Satin Bonnets and Hairline Breakage???

Have you experience hairline breakage cause by satin bonnets?

• Yes, I have experienced hairline breakage caused by my satin bonnet.

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • No, I haven't experienced hairline breakage cause by my satin bonnet.

Votes: 33 68.8%

• Total voters

janiebaby

Ok, I was warned about the band in the satin bonnet breaking off hair but I didn't heed the warning. I've been using satin bonnets for over a year and gradually I started noticing hair line breakage but attributed it to other things. I stopped wearing the satin bonnet for a few days and it looks like my hairline is trying to grow back in finally. I have no idea what I'm going to do with my hair in the summer...

LongHairDreams

do you have a pic of the satin bonnet? Or a site where I can see the one your talking about? I just started wearing one that my mother made for me. My silk scarf was doing that to my hairline.

mnemosyne

I think someone posted in another thread that they wear theirs inside out so the elastic part isn't on the hairline.

LongHairDreams

oh ok. My mother made me one with a headband http://public.fotki.com/fnggrant/afro-grow-out-and-a/feb-2008/february-styles/img22141.html

but the next one she is going to cover the band with the satin material. For now, im rolling that one up so my edges are covered with satin.

One of the girls here says she bought one like what I have. Its in this link:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=205613

janiebaby

oh ok. My mother made me one with a headband http://public.fotki.com/fnggrant/afro-grow-out-and-a/feb-2008/february-styles/img22141.html

but the next one she is going to cover the band with the satin material. For now, im rolling that one up so my edges are covered with satin.

One of the girls here says she bought one like what I have. Its in this link:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=205613

Wow, I didn't see this thread!! I think I saw one like that on the website I used to search for the picture. I have to do something because scarves don't get it...

Aussie

TRY SATIN SCARFS... N I DONT THINK ITS YA BONNET. PPL SLEEP WILD... THE BONNET IS PROBABLY BEIN RAISED WHILE U TWIST AND TURN CAUSIN THE EDGES TO BE EXPOSED TO YOUR PILLOW CASE. STATIC CAUSES HAIR BREAKAGE. I USE SATIN SCARFS.... AND WRAP NETS.

janiebaby

TRY SATIN SCARFS... N I DONT THINK ITS YA BONNET. PPL SLEEP WILD... THE BONNET IS PROBABLY BEIN RAISED WHILE U TWIST AND TURN CAUSIN THE EDGES TO BE EXPOSED TO YOUR PILLOW CASE. STATIC CAUSES HAIR BREAKAGE. I USE SATIN SCARFS.... AND WRAP NETS.

I did a search and couldn't find a wrap net is it the same as a mesh net?

TwistNMx

Maybe it's the brand of the bonnet.
Try another maker.
I love my bonnets...buy them in every color.
I like scarfs too, but when I sleep they never stay on...never!!

Christa438

That elastic lining will definitely cause breakage. My hairline had started to thin and break too. I caught on quickly. I started flipping my bonnet inside out and also alternating wearing doo-rags and scarves sometimes too. My hair line started to improve after that.

lnana04

This is so weird..I was just thinking about this. The back of my sisters hair is breaking off really bad but she wears a Satin Scarf. I'm thinking it's because of how tight she ties it, but what is she to do if it comes off at night? Her hair is almost all gone in the back.

LongHairDreams

This is so weird..I was just thinking about this. The back of my sisters hair is breaking off really bad but she wears a Satin Scarf. I'm thinking it's because of how tight she ties it, but what is she to do if it comes off at night? Her hair is almost all gone in the back.

try to find a satin pillow case or some kind of satin material to wrap around the pillow.

chayil0427

I have been usign a satin bonnet for 2 years with zero breakage. I make sure the rubber band inside doesn't touch my hair....often i roll the edge for the cap inside out in the back so this doesn't happen while pulling the front of the cap down so that its' over the top of my forehead and ears instead of on my hair line.

try this trick or shop tender headed.com for bonnets with now elastic band.

hope that helps.

chayil

janiebaby

I have been usign a satin bonnet for 2 years with zero breakage. I make sure the rubber band inside doesn't touch my hair....often i roll the edge for the cap inside out in the back so this doesn't happen while pulling the front of the cap down so that its' over the top of my forehead and ears instead of on my hair line.

try this trick or shop tender headed.com for bonnets with now elastic band.

hope that helps.

chayil

I've definitely checked out tenderheaded.com and I like that site alot. Thanks!

DivaD04

I wear a satin bonnett and it breaks my hairline. I think it's the material sewn around the bonnett tho. i kicked my bonnett to te curb at night and use a satin pillowcase.:yep:

how ddo you all get your images small...mine look all extra big, like no one can see.:perplexed

LongHairDreams

I wear a satin bonnett and it breaks my hairline. I think it's the material sewn around the bonnett tho. i kicked my bonnett to te curb at night and use a satin pillowcase.:yep:

how ddo you all get your images small...mine look all extra big, like no one can see.:perplexed

I just bought the satin edge bonet: (1st pic shown on page) http://www.stayonsatin.com/satindetail.html ....at Walmart. That is not a satin edge, it's elastic material!! It looks just like the pic above.

DivaD04

fnggrant I think mine is by Spartan or Christina..idk, but there is no elastic in it at all tho. It's all material...satin supposently. Mine is kinda big so it moves... hair_obsession, I've seen that at www.walgreens.com, it doesnt move right?...ima have to get couple of those. My lil one needs one badly. :lachen:

Buttercreme

That elastic lining will definitely cause breakage. My hairline had started to thin and break too. I caught on quickly. I started flipping my bonnet inside out and also alternating wearing doo-rags and scarves sometimes too. My hair line started to improve after that.

This is what I do also. NO hair breakage at all. In fact, my hairline is starting to fill in

LongHairDreams

fnggrant I think mine is by Spartan or Christina..idk, but there is no elastic in it at all tho. It's all material...satin supposently. Mine is kinda big so it moves... hair_obsession, I've seen that at www.walgreens.com, it doesnt move right?...ima have to get couple of those. My lil one needs one badly. :lachen:

Ok. Im not going to use the one I just bought at walmart...that edge to me doesn't seem to be satin even though it says it is. Im going to continue to use the one mother made me. Im glad she made it big and she doubled it...so there is two layers of satin. Im flipping it up so the satin touches my skin. She has the material to make the next one (leopard print) which she is going to cover the headband with the satin. I can't wait :grin:

Aggie

I tried this but for some reason the elastic part kept rolling under...

Could it be that the one you have is too small. They sell then in different sizes. I alternate the one that I can tie to my comfort and the elastic one, so I don't have hairline breakage from them.