• I apply shampoo to my dry hair and then rinse it out

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • I rinse just long enough to wet my hair and then apply shampoo

Votes: 69 30.7%
  • I rinse my hair for several minutes before shampooing

Votes: 90 40.0%
  • I apply shampoo to the scalp ONLY, the runoff will get my length clean

Votes: 58 25.8%
  • I apply shampoo to my scalp and squeegie the lather down the length of my hair

Votes: 77 34.2%
  • I pile my hair on my head and massage the shampoo in that way

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • I rinse the shampoo off immediately after lathering

Votes: 34 15.1%
  • I leave the shampoo on for a few seconds to a minute or so

Votes: 65 28.9%
  • I leave the shampoo on for several minutes

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • I don't use shampoo/Other

Votes: 18 8.0%

• Total voters

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
So which techniques do you use when you shampoo? How has it benefited you?

I rinse my hair for a few minutes before shampooing. When I shampoo, I apply it to the scalp, massage it in and squeegie the lather down the length of my hair. Then I put it in a bun on the top of my head, finish with my shower and rinse it out

This is benefited me in many ways. Rinsing for several minutes gets a lot of the excess crap of of my head. Squeezing the lather down my hair prevents my hair from getting tangled and the length doesn't get dried out. Leaving it on for several minutes ensures that the shampoo has enough time to cut through all of the dirt and product.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I actually picked 2.:look:

I Thoroughly Rinse my Hair a Few Minutes before Shampooing. Then I apply to scalp, massage it in, let it sit for a minute or two and rinse. I only use Shampoo now to Clarify my hair. It is no longer part of my Wash/Day. I use Conditioner.

So, I probably only use it once a month. And it's always a Clarifying 'Poo.:yep:

msa

I don't use shampoo.
1. Rinse hair for a few minutes.
2. Liberally apply conditioner mixed with baking soda until all my hair is saturated.
3. Scrub my scalp really well. Give myself a scalp massage.
4. Rinse.

prospurr4

I voted "Other."

I use shampoo only when I feel product buildup on my hair...maybe once per month. My technique is as follows:

- thoroughly finger-detangle dry hair
- saturate hair with water
- pour a quarter-sized amount of shampoo (Motions Lavish) into a cup and mix with an ounce or two of water
- pour diluted shampoo throughout hair, massage scalp only, then rinse thoroughly

Ivonnovi

Well!!!!!!!!!!!!! So far I'm in the minority of procedures.

1st Wash : I put it onto my dry hair.

2nd Wash: Apply more and leave on for several minutes (I call it soaking)

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Does anyone recommend using a shampoo brush to stimulate the scalp?
Hmmm, I've never heard of a shampoo brush. How do you use them? I'd be scared to brush my wet, unconditioned hair

Last edited:

darlingdiva

I apply the shampoo to my scalp while the conditioner is in my hair. Then I scrub my scalp & let the excess shampoo run down my hair. This way works better for me than when I used to do the castor oil pre-poo & apply the diluted shampoo from an applicator bottle. Over time, I found that even the diluted shampoo was too harsh for my hair.

msa

Well!!!!!!!!!!!!! So far I'm in the minority of procedures.

1st Wash : I put it onto my dry hair.

2nd Wash: Apply more and leave on for several minutes (I call it soaking)

Why do you wash twice? I've never understood why people do that.

Does anyone recommend using a shampoo brush to stimulate the scalp?

I don't know what a shampoo brush is and like Tiffers said it kind of sounds scary. But, I do sometimes take my comb (wide tooth) and use it to massage my scalp.

myronnie

I don't use shampoo either.
Just a conditioner mixture of arithra and other indian powders.
I apply it to my roots in sections and then walk away from the shower head and massage it in with my fingers. I put some of it on the length, but not very much. Then I rinse for about 30 seconds-1 minute. This gets my hair pretty clean.

Magnolia85

I don't know what a shampoo brush is and like Tiffers said it kind of sounds scary. But, I do sometimes take my comb (wide tooth) and use it to massage my scalp.

Hmmm, I've never heard of a shampoo brush. How do you use them? I'd be scared to brush my wet, unconditioned hair
It looks exactly like this. I have not used it yet, and I was wondering if I should. I probably will just use my hands because I would hate to get my hair tangled.

msa

It looks exactly like this. I have not used it yet, and I was wondering if I should. I probably will just use my hands because I would hate to get my hair tangled.

Nah son. I wouldn't put that in my wet hair. It seems cool for straight hair but coily? Nope no way:nono:.

Qualitee

Since I use low to no SLS shampoos on the last rinse I let the shampoo sit on my hair for several mins while I wash my body and then rinse.

CHECKMATE!

Nah son. I wouldn't put that in my wet hair. It seems cool for straight hair but coily? Nope no way:nono:.

This made me giggle...that's true Brooklyn speak:look::grin:....But I would not do it as well, tips of fingers will do just the same:yep:

MizzCoco

I USED to use that pre-LHCF and it feels really good on the scalp...but tangles and hair pulling galore! I chucked that thing in the garbage!

