She said my hair was going to fall out!!!

michaela

Natural 4b
I stopped getting my hair Pressed and i dont think i will ever turn back so im natural my sister went to get her hair pressed and she told my stylist i was experimenting went my hair! I have been Co-wash everday Sealing and washing once a week and my hair is Great but my Mom said my hair was going to fall out and i want have no hair and my hair dresser said im going through a phase and that for my hair to grow Grease it Brush and comb it and oil it! i kno some grease works well but the kind that she recommend contains Petrolem and mineral oil which is Drying for the Scalp! When i was Doing her recommend regimen my hair shedded and itched like CRAZY:nono:
Oh and i have heat damage from the pressing got it done every 3 weeks?
Will my hair Really fall out?

cmesweet

If you stay with her your hair might fall out, especially if her regimen was causing you to shed. Just take some time from her and when your hair does not fall out and grows to long length then show her:grin:

MonPetite

NO! NO! NO! A THOUSAND TIMES NO!

I cannot say that enough! Your hair WILL NOT fall out from co-washes. You DON'T have to press your hair for it to grow and if your scalp itches from mineral oil and petroleum then AVOID them! Many people still functions under old misconceptions about hair, retaining (growing) it, and black hair in general. :wallbash:

There are plenty of ladies here with wonderful results that can help you! I also have hordes of reviews of products to help you save $$$ and gather an idea of things that can help your hair in my fotki.

You're in the right place! :grin: Just keep asking questions and don't let them hustle you out of healthy hair relaxed or natural! :yep:

Last edited:

Aveena

oohhh! I would be so scared if my stylist started talking like this (if I had one) because this will be the excuse to CUT all your hair off in the future - it's almost like they have the power to prove you wrong and may do something to your head just to prove that they are right!!! :nono:
RUN - RUN - RUN

drea3084

NO! NO! NO! A THOUSAND TIMES NO!

I cannot say that enough! Your hair WILL NOT fall out from co-washes. You DON'T have to press your hair for it to grow and if your scalp itches from mineral oil and petroleum then AVOID them! Many people still functions under old misconceptions about hair, retaining (growing) it, and black hair in general. :wallbash:

There are plenty of ladies here with wonderful results that can help you! I also have hordes of reviews of products to help you save $$$ and gather an idea of things that can help your hair in your fotki.

You're in the right place! :grin: Just keep asking questions and don't let them hustle you out of healthy hair relaxed or natural! :yep:

Agreed! DON'T use the mineral oil and petroleum...everytime I hear someone saying they use then it makes me crinch! :wallbash: My hairdresser always told me to use the Design Essentials Hair Oil...not only did it make my hair an oily mess, it would collect dirt easliy, I was stratching my scalp non-stop and my hair would break off almost in clumps. Hence why I no longer go to her and have listened to the ladies here on this board.

NYAmicas

Seeker
Im relaxed and a stylist said I was washing my hair too much!:nono: I love my co-washes and my hair has gotten longer without that stylist. If it works for you it works for you and nothing can change that. There are many threads about people proving family, friends, and stylists wrong.:yep:

michaela

Natural 4b
Thank You all im going to Continue Doing what i do best!
Taking care of my own hair and stop letting people pump my head up with all the ignorance they have!

bravenewgirl87

I think you know that this is not true. Keep doing what you are doing!

Basically. Stop going to her and find another stylist. Tell your sister and mother to basically mind their own hair and not yours. My mother tells me that all the time, and is still shocked to see how thick and long my hair is becoming. Although, she still tells herself, and I am sure others, that because I have a different grade of hair than her I can do what I do and not have it fall out. Actually, since I started not co-washing at my mother's request, my hair has been breaking and not a strong or as soft as it normally is.

LadyKaypnyc

NO! My family used to say the same thing when I first went natual. I cowash as often as I like, and I don't (even when I was relaxed) ever put grease on my scalp. Since then, I went from collarbone length to APL with no breakage in sight.

Don't worry about them, if its working for you, do you, and prove em wrong:grin:

Mrs. Verde

Girl, don't believe the hype. You know what is best for your hair. I have been co-washing my hair for years. Never had a problem.

Christa438

I think you know that this is not true. Keep doing what you are doing!

ITA! Co-washing and sealing is working great for me too! I tried all that crap before that she was trying to tell you about. been there, done that, got nowhere. Im stickin to my reg & you should stick to yours too because you have the knowledge and the power.

GoingNatural

I stopped getting my hair Pressed and i dont think i will ever turn back so im natural my sister went to get her hair pressed and she told my stylist i was experimenting went my hair! I have been Co-wash everday Sealing and washing once a week and my hair is Great but my Mom said my hair was going to fall out and i want have no hair and my hair dresser said im going through a phase and that for my hair to grow Grease it Brush and comb it and oil it! i kno some grease works well but the kind that she recommend contains Petrolem and mineral oil which is Drying for the Scalp! When i was Doing her recommend regimen my hair shedded and itched like CRAZY:nono:
Oh and i have heat damage from the pressing got it done every 3 weeks?
Will my hair Really fall out?

No. When people hear you are washing your hair every day they automatically think Shampoo. Shampoo leads to thoughts of dryness. You are COwashing, not shampooing. You are fine.