RANT: Do I have to be Type 4 or Highly Textured for People IRL To Take My Advice??

Re: RANT: Do I have to be Type 4 or Highly Textured for People IRL To Take My Advice?

^ I don't know why but I LOL'd when I saw the number of responses in both threads.

Re: RANT: Do I have to be Type 4 or Highly Textured for People IRL To Take My Advice?

I just want you to know that you're the reason I initially started exploring Hairveda and Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade girl!! And my hair ain't not nary one bit like yours! :lachen: I've also hit up your fotki, just to admire. I've stayed out of this thread, but I've listened to a ton of advice from a ton of people, regardless of hair type.

Umm, didn't actually know you didn't have long hair. I know that we have different hair types, but I love reading your posts. You definitely know your stuff, even if I can't use the same techniques (eg water alone as moisturizer, even with a ton of coconut oil, my hair threatened a coup :grin:). I listen to a lot of what all of you lovely women say, even if I do pay the most attention to other coily 4a's like myself.

ITA... Msa gives good detailed responses. I usually read her posts even though we're not the same type or her hair isn't considered "long" by board standards. Hell my hair isn't long either but that doesn't stop me from giving advice on the board. I've learned a lot since I've been here through trial and error and if I can answer someone else's question because I've been there I like to offer my opinion. They don't have to take it but I'll offer if it's something in my realm of knowledge.

I also think that people are more likely to take advice from members who have been here a long time. Pokahontas is a veteran member and she has WL hair.

Last edited:

You definitely should not feel like that, especially on the basis of hair type. Notice these 2 threads that we both started about the same brush and notice the response. ...

OT - Thanks for bringing that up - I recently got a Denman, and have been very disappointed at how much hair it rips out of my hair. I'd had never seen either of those threads because that was before I joined. I hope I can find that brush somewhere.

I've picked up a lot of useful information from all different hair types on this forum; I have multiple textures on my head - wouldn't want any of the textures to feel ignored, :lol:. Plus I care for several different heads of varying textures, so what doesn't work for one might work for another.

And not to bring up the good/bad hair foolishness, but until I joined this forum, I NEVER had any idea that type 3b-3c hair was in any way desirable. In real life, the only kind of hair I seemed to hear people pining over and complimenting were the type 2s, and on very rare occasions, type 3a!

I guess I understand. You have to do what makes sense to you. I know most of the time folks don't listen to most of what I say because I don't have long hair, but I keep posting anyway LOL. As long as it helps one person I'm ok with it.

I listen to you because you often provide facts to back up what you say. But I must admit...I've been wanting to see your hair for a long time! Quit hiding it!! :lachen:

Just a quick question: Why do we think LHCF is the "The Ultimate Hair Care and Beauty Resource for Women of Color"? If it was so easy to take advice from all hair types, then why aren't we on LHC? (for those who don't know, it's the hair board for yt women). Or why did some people google stuff like: "how to grow long black hair", and found LHCF?

Answer: We can relate to each other better and are more willing to learn from people with similar hair like ours. In this case, most "women of color" tend to vary in the 3-4 type range.

Just a quick question: Why do we think LHCF is the "The Ultimate Hair Care and Beauty Resource for Women of Color"? If it was so easy to take advice from all hair types, then why aren't we on LHC? (for those who don't know, it's the hair board for yt women). Or why did some people google stuff like: "how to grow long black hair", and found LHCF?

Answer: We can relate to each other better and are more willing to learn from people with similar hair like ours. In this case, most "women of color" tend to vary in the 3-4 type range.

We initially find it because we are told black hair is SUPER DUPER different, from the foundation of hair care and to the most complex. We grow up being told we need different products, etc. In the end we find out "white" products are usually better to work with and have better ingredients.

I do see your point and agree with your answer though

Wow this thread is still going.

You definitely should not feel like that, especially on the basis of hair type. Notice these 2 threads that we both started about the same brush and notice the response. I have type 4, but people were definitely listening to you. ;)

Mwedzi thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=231391&highlight=

Pokahantas thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=266005&highlight=

Wow.:ohwell::perplexed

... If it was so easy to take advice from all hair types, then why aren't we on LHC? (for those who don't know, it's the hair board for yt women)...

Actually, I recently joined LHC and have noticed quite a few members from LHCF on there too. ;) A lot of the basic techniques and suggestions are the same... low manipulation, bunning/protective styling for length retention, co-washing, henna, no 'cones, etc. There's a variety of textures, too, not just straight hair.

^ im a member there as well, they do alot of the same things we do, and ive gotten plenty of great hair care info from them as well :)

Good hair practices are good hair practices for ALL hair types (i.e. low/no heat, deep conditioning, oils, etc.) But I'm a 4a/3c--when it comes to PRODUCT recommendations, I'm probably not going to listen to someone who is a 3b. That's just reality.

You know whats odd? When I was natural I lurked on naturally curly and my favorite hair products tended to be "white" people products and 4a/b products :lachen:I had some shea butter on my shelf and my friend said "Oh you can't lock your hair, its not nappy enough." Shea butter is not just for locks and I can loc my hair if I wanted to.

I haven't commented in this thread but will say this: After reading your threads about Lustrasilk sheabutter cholestrol for your wash-n-go and twist-n-curl (I think), I went out and bought it and now I use it for ALL my braidouts and twistouts and I LOVE the results (see siggy).
I'm sure I saw the ponytail rollerset in your fotki (and MedMunky's) - which I love!!! And I've tried out some of your skincare advise (I know that's not hair related).

I just want you to be aware that people(like me), who don't have hair anywhere near similar to yours benefit from what you share.

BTW, thanks for sharing that tee-shirt --> halter neck video, I made mine the same day and I love it!!

After reading the responses here I will not waste my time giving out anymore hair advise. Since it seems that so many are closed off I will not pick and choose who to give out advise to....I just don't have the time anymore.

I answer all pm's though.:grin:

I thought I was really helping too:rolleyes:. After all this time over half of yall weren't even payin attention:lachen:.

I take all advice to heart. In my family we have all the hair types. Dh type 1c-2a, son 3b-4a, daughter 2a-3b (even though she is only 18 months I thought her hair would turn out like my son's or at least a little more like mine. When she was born she had a straight up 1 I think this is as curly as it will get) and me with 4a/b hair. So yes please keep giving advice no matter what hair type.

After reading the responses here I will not waste my time giving out anymore hair advise. Since it seems that so many are closed off I will not pick and choose who to give out advise to....I just don't have the time anymore.

I answer all pm's though.:grin:

I thought I was really helping too:rolleyes:. After all this time over half of yall weren't even payin attention:lachen:.

Hi Pochahontas,
I don't think you should stop posting advice. I've taken your advice before. I tried the SheamMangoCholesterol WnG based on your experience. I will PM if I have any questions. However, I do think that you have alot to offer and you shouldn't let the opinions of some cause you to stop contributing.

Back