Self-Relaxers--What Kind of a Timer Do You Use?

Isis

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Digital+Arc+Timer+w/Cord/SBS-342857,default,pd.html

http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/deman...te/default/Product-Scene7Popup?pid=SBS-342857

I like this Conair digital one and have used it for about four years now, even for other things besides relaxing. It's been very reliable. It has the middle button to set the number of hours and the last button is to set minutes. I set mine to 10 minutes when I start on a hair section, which for me includes application and smoothing time. The alarm is nice and loud too. :yep:

The back has a cute, little pull-out stand so you can sit it on your sink or counter. It also has a magnet on the back in case you want to stick it on something metal. There's a cord also to hang it, although I haven't used mine. When the numbers start to dim (the battery lasts a long time), I just replace the little battery in the back or one can buy a whole new timer since it's only about $5.99 at Sally's.

What kind of timer do you use when relaxing your hair? Why do you prefer the timer you have? :timer:

Last edited:

betty-boo

Hello Isis! This is a good idea! I just use a small clock that I have and bring it into the bathroom. But then, there's room for error with those things - or rather with myself, because I start questioning the real time I actually started applying my relaxer. :grin:
I'll have to look into this - see if the Sally's here does it.
What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

jasmin

Yeah I use a digital timer. I actually use two of them...one for the front and one for the back.

RubyWoo

I use the timer on my cell phone..lol! I like it because it does the job. I set it for 15min and when my time is up, it makes a ringing noise that keeps going and going until I manually stop it. So I usually stop it quickly and and get to rinsing.

LABETT

I just use a regular kitchen timer I bought from the Big Lots for 3 bucks and it works just fine.

Caramela

I don't use a timer. I pay more attention to how my hair is responding to the chemicals. I don't think I even relax for the time suggested on the box.

Lady Esquire

Good idea. I need a small timer nearby, because I go over, and I also question myself as to the actual time I started. So far though, overprocessing has not been an issue for me. My hair is so resistant, I always end up with underprocessed sections. However, I still think the timer is a good idea.

Monigirl

I use my stove timer to see how long it been. I also wait a little longer until I get the desired straightness I want.

After this thread I am going to go look for one. Because I relax infront of a mirror in the bathroom and run into the kitchen to look at the stove timer often.

Isis

Your responses are interesting--thank you so much ladies for sharing! :)

You're welcome Betty-boo and Monigirl. Several years ago, I would look at a regular clock also but time would seem to fly and the next thing I knew, the relaxer was on way too long. :look:

Sareca and Jasmin, it's interesting you use two timers, one for the front and one for the back. Thanks for sharing that--I never thought about using more than one. :scratchch

Labett--You're right, kitchen timers do work well. :yep: I used to use one, the kind with the dial you physically turn to the number of minutes you desire, then the bell rings when it reaches zero.

Please continue to share how you time yourself when relaxing your hair and why you prefer it. :)

Radianthealth

I use this type of timer with a dial
http://www.coders4fun.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/timer.jpg

I set mine for 15 minutes right before I start to apply the relaxer. I use a mild lye relaxer and I don't relax in sections.

I have also used my cell phone timer and the wall clock in the past.

I like the timer that I have now :)

When I didn't know any better I would wait until I couldn't stand the burning anymore then I would rinse it out:wallbash:

Isis

Radianthealth- yes, that's the kitchen timer I have used in the past and one I think Labett uses. It works very well. :yep: I do remember about leaving it on until it burned. :burn: I didn't know any better either.

MizAvalon - I've used an alarm clock also in the past. IMO, a timer is much easier and faster to set. More reliable too, at least in my experience. :) If my timer suddenly didn't work while I was relaxing, I certainly would use an alarm clock or my cell phone timer, as some of the ladies here have mentioned they use. :yep: