Seborrheic Dermatitis

ANaturalBrotha

Any body have this? I think Adrienne has it if im not mistaking but anywho. I have it really bad and it gets worst when i eat dairy products i believe. and I love stuff like cheese and strawberry shakes. So its hard to let that stuff go. Mine gets really bad my scalp is never clear. I've tried everything from Selsum blue to Nizoral. On its bad days its on my forehead around the hairline, eyebrows, mustache, around my nose, and part of the inside of my ear. Its really embarassing. If it was one thing i wish derms had a cure for would be this stuff.

adrienne0914

did your doctor diagnose it as that? based on where you're getting it, it seems more like eczema moreso than seborrhea. the weird thing is that doctors seem to prescribe the same type of stuff no matter what the diagnosis...

you should try something like Derma-Smooth for the hair. i like it because it's a peanut oil based product that is moisturizing and can be left in. i use it on my hairline and sideburn area as kind of a spot treatment. i also like Olux foam, which i use all over my scalp right after i wash and condition. and i wash and condition with prescription Nizoral. the over the counter Nizoral was not effective for me.

do you have flakes or like scales? mine is BIG scales. here's a pic:

this pic was taken yesterday, three days after i got my hair done at the shop. this was one patch of scalp that i scraped up. gross huh?

ANaturalBrotha

i have big scales and they did diagnose me with seborrhea. I want to wear cornrows. how can i ever wear my hair in braids with flakes that come up every 5 mins. and that Oil sheen is the reason why i have this mess. In the blue can. I used too much and ever since then i had this stuff. Prescription strength nizoral doesnt do anything. If i could least go a week or two without it flaking. I wouldnt mind. I thought it was because of the faucet water. Because i washed my girlfriends hair after it dried it flaked. but all i had to do was put some ORS tea tree oil on her scalp and it was gone and it does not return until she washes her hair every 2 weeks.

adrienne0914

did you tell them that you think it was from using a certain product? how long ago did you use that oil sheen? it sounds like you had an allergic reaction. they can usually prescribe an antibiotic to help clear it up. if that doesn't work, i'd try to Derma-Smooth... good luck!

daviine

I have seborrheic dermatitis and my doctor had prescribed the following: Capex shampoo and Rosanil face wash.....to be alternated weekly. She recently prescribed two different shampoos since the Capex is VERY drying. I am now using Loprox Shampoo and Ovace wash to be alternated. SO far, so good it seems but I haven;t been using either of them long enough. She also prescribed a creamy compound that is supposed to be applied to my scalp daily. I kn ow it has Loprox cream and soemthing else but I'm not sure what.

SOrry to hear that your seb derm is so severe.....

BTW...Adrienne..thanx for sharing the pix.

adrienne0914

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! you're welcome!
i just wanted yall to see what i've meant all this time when i said i have scalp issues... not pretty!!

daviine

I know what you meant cuz my aunt has psoriasis and she used to make me scratch her scalp til it bled!!!

brickhouse

Hi ANaturalBrotha, I feel your pain. I was also diagnosed with s dermatitis and nothing really helped until I cut down on some of the culprits such as cheese,vinegar,soy sauce and other fermented condiments plus mushrooms and saurkraut. I also make sure the supplements I take is yeast free because s dermatitis is caused by yeast. Now I am virtually flake free
because someone on the board suggested using acv on their scalp for 15 mins then shampoo with Nizoral 2% rx followed by a mosturizing shampoo and condition and finish with acv rinse.

Spicee1t

Hey ANB,

I just posted yesterday on another thread about my daughter's dry scalp problem and how I cleared it up with Apple Cider Vinegar. She's only 18 months and she had something on her scalp that resembled cradle cap (I don't know if that's what it was because I wash her hair daily) and I couldn't find anything to clear it up. She also has eczema and the same thing that happens to you happens to her when she eats dairy products. One night before giving her a bath I washed her hair then put conditioner on it and let it sit for about 5 minutes. After I rinsed the conditioner I wanted to try an ACV rinse (still don't know what made me want to try it but I figured it couldn't hurt) but I didn't have an extra bottle in the bathroom to pour the vinegar in so that I could dilute it so I poured a little in my hand and put it directly on her hair. Amazing! After I finished towel drying it I put a little Wildgrowth oil and some Giovanni Leave In Conditioner on it then brushed it and I couldn't believe how shiny her scalp was. Try doing this one time and I guarantee that you will see results the first time that you do. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

pookeylou

Have you also tried facial washes and shampoos and oils with tea tree oil...

My husband has it...within one or two washes...it clears it up.

pookeylou

You might also want to stick with conditioning washes...with natural ingredients.

Treatments with olive oil, mixed with aloe vera gel are very healing to the skin. My friends baby had a skin condition...flaked like pie crust...she would rub her down with olive oil after each bath...skin became smooth...AS A BABIES BOTTOM (sorry...I just realized the pun as I typed it...) aloe vera gel is healing too...

I would avoid products that contain alchohol...your skin needs moisture...so anything that can draw moisture into it would be helpful.

If you are sure that this is not viral...meaning you have to take an internal medication for it...then trying to treat it topically with natural remedies until you find one that works...will save you some money. And you should try it for at least 14 days before you move on to someothing else...

Has anything at all worked in the past?

LABETT

My Doctor said I have Seborrheic Dermatitis also but mine
only flares up every now and then just before winter and summer.
When it does flare up its on my face,nose eyebrows etc.
I have been using Nizoral prescription strength and Diprolene and Lortrosone cream
on my face and scalp areas.
I can wear braids but I have to prepare my head and do
pre-hot oil treatment for a month before braids.
If I use B&B Pump It Up Spritz my head flakes up.

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
I am proof that acv works. Adrienne, I had some nasty flakes, I used to even study with them and how I know that I'm really concentrating is when I fail to see my text because the page I'm reading is all covered with flakes. I also had it on my brows and side of my nose and side burns (hair close to my ear lobes/jaw).
Direct Acv application on my hair and dilute acv rinse for my face has rid me of it and like another poster said, it wouldn't hurt to just try it twice since the other prescriptions aren't really working.

ANaturalBrotha

Ok acv sounds pretty good but how long can you go without washing your hair before the flakes return. I mean because if i want to wear braids i couldnt see my self washing my braids. I want to keep them neat as possible.

adrienne0914

girl, i've tried an ACV rinse, very diluted, and it burned the sh*t outta my scalp! AND because my scalp is so porous, i smelled like a pickle until i washed my hair again...

love2praz

I too am sorry that you have this. I've been diagnosed with Seborrheic Dermatitis as well. Mine only flares up from time to time normally in the winter. The last time it was excessive was about 2 yrs ago. Back then, my dermatologist prescribed to me Capex Shampoo and Derma Smooth. It worked too!

This winter, I've had it on the back of my neck and the side of my forehead....not too appealing at all. I just went back to the derm. and got some more prescription cream. (I forgot the name though.)

But hang in there....unfortunately, there is not a cure for this but there are prescriptions that do help out! Thank God for this board! It's good to know that we are not alone in this!!!

love2praz

Blaxalrose, I have that Tea Tree shampoo by Paul Mitchell too!
My derm. at the time, told me to use that and it certainly relieved the itching I was experiencing. I couldn't do the ACV rinses either or else I'd have to call the fire department!!

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
[ QUOTE ]
adrienne0914 said:
girl, i've tried an ACV rinse, very diluted, and it burned the sh*t outta my scalp! AND because my scalp is so porous, i smelled like a pickle until i washed my hair again...

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry about the pain adrienne but hang on in there, it eases up and if you reread my post, you'd notice that my last wash didn't sting AT ALL. I had to even check to confirm that I was spraying acv on my scalp.
It's the yeast that is hurting you when the acv comes in contact with it.
Good luck and I pray you equally become an acv: Anti flakes advocate pretty soon

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
Oh, adrienne, you're supposed to use the acv on your scalp prior to shampoo. This way, only the bathroom smells and you can try the tea tree shampoo by paul mitchel. I never did but if acv hurts too much then the tea tree shampoo might be best for you

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I feel your pain! I used to think I was the only one because none of my friends had it. I started taking NouriTress hair vitamins daily along with evening primrose. I also made a mix of jojoba and olive oil with drops of rosemary to put on my hair but never my scalp. I wash once a week and do hot oil treatments with this mix weekly to bi weekly. Air drying has also helped me. When I was younger my mom used to apply sea breeze (original formula) to my scalp. It helped but my hair would smell like it and I didn't like that. Lastly, eat more leafy green veggies!!!!! As much as I hate spinach it helped with this problem. Since I began doing this a year ago I no longer have this problem but trust me if I go longer than 5 - 7 days between washes or apply oil directly to my scalp intead of my hair its FLAKE city for me! Hope this helps.