Saving the relaxer look??

HairFanatic01

My hair stylist uses the Designer's Touch Lye Perm and after she does it and flat irons it, my hair looks so silky and straight. But when I wash it a week later by myself, it turns out a hot mess. I don't know whether its the way I shampoo my hair, my techniques in curling or what! Could someone give me some tips on blow drying or flat ironing the hair, what products to use for it, and some other ways to save the "just-permed" look? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. but HELP!

DigitalRain

When I flat iron, I saturate my freshly washed hair with Isoplus Wrapping lotion and spray on a heat protectant. I comb my hair straight down and sit under the dryer. If I have no where to be immediately, I air dry. I then section off a portion of hair. Starting with the top that section, I section off a thin layer of hair horizontally starting at the crown. I make sure each layer I iron is thin so that the heat can do its job sufficiently. I do this all over my hair and the end result is straight hair with a lot of body. This is time consuming so I may flat iron once a month,if that.

I don't know if this helps. Practice makes perfect.

HairFanatic01

Thanx so much!! I will try this is 3 weeks when I get my relaxer its been about 3-4 months, so this will be a great time to try it! Any more tips on saving the relaxer look???

Cat_Eyed_Cutie

I've only recently been able to achieve salon results in the last couple of weeks. My hair looks like I just came from the salon, but I haven't had a perm since November 11, 2003, check out my pics. I shampoo once a week with my product of the month then deep condition for at least an hour. Then I apply either Fantasia IC Hair Polisher, or Silk Therapy and blowdry. I bought myself a Revlon Ion Blowdryer (from Target for 19.99) just to see what all the hype was about and I have to say, it lives up to all it's claims. My hair dries faster and with far less frizz. Then I flat iron my hair with my 2" Chi Turbo ceramic flat iron (which I won on ebay). This gets my hair superstraight, light as a feather and really, really shiny!!! I love it!

Hope this helps

amy1234

My hair is not relaxed but I can manage to get it looking really smooth and sleek after heat styling. I think that the trick is how you blow dry. I would suggest blowdrying in small sections with a round brush or denman brush (similar to a vent brush) on damp hair (90% dry)..detangle the section first with the brush and then hold the section taut at the end with the brush. Then go over the section with the blowdrier until the section is dry enough..
Then you'll want to pull the brush and the blowdrier together through the section to straighten it some more.
Flat ironing is the simple part..just make sure that you use a heat protectant for a polished look. HTH

HairFanatic01

Thanz everyone!! WOW!! I love this board!! I know that so many ladies were wondering how to achieve salon results. Thanx ladies.

Boadicea

I use the same relaxer and when I wash my hair the next week, it's still straight and silky. It even air dries that way.

Are you using enough moisture?

HairFanatic01

Well, I use Aubrey Organics GPB and Le-Kair's Cholesterol. I really don't know what other moisture to use. Maybe I need to invest into some essential oils like peppermint, rosemary and a carrier oil like jojoba oil to moisturize and stimulate some. Do you have any suggestions Boadicea?

Boadicea

As for oils, I find meadowfoam oil to be the most moisturizing. And you also don't need a lot of it. You can get it from FNWL.