ETA: I forgot to post my method...I use Giovanni SAS shampoo 1x week. I detangle before wetting, then rinse for a few mins. Apply shampoo to my scalp only, and let it sit for a couple mins, then rinse letting the runoff cleanse my ends. I might do a second lather depending on how my hair feels after i rinse

Last edited:

Desarae

I wet my hair for about 1 or 2 minutes.

I separate my hair with my fingers so my scalp is exposed.

I apply the shampoo to my fingertips only and then press into my scalp in different areas. Crown, Sides, Back, hairline, etc.

I rub with the pads of my fingers until it begins to lather. (1-2 minutes)

I scratch my scalp gently with my nails (1-2 minutes)

I squeegie the lather down my length and let it sit (3 minutes)

I rinse thoroughly for about 3 more minutes.

Ivonnovi

Why do you wash twice? I've never understood why people do that.
(1st I put my hair into 4 ponytails before doing anything)

IMHO
Wash 1 - Is more or less to loosen, soften and remove some debri

Wash 2 - Is when I scrub/exfolliate my scalp; & let the shampoo sit on the now clean hair to maximize any "benefits" the product may have. (moisturizing, tingling or whatever). I do not have a set time that I let the product sit's on my hair.

I don't trust myself to remove everything with just one washing.

1QTPie

Elder Sim
I rinse my hair for a long time before shampoo'ing or co-washing.

I wash my scalp only and squeeze the shampoo from my scalp through the rest of my hair.

I rinse my hair immediately.

MochaEyeCandy

I rinse my hair for several minutes before shampooing

I apply shampoo to the scalp ONLY, the runoff will get my length clean

I leave the shampoo on for a few seconds to a minute or so

Supervixen

I was just wondering about this...

I NEED the poo. My scalp only feels clean for 1-2 days if I do a conditioner wash. Even when I try to do one wash/rinse cycle with poo, my sclap does not feel clean. I have to do 3-4 wash and rinse cycles per week for my scalp to feel (and stay clean) for the week. If you think about it, scalp is skin, and I wash my body 3-4x per day in the shower, so maybe i dont wash my scalp enough.

I only apply the poo to my scalp though. By my 4th rinse I can use a dime sized amount to cover the whole thing.

I rinse my hair for a couple of seconds
Apply moisturizing shampoo to my scalp only
Massage my scalp
Squeegie the lather down the ends
Let it sit for a minute and rinse

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Ummm I rinse hair for 1-2 mins to get out any dirt or gel that I had being using. Then I add shampoo to my hair and scalp and scrub letting it sit for 1-2 mins also then rinse and done.

sunnieb

I've always rinsed my hair before adding shampoo. However, now I lather up really well and let the shampoo sit for a few minutes before rinsing it out.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density

I use one of those, but only on my scalp and mainly near the edges of my hair. I don't use it on the length of my hair because, like others have said, I don't want to tangle my hair. It feels great on the scalp.

Aggie

I saturate my hair with water properly before adding sometimes diluted, sometimes not diluted, shampoo to my scalp only, scritch for a few seconds to a minute, then rinse. I allow the runoff to cleanse the rest of my hair. I wash my hair in the shower, so this makes it easy for all my hair to get nice and clean. My new routine includes braiding my hair before shampooing to avoid tangling. This is working wayyy better for me.

*Muffin*

When I shampoo I use shampoo bars, but I saw two really cool shampoo techniques that I want to try out when I go back to using castile soap.

1. Before getting in the shower part your hair in four sections and clip them up. When in the shower undo a section and wet it, then part the section and apply shampoo to scalp and wash and rinse thoroughly. Repeat on other three sections.

2. Take shampoo, put into an applicator bottle and dilute with water (one ounce shampoo to 3 ounces of water). Then apply shampoo mixture to scalp only and scrub scalp with balls of your fingers. Rinse scalp and hair thoroughly.

sleepflower

I rinse just enough to get my hair wet, apply shampoo, and let it sit from 1-3 minutes. Right now I am using shampoo bars so I end up applying to the ends and then massaging it down to my scalp, but when I use liquids I apply directly to my scalp. This would be the time I massage and lightly scratch my scalp, too. I leave it on because the shampoos I use have natural ingredients in them that are supposed to help the hair, and I assume they do not do their things immediately.

As it gets longer I know I want to start working in sections, somehow. I just do not know exactly how, yet.

Lady Esquire

When I shampoo I use shampoo bars, but I saw two really cool shampoo techniques that I want to try out when I go back to using castile soap.

1. Before getting in the shower part your hair in four sections and clip them up. When in the shower undo a section and wet it, then part the section and apply shampoo to scalp and wash and rinse thoroughly. Repeat on other three sections.

2. Take shampoo, put into an applicator bottle and dilute with water (one ounce shampoo to 3 ounces of water). Then apply shampoo mixture to scalp only and scrub scalp with balls of your fingers. Rinse scalp and hair thoroughly.

This is how I have done it for years. I should go back to this method to decrease tangling.

The applicator bottle method is interesting. I may try that in combination with the first.