• I apply shampoo to my dry hair and then rinse it out

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • I rinse just long enough to wet my hair and then apply shampoo

Votes: 69 30.7%
  • I rinse my hair for several minutes before shampooing

Votes: 90 40.0%
  • I apply shampoo to the scalp ONLY, the runoff will get my length clean

Votes: 58 25.8%
  • I apply shampoo to my scalp and squeegie the lather down the length of my hair

Votes: 77 34.2%
  • I pile my hair on my head and massage the shampoo in that way

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • I rinse the shampoo off immediately after lathering

Votes: 34 15.1%
  • I leave the shampoo on for a few seconds to a minute or so

Votes: 65 28.9%
  • I leave the shampoo on for several minutes

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • I don't use shampoo/Other

Votes: 18 8.0%

• Total voters

Neith

Am I the only one that doesn't pay attention? :perplexed

I do shampoo on wet hair... but the rest of the procedure varies. I'm not even thinking about how long I leave it in or anything like that :lol:

Unless it's a relaxer. I was on top of neutralizing.

Last edited:

Pooks

I don't use shampoo.
1. Rinse hair for a few minutes.
2. Liberally apply conditioner mixed with baking soda until all my hair is saturated.
3. Scrub my scalp really well. Give myself a scalp massage.
4. Rinse.

As soon as I finish the shampoo in my stash this will be my modus operandi. I may just give my shampoo away!

Lyoness

I dc on dry hair without heat and rinse that out before I shampoo.. when I dont I notice a difference in how my hair feels..
Then I use a shampoo bar and massage my scalp.. I do this in halves.. I usually leave it to sit a few minutes while I fill and empty the sink and rinse each half out separately.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
These were my answers:

I rinse just long enough to wet my hair and then apply shampoo.

I apply shampoo to my scalp and squeegie the lather down the length of my hair.

cinnamin2891

good morning :) i use giovanni 50/50 shampoo but i'm about to switch to the smooth as silk. i detangle first (after prepooing with EVCO), separate into four sections, make loose twists and shampoo that way. looooove it. i haven't had any knots since i started doing this.

Brownie518

I DC on dry hair so I rinse that thoroughly before applying my Aveda DR poo. I let this sit for a minute or so and rinse well. When I clarify, I usually apply to scalp and let it run down the length. This seems to work best for me.

Lucky's Mom

I love to stand under the shower head.....It seems to melt the tension away...........

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh........................

Anyway. I soak my hair, then use shampoo... in a tint bottle.......

I like the scalp scrubbers... they are not for combing, they are for massaging....

Ms_CoCo37

So which techniques do you use when you shampoo? How has it benefited you?

I rinse my hair for a few minutes before shampooing. When I shampoo, I apply it to the scalp, massage it in and squeegie the lather down the length of my hair. Then I put it in a bun on the top of my head, finish with my shower and rinse it out

This is benefited me in many ways. Rinsing for several minutes gets a lot of the excess crap of of my head. Squeezing the lather down my hair prevents my hair from getting tangled and the length doesn't get dried out. Leaving it on for several minutes ensures that the shampoo has enough time to cut through all of the dirt and product.

I basically use the same technique as you do...almost verbatim. I used to pile it on top of my head and lather up,but the my hair would be a hot matted mess. I had to learn by trial and error.

MsEllie

I use enough water to wet my hair... then I use a shampoo bar... only one wash... rinse and then condition.. I do this once a week..

mariofmagdal

I apply shampoo to dry hair and leave on several minutes to give it the opportunity to cleanse thoroughly. This has always worked for me. I do the same with my daughter.

Uber

my 2nd option was not there.

I rinse my hair for several minutes before shampooing. I need to get out the gel

I put shampoo in my hair from roots to end in a downward motion to avoid tangling and raising of the cuticles. I massage my scalp gently with the shampoo and continue to move my hand in a downward motion from roots to end. This is the method that Cathy Howse teaches.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Love this thread - I've just been thinking that I need to adjust my wash technique so this was perfect. I'm going to do sections - dilute my shampoo apply it to my scalp wash each section, then rinse each section.

Bess - I love your signature - cracks me up every time I read it:)

Missigirl

I just changed my technique. I use shea butter/coconut oil mix to seal my ends for my weekly up do so I have to wash my hair as well as my scalp. I was trying to just wash my roots and let the shampoo roll down the ends , but my ends were not getting clean and I had a tangled sticky mess. :perplexed I also dilute my shampoo. I only clarify before protein treatments.

spellinto

I use a sulfate-free shampoo.
- I rinse my hair for a few seconds, then apply the shampoo to my scalp.
- I rinse this off, then apply the shampoo again to my scalp *and* the length of my hair (since I also use my shampoo as a conditioner).
- I put on a shower cap for a few minutes, wash my body, then rinse before I hop out of the shower.

Angelinhell

I just saturate my hair with water, squeeze some shampoo in my hands, and rub through my hair and scalp, pile on top of my head and scrub away for two or three lathers:look::blush:.
I may even start using a clarifying shampoo for my first lather weekly(I'm trying to use up a "moisturizer" that has beeswax in it). My hair is never tangled.

EnExitStageLeft

I wash at the sink in my kitchen. (I do not like washing my hair in the shower. I feel that I waste water and I can't get with the thought standing in a shower without running water. I feel odd :lol:.)

I always prepoo before shampooing by part my hair into two big sections with a part straight down the middle and applying my ceramide oils and then pinnning the sections with my butterfly slips. Once I get done prepooing I then put about a quarter size amount of shampoo into my palm and mix it with a bit of water so that it can lather a bit. I then apply shampoo to one of the sections in a downward motion. Once its applied evenly throughout the first 2 to three inches of my hair, its then that I begin to scrub my scalp with the pads of my fingers. I do this by gripping my hair into a ponytail and pulling tauntly (not hard) to apply tension so that reaching my scalp is easier (this is god sent when I'm deep in a stretch). Once I feel that my scalp is adequately clean I rinse the shampoo, lather once more just to make sure and rinse. I then twist it and pin it with butterfly clip and do the other section.

Its takes about 20 minutes to do it thoroughly, but its worth it. My hair isnt tangled or stripped......#WIN!

Last edited:

Soratachi

1. I wet my hair under the shower.
2. I apply shampoo to the scalp of the hair section and rub it through the length.
3. I run the tap, rinse, clip the section and go to the next one.

Jewell

1. Rinse for a few minutes while thoroughly massaging scalp.
2. Apply shampoo to scalp only. Massage it in well.
3. Allow shampoo to remain on scalp for 1-3 mins.
4. Rinse well and I usually only lather once unless rinsing and shampooing out relaxer or gritty Ayurvedic powders. After a relaxer I shampoo 3-5 times or until the color indicator in my neutralizing shampoo is white, and after powders or henna I shampoo twice.

greenandchic

-I prepoo my hair with various oil blends (depends on what I have - sometimes I mix a little cheap conditioner in my concoctions). Then I either:

-Go to the sink (I don't shampoo in the shower) wet my hair a little and add the shampoo to my scalp. Massage my scalp for a few minutes, rinse until crystal clear. Or:

---Take a hair color applicator bottle and mix a little water with shampoo and apply it to my scalp while massaging it in. And:

---I then rinse at the sink until the water runs crystal clear.

-Condition or DC, etc.

I always use sulfate free shampoos but shampoos that do lather for the most part.

PJaye

my 2nd option was not there.

I rinse my hair for several minutes before shampooing. I need to get out the gel

I put shampoo in my hair from roots to end in a downward motion to avoid tangling and raising of the cuticles. I massage my scalp gently with the shampoo and continue to move my hand in a downward motion from roots to end. This is the method that Cathy Howse teaches.

This is exactly what I do.:yep:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I going to coin a new term to label what I've been doing, based on reading this thread. The Triple S Method/Technique: Section, Scalp, and Squeegee. I adopted this about six months ago. It prevents tangles and gets your hair/scalp clean. In addition, it saves time.

I think I learned that on this board or on YT! I can't recall, I'm getting old...:look:

IMFOCSD

I have a shampoo bottle that has a mixture of water...I lightly shake the bottle and pour it on my scalp/hair, it lathers very well this way.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

ToSelahWithLove

I picked a few:

I rinse my hair for several minutes before shampooing -- I like my hair to be nice and wet. Scalp as well.

I apply shampoo to the scalp ONLY, the runoff will get my length clean -- Not sure how it benefits but I just got used to doing it after reading it on here somewhere lol

I leave the shampoo on for a few seconds to a minute or so -- I like to shampoo in sections, so I shampoo each section, then rinse out each section in the same order.

some things I didn't see up there:

-- I section my hair first
-- I apply conditioner to my hair in sections before shampooing
-- I shampoo twice (sometimes)

FoxxyLocs

I shampoo in 4-6 sections. Either I shampoo with braids that are loose at the root, or I twist the sections up and clip them. I wet my hair for a couple of minutes before shampooing and let it sit for a few minutes. I also shampoo the roots only. I've never considered shampooing dry hair, although I do DC on dry hair before I wash. I apply a leave in afterwards. Unless I'm flat ironing, then I DC after I shampoo.

Fhrizzball

I always have to shampoo 2 or 3 times to get all the gunk on my hair out. I wet my hair throughly apply the shampoo and scrub at my scalp and then rinse and repeat. I let the runoff get the rest of my hair unless the length feels really gunky.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
i voted for:
I apply shampoo to the scalp ONLY, the runoff will get my length clean

i have a twa now but the product i use to shampoo my hair with is a mud clay mixture.