Semi-Rant?:Why do people have to be so snarky sometimes?

davisbr88

^^ I've actually done that before for something else and didn't even think to use it for LHCF.
Thanks for reminding me, and I'm glad you posted it. I'm sure it will help a lot of people.

Egyptjones

Yup, I can't deal with the snarky-ness...... If I am not feeling a thread, I just leave. That is probably why I don't post that often..I am a paying lurker...lol

Flor

Im nowhere NEAR new and I ask questions KNOWING its prolly been asked 50-11 times already and I dont care if the search function is working at the time or not. *shrug* Its my prerogative to ask what I want so I ask it. Newbies have that same right. If folks dont like it they ALWAYS have the option to just KIM. Thats not hard to do but somehow it seems to be mission impossible for some people.

deleted.....................

Last edited:

EllePixie

Well I personally don't think it's rude or snarky when people reply with, "this is in another thread" or "this has been posted before" or "do a search." I have gotten a few responses, and my reply is, "Oooh, thanks! I couldn't find it but now that I know it's there I'll dig deeper." It's not rude to tell someone to do their own research, although I can see why it can be interpreted that way in an online setting where there is a lack of emotion.

That being said, if someone comes into a thread like, "Omg you newbies are so stupid you expect everything to be handed to you, do an effin' search for goodness sake." - Okay, now that's rude!!!

People get frustrated at the lack of effort some people have with their HHJs, and with good reason. If you have utilized Google to find out how to care for your hair rather than asking questions EVERY TIME you don't know something, sooner or later, you may snap when you don't see someone with the same autonomy you have.

Sometimes I see questions and I have to close the page QUICKLY before I say something snarky, because I'm like SERIOUSLY?! You felt the need to ask what clarifying is (didn't you use shampoo before!?), or you ask whether a product is "okay" for you to use on your hair, without looking up the ingredients. The latter example, I apologize, but it IRKS me to no end when a person posts a picture of a product they have bought, doesn't list the ingredients, and says, "Is this okay to use?" So you want ME to GOOGLE the ingredients and determine if it's okay for you to use, while the bottle is sitting right in front of you!? No really - are you kidding??? If you don't get yo' lazy self outta here... :computer:

Once again, my apologies, but people like that deserve some snarkiness, because that is no way to live your life.

davisbr88

I completely understand being frustrated when you put in a lot of work and someone is trying to basically ride on your coattails for free. That's one of my major pet peeves, and some questions asked here truly irritate me, but that's when I utilize the back button. I just feel like in the time it took you to make a smart a** comment, you could have moved on to read another thread to help better yourself.
I'm not advocating for people to be "spoonfed" like a PP said, but I just don't see how making people feel dumb/bad/lazy helps anyone. This is the only forum I actively participate in so I'm probably naive, but I just thought it'd be okay if we could be courteous to each other.
Obviously this was not directed at people who have good intentions.
But I think I've made my argument clear, so I digress. No hard feelings or anything - like I said, I wasn't coming at this feeling angry or whatever; I just wanted to express my opinion and what I've been feeling for a while.

iri9109

Well I personally don't think it's rude or snarky when people reply with, "this is in another thread" or "this has been posted before" or "do a search." I have gotten a few responses, and my reply is, "Oooh, thanks! I couldn't find it but now that I know it's there I'll dig deeper." It's not rude to tell someone to do their own research, although I can see why it can be interpreted that way in an online setting where there is a lack of emotion.

That being said, if someone comes into a thread like, "Omg you newbies are so stupid you expect everything to be handed to you, do an effin' search for goodness sake." - Okay, now that's rude!!!

People get frustrated at the lack of effort some people have with their HHJs, and with good reason. If you have utilized Google to find out how to care for your hair rather than asking questions EVERY TIME you don't know something, sooner or later, you may snap when you don't see someone with the same autonomy you have.

Sometimes I see questions and I have to close the page QUICKLY before I say something snarky, because I'm like SERIOUSLY?! You felt the need to ask what clarifying is (didn't you use shampoo before!?), or you ask whether a product is "okay" for you to use on your hair, without looking up the ingredients. The latter example, I apologize, but it IRKS me to no end when a person posts a picture of a product they have bought, doesn't list the ingredients, and says, "Is this okay to use?" So you want ME to GOOGLE the ingredients and determine if it's okay for you to use, while the bottle is sitting right in front of you!? No really - are you kidding??? If you don't get yo' lazy self outta here... :computer:

Once again, my apologies, but people like that deserve some snarkiness, because that is no way to live your life.

i agree with ellepixie, there are alot of posts with questions like "is this ok?" , "what is [something really simple]", or "what length/hair type am i"? or something thats either really basic, something that there is no concrete answer for, or something you should already know since its about your own hair...&then they keep bumping them and wonder why no1 is responding...those are the posts that if i happen to read, i probably wont respond to...i feel that since any1 who posts obviously has paid their 6.50, they should be able to post whatever they want, and it is kind of annoying when ppl make threads about basic and elementary things, but if you thought reading the post was a waste of your time, why not just click the [x] in the corner or your browsers back button? why waste more of your time responding if you dont have anything helpful to say...i know you've all heard if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all lol

davisbr88

^^ I don't mind the length ones as much since some lengths can be confusing (like BSL, which can change depending on how high you wear your bra or w/e) or the hair type ones since there are very few people on the board who actually seem to be skilled in typing and sometimes, people just want to know because they're excited since they just chopped and want to see where they fit in. The hair typing questions when someone is just hoping someone will tell them something that they KNOW isn't true (ie. trying to convince themselves they're a 2c when they're a 4b), that's annoying and I hit the back button on those. But as far as those other ones... I completely agree.

Janet'

Lol...This is interesting...I guess for me, I sit in the middle...The person I am online is the person that I am IRL...as a former high school teacher, I am used to kids wanting to be spoonfed and that irritates me to no end because spoonfeeding increases laziness and that I can't stand...but, in no way do I equate a newbie asking a question as laziness (for the most part).

Because I like researching as well (as davis, I'm working on an advanced degree), posting a link doesn't bother me, it's something I enjoy. However, I don't knock ones who don't find it necessary to do so either. I try not to take things too seriously in life, and I definitely understand the line of demarcation between real life and the cyber world.

If I can help, I can- if I can't (or am unwilling), I don't (and utilize the "back" button). Thank you for posing the question davisbr88, but I don't think that there will ever be a concensus on this because people are looking at the same question from different perspectives (because of life experiences, etc)...

ETA: Thanks for the shout-out, though!!!:lol::lol::lol:

onemoretry

You can use google to search only on Long Hair Care Forum (or any site for that matter)

put you keywords into google and then add "site:longhaircareforum.com" at the end. That will restrict the search to just one site. I do all my searches on LHCF like this.

example I typed directly into google search:

how to moisturize and seal site:longhaircareforum.com

This method of searching has really helped me a lot.
Thanks for posting this, it will be very helpful. I have to say I am a newbie and finding things on this site is not all that easy. I don't post questions for the very reason stated by the OP.

Nonie

Lol... that IS kinda cool, by the way. Might have to bookmark that page!
If only the LHCF search was as effective as Google... :ohwell:

@davisbr88 What is it you're having trouble finding with LHCF search engine? I keep hearing people saying it's not working then when I offer to help out, it's all crickets.

I bet my bottom dollar I can find what you're looking for. I only had issues with the LHCF search engine during the upgrades but once the upgrade was more or less complete, all was well again. And so far, I haven't had issues with it.

Your Cheeziness

I think if you ask 20 members what irks them the most about forums, you'll get 20 different answers. Everyone can't have 100% perfect experience with thousands of personalities scrambling for the same information.

Is it polite to just KIM if something irks you? Sure. Do they have to ignore something that irks them? Nope. Just like Sparkling Flame said, she can ask what she wants, and basically people can reply how they choose within the rules of the forum.

If I had a half a cent for everytime I saw replies saying "Subscribing!" and nothing else, I'd be a millionaire. That irks me to no end. I'm like, why are you crowding up the thread with 100 "subscribing!" replies and no information. Instead of saying something (like I kinda just did :look:) I just click Back and move on to the next thread.

davisbr88

@davisbr88 What is it you're having trouble finding with LHCF search engine? I keep hearing people saying it's not working then when I offer to help out, it's all crickets.

I bet my bottom dollar I can find what you're looking for. I only had issues with the LHCF search engine during the upgrades but once the upgrade was more or less complete, all was well again. And so far, I haven't had issues with it.

Haha. Nonie is always willing to help.
I'm not sure. I haven't done a search in a while but you know how specific I am in my threads, so usually I can't find a thread on it.
But that doesn't bother me. It bothers me when I KNOW a thread has been created and I'm just trying to unearth it and I can't seem to find it. When I first joined, the search worked wonderfully. I don't know what changed since then.

Nonie

Haha. Nonie is always willing to help.
I'm not sure. I haven't done a search in a while but you know how specific I am in my threads, so usually I can't find a thread on it.
But that doesn't bother me. It bothers me when I KNOW a thread has been created and I'm just trying to unearth it and I can't seem to find it. When I first joined, the search worked wonderfully. I don't know what changed since then.

Seriously, I dare anyone to PM whatever they're looking for. I bet you I can find it. Y'all just have to stop talking smack about our search engine and maybe it'll cooperate.

EllePixie

Seriously, I dare anyone to PM whatever they're looking for. I bet you I can find it. Y'all just have to stop talking smack about our search engine and maybe it'll cooperate.

LOL! I agree with this. Nine times out of ten the person posting the link doesn't have special search engine powers and they are any more capable of finding something than the person asking. I would say this ONLY applies if they remember the thread and it had an OT or very specific title.

ladysaraii

I will say that repeat questions on hair don't bother me nearly as much as duplicate threads in the Ent forum. Sometimes we've had 2-3 threads on the same topic and there really isnt a reason to browse the first couple of pages to see if its been posted.

At least w/ hair topics, you might get diff people to offer their experiences. :)

Ok that's my little rant for the day.

lilsparkle825

On this board (and tons of others), there are both unnecessarily rude/insensitive people and overly touchy/sensitive ones. There are both people who pay, and then are scared to post because of what the other members will think of them, and also those who get their $6.50 worth by becoming notoriously mean and "outspoken" when chances are IRL they are meek, mild and introverted.

Can't please everyone.

keelioness

I completely agree with you! I have always thought it was rude as well, but this forum is no different from the world we live in, some people are just rude and tactless. They fail to forget that we were all newbies at one point. I still consider myself a newbie, though I joined in Feb. If there is a thread that was created in 2007 on a certain topic I dont even feel that that info is still relevant. On this board we discuss 95% products and 5% techniques, and even when we discuss techniques we still bring up products, which evolve daily! So double postings are not a crime! If a person is tired of seeing a certain topic then either dont participate or request that topic be added as a sticky! Its simple!

I completely agree! Y b do rude and say do a search? Um we're abt to be going in to a new year in a few weeks..should we be required to bump a thread from 2007 or 2008 to get knowledge in 2011?!

Iluvsmuhgrass

1. Mean people suck. :look: They deliberately try to suck the life out of those around them and they tend to run in packs. :lachen: Maybe if they applied that effort to their personality instead of their hair they'd be happier people? *Kanye shrug*

2. IMHO there's a big difference between being deliberately asinine, trying to help someone, and trying to get them to help themselves.

Solitude

Good point. I used to have problems searching until I learned how to do an "advanced search." I pretty much find what I'm looking for every time.

I answer as many newbie questions as possible. If I say, "There is a recent thread on this," I include the link. I hate to see super-old threads bumped up, so I'd rather someone start a new thread. I think people some are snarky because they are fishing for thanks and popularity....or they're just hair snobs and don't recall what it was like when they first started and everything was new.

I just don't like when people ignore my answer or say something like, "I want to grow my hair, but I don't like braids, weaves, buns, or low-manipulation. I can't do braidouts or rollersets, I refuse to pay for a stylist, and I don't want to buy any new products. Also, I have no pictures of my hair and I don't know my hair type. I can't moisturize every day because I don't want my hair weighed down, and I don't have time for deep conditioning. What do you suggest?":drunk: :look::lachen:

thecurlycamshow

Although I am a newbie to the forum i'm not knew to natural hair care. I must say the ladies on LHCF have been polite... thus far :drunk: jk. I've found that ppl project and amplify poor behavior when they do not have to face or directly deal with the person. I've seen rudeness in text before and had to have a come to Jesus mtg with the person. Lol :grin: I usually research a topic of interest and ask questions when I can't find the answer (like posting a siggy pic- thanks Janet'!) :clapping:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Folks are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Scenario 1: Go into a thread and say 'do a search' and you're mean.

Scenario 2: Newbie thread have lots of view and few to no replies because all the 'mean' people hold their tongue and here come the influx of "So you gotta be popular to get an answer round here huh" threads. Not only are the non answerers mean, but they are siddity on top of it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW - I agree with Nonie. I been in this spot going on 5 years and aint had a problem with the search function yet. I'm going to get my snark on and say that the #1 reason the search function doesn't work for a whole lot of folks is cuz they don't bother to use it.

Janet'

Although I am a newbie to the forum i'm not knew to natural hair care. I must say the ladies on LHCF have been polite... thus far :drunk: jk. I've found that ppl project and amplify poor behavior when they do not have to face or directly deal with the person. I've seen rudeness in text before and had to have a come to Jesus mtg with the person. Lol :grin: I usually research a topic of interest and ask questions when I can't find the answer (like posting a siggy pic- thanks Janet'!) :clapping:

Lol...True!!!:grin::grin:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

sorry.... i have a real basic question....:-0
my "search" button went away weeks ago when the site was updated

if u ladies still have one, may i ask what is it under now? (tab, area, etc?)

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

1. Mean people suck. :look: They deliberately try to suck the life out of those around them and they tend to run in packs. :lachen: Maybe if they applied that effort to their personality instead of their hair they'd be happier people? *Kanye shrug*

2. IMHO there's a big difference between being deliberately asinine, trying to help someone, and trying to get them to help themselves.

oh sweet jesus thanks wasn't enough sis..... just wow

Nonie

sorry.... i have a real basic question....:-0
my "search" button went away weeks ago when the site was updated

if u ladies still have one, may i ask what is it under now? (tab, area, etc?)

:rolleyes:Do a search!

This is what a PP was talking about. Lazy folks who don't want to do sh** but want folks to do all the leg work.

I'm playing. :lachen: Really, I am. :rofl:

Search button is on the second blue panel at the top of the page, on the same row as UserCP, Blogs, FAQ, Community, Calendar, New Posts...etc.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

:rolleyes:Do a search!

This is what a PP was talking about. Lazy folks who don't want to do sh** but want folks to do all the leg work.

I'm playing. :lachen: Really, I am. :rofl:

Search button is on the second blue panel at the top of the page, on the same row as UserCP, Blogs, FAQ, Community, Calendar, New Posts...etc.
maaaaaaaan..... hopefully i'm bigger than you, bcuz i'm gonna whip your're arse!!! see me in the streets nonie, i ain't no killa! but don't push me:blush:

naaaaah, thanks so much, as god as my witness i've been looking for that button for a minute now (i really just assumed they were still doing maintenance)... i fell in love with the mentions & videos and they went away too:grin: such a teaser

i totally see the button dude! i've been doing the google comma lhcf thing and it brings up little or nothing (seriously)

thanks -so- much!!!!!! busta:lol:

p.s. ...and for any reason u're bigger than me.... ummmmmm cancel the unveiled threats immediately!

Last edited:

Carisa

I completely agree with this post and even though i usually just google what im looking for. Very unnecessary to write 'This was already posted" especially when u say that without providing a link. Why not just ignore the post all togther then.

And LOL @kmn1980 saying "Part of it is people who are poodles in real life get behind a computer screen and become pit bulls"