Setbacks from Airdrying

gissellr78

Has anyone had a setback from airdrying?

I have been washing, deep conditioning and doing all my treatments as usual but i apply my leave ins, some coconut oil and air dry. After that i do a couple of braids and thats it....

Can someone let me know if i can cause damage to my hair by doing this for the summer???:look:

Sounds good to me, I doubt airdrying and twisting could damage your hair

I'm fine with air drying in the summer as long as I put leave in and oil on my hair while its damp.

But if I air dried in winter, my ends chip/break off.

I think you should be fine. Everything I do to my hair is by air drying. I would watch it and see how your hair responds!

I have been doing it for a month after my relaxer and i love it...So i will continue for the summer only. Coconut oil is a frizz life saver....

Any other tips,suggestions or things to avoid doing...

I have been doing it for a month after my relaxer and i love it...So i will continue for the summer only. Coconut oil is a frizz life saver....

Any other tips,suggestions or things to avoid doing...

ITA with the Coconut oil. Coconut oil is one of the ingredients in my serum and it makes a big difference when I use it.

Also, I airdry in Flexi Rods and my hair comes out great! Never had any issues.

I think most people have issues when

a: they don't moisturize & seal their hair while it is damp
b: they attempt to airdry loose (DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN imo)
c: they wait until their hair is dry to detangle

Another thing that can help is keeping your hair covered with a silk/satin scarf while it is drying to help keep moisture in and keep frizz at bay.

Ya I learned to moisturize and seal when it's damp the hard way :/

Also I airdry loose with a scarf covering the top because if I wet bun, the ends come out curly and gross.
scarf saves my life from frizz though

Ya I learned to moisturize and seal when it's damp the hard way :/

Also I airdry loose with a scarf covering the top because if I wet bun, the ends come out curly and gross.
scarf saves my life from frizz though

Yes lol i tried the scarf and the top was nice and flat:grin:

I have never had trouble with airdrying and I airdry my hair hanging loose. I detangle in the shower. I do not towel dry, squeeze dry, etc. I just air dry from dripping wet. That is a big key for me, because the water weight pulling down on my hair helps it to dry smoother. I apply my leave in and detangle in sections again after exiting the shower.

Another thing that can help is keeping your hair covered with a silk/satin scarf while it is drying to help keep moisture in and keep frizz at bay.

Summed up perfectly! I experienced setbacks from airdrying loose or wraps. I moisturize and seal and put my hair in a pony. It has been magic ever since.

i also airdry my hair hanging loose 100% of the time with no setbacks since day 1.

I add oils and seal while my hair is damp. Then I wrap my hair, and cover with a silk scarf. I've been air drying for almost 10 years. I'm deathly afraid of blow dryers though.

I think my hair looks best when I airdry loose. My hair turns out light, fluffy, yet full of body. I have a really large silk scarf that I wrap around my shoulders while airdrying loose.

I think relaxed or texlaxed ladies can get away with airdrying loose depending on their hair type and routine.

For me though, as a transitioner, it means a lot of shrinkage, tangling, and knots. Once I'm completely natural, and doing wng's I will probably use heavier moisturizers to help combat that.

i definitely can't airdry loose. if i do, like another poster said above, i end up with mad tangles and major shrinkage. i prefer to condition, rinse, apply leave-in and seal why my while is soaking wet. then, when it dries, it is more stretched and most importantly, untangled.

that said, my hair is really really curly, thick, and fine (hopeless combination). if type matters for comparison, i'm a mixture of 3c/4a/4b. hth.

I think my biggest mistakes when airdrying is when I fail to detangle properly before air drying. My hair knots up really quickly. I thought I'd be able to detangle more successfully when my hair dried. Boy was I wrong. Overall, if you do the right thing before you start the airdrying process, your hair should be fine.

I think my hair looks best when I airdry loose. My hair turns out light, fluffy, yet full of body. I have a really large silk scarf that I wrap around my shoulders while airdrying loose.

I had never thought of putting something on my shoulders to protect my ends while drying.
Thanks for the tip!

:ohwell:

I airdry frequently w/ no issues! I adhere to A, B, and C. I always detangle when wet, I never air dry loose, and I always use moisture and seal sometimes several times until the next wash :)

I have been air-drying loose for a 6 weeks now and I have had not issues. I make sure I use Lustrasilk Cholesterol Plus Shea Butter as a leave-in sealed with coconut oil and so far so good. I also had a nice trim with my last relaxer, so I think I got rid of all the dead ends I had. I had tried air-drying last year and had disastrous results with both bunning and drying loose. Using the right products really has made a difference.

I had a major set back once. I didn't seal my ends. I would make 6 buns and just let it dry like that. The hair sticking up would dry out horribly. I had 1-2 inches of frayed split ends trimmed (It took me 2 relaxer cycles to figure out why :perplexed). Now I rub a little hairveda green tea butter on the ends (after detangling and leave-ins). No more fray.

Post removed, you answered the question I had for you on Page 2.

Last edited:
Back