually follow up with a quick pass of the flat iron on each curl to further straighten- but I know some members here who have rollerset without this extra step.

HTH and Good luck

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
Carefree said:
I have some pics in my album of a rollerset that I did a few months ago.

The key to rollersetting natural hair is to try to roll as taut/tight as possible. After removing the rollers I usually follow up with a quick pass of the flat iron on each curl to further straighten- but I know some members here who have rollerset without this extra step.

HTH and Good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to refer her to you because I remember that u were natural and saw your album with that great rollerset u did.

ChocoKitty

Nice album Carefree! I loved all of your styles. I especially love your color... BTW--What's the name of it?

skegeesmb

I have rollersets in my album too. I'm a 3-4 mix also. The pictures where taken when I was still natural. I'm not anymore, but the pictures show you how straight your hair can get.

Kha

When I rollerset my hair, I two-strand twist each section at the root one or two times and then roll the remaining hair (making sure the remaining hair is smooth). That way, it is pretty straight at the root. I use assorted size rods and air-dry, but I like my curls tight so they "fall" as the days go by.

bettydavis

I haven't done a sucessful rollerset yet, I tried doing it with wet hair and I slept with the rollers overnight, 24 hours later I took them out and my hair was still damp!! I'm going to give it another try sometime with dry hair, or maybe slightly damp hair....Carefree, Skegeesmb and Bubln, your rollersets look gorgeous

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
bettydavis said:
I haven't done a sucessful rollerset yet, I tried doing it with wet hair and I slept with the rollers overnight, 24 hours later I took them out and my hair was still damp!! I'm going to give it another try sometime with dry hair, or maybe slightly damp hair....Carefree, Skegeesmb and Bubln, your rollersets look gorgeous

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree I cant wait to try this out

skegeesmb

[ QUOTE ]
bettydavis said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks bettydavis. Have you tried sitting under the dryer? That's how I do it. I would have taken me too long to dry. I sit under high heat for about 15 minutes, then I turn down the setting to medium. I then sit under the dryer for about an hour, and then I put the setting down to cool for 5 minutes. It's a pain though.

kblc06

any more naturals do this?

I do...I think I may stick with it until I reach this year's goal (mid-back). I have a tutorial in my fotki as well as what I use prior to setting my hair. I normally use the large magenta rollers with the snap-on clamps and bobby pins to secure the rollers for better hold

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
OK, I'm experimenting with this right now. It seems a dry roller set looks best on my hair and it got my nappy nape strait. I'm using mesh rollers. A small victory for me. Now to try my whole head.:grin:

kaykaybobay

for the life of me I cant do a roller set on myself even after much practice. I found it easier to use flex rods